Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:53 AM   #11
TrackSprinter

Default Re: Bi-Xenon HID retrofit

Here are a few pics. Not very good but here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6629.jpg (106.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6631.jpg (87.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6632.jpg (50.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6633.jpg (66.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6571.jpg (68.5 KB, 73 views)
TrackSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrackSprinter For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (05-19-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:40 AM   #12
jjg214

how difficult was the process of pulling the front lens off and resealing it after installing the projector?
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 AM   #13
Jgervs1102

Clean work!! Would love to do this on my 07
Jgervs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #14
TrackSprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg214 View Post
how difficult was the process of pulling the front lens off and resealing it after installing the projector?
effing difficult. and the other side was even more effing difficult. i hadn't considered that all those youtube videos were examples of CAR headlight removals, and not ginormous van headlights. so there is literally twice as much glue to pull apart. and if you don't use the correct tools, you will chew up both sides of the assembly pretty good. i warped the bastard difficult assembly, did an okay job of unwarping it however, it will always be in the back of my mind of not being close to perfect.

resealing it was A LOT easier. the warped one was a bit more difficult for obvious reasons.

so, lesson learned: use a lower oven temp for a lot longer and if possible, find someone with a gas oven because convection don't work so well for this type of work. and also, use a panel spreader. JHC, why didn't i just use my panel spreader???
Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #15
jjg214

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackSprinter View Post
effing difficult. and the other side was even more effing difficult. i hadn't considered that all those youtube videos were examples of CAR headlight removals, and not ginormous van headlights. so there is literally twice as much glue to pull apart. and if you don't use the correct tools, you will chew up both sides of the assembly pretty good. i warped the bastard difficult assembly, did an okay job of unwarping it however, it will always be in the back of my mind of not being close to perfect.

resealing it was A LOT easier. the warped one was a bit more difficult for obvious reasons.

so, lesson learned: use a lower oven temp for a lot longer and if possible, find someone with a gas oven because convection don't work so well for this type of work. and also, use a panel spreader. JHC, why didn't i just use my panel spreader???
Yeah i figured these headlights would be a bear to pull apart.

Did you get any warning lights on the dash? Are you using factory wiring to power the ballast or a relay setup?
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #16
TrackSprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg214 View Post
Did you get any warning lights on the dash? Are you using factory wiring to power the ballast or a relay setup?
Using the factory wiring however, the kit parts ordered along with the projectors also included the 35W ballasts, HID bulbs, and canbus harnesses. I made a y-harness to be able to use stock hi-beam when activating the projector hi-beam (the bulb is there, why not?)

I tried to install some 55W 5000K hi-beam bulbs but they would not work, threw the dash light. I think they were counterfeits, got them from Amazon. I may try again with some store bought bulbs but difficult to find the 5000K white to match the projectors.

I do have a glitch whereby when you first activate the headlight switch, it seems the canbus harnesses and/or ballasts seem to juice up, and until they get "full power" will blink 4-5 times before staying on.

The representative I spoke to seemed convinced that I needed a different harness, I think another $100something which would solve this problem. It included two additional relays and another several feet of (re)wiring. But I passed. So far, I think it is a minor glitch compared to the benefit of how much better I can see now. There is no "problem" actually as the lights come on and stay on (with a few seconds of warm up). I will live with it.