Our new Coach House RV

chromisdesigns

Hi Chromisdesigns,

When you say "Get the second battery option" do you mean to get four 6 volt batteries instead of standard two 6 volts? With a solar panel option (160W for $1495 extra), wouldn't four batteries be an overkill? (or am I showing my ignorance). 160W with 12V (with loss) is less than 10 Amps (?). Or do the generator (propane or diesel) charge the batteries? (again I may be showing my ignorance) I suppose more batteries are better than less...particularly if shore power is not available.

What is the advantage of the manual awning versus a power one, excluding the price of power awning option at $2960? Less to go wrong I am sure, but how does one extend the manual awning? Even the manual awning is probably not free...how much did you save?

We plan on asking Coach House to remove the TV and blue ray player, but keep all the other peripherals such as wiring, antenna, speakers, etc. I think this is a good idea on your part.

The Platinum II comes with two Fantastic Fans with rain sensors. Are you suggesting to get another type of a fan or another type of a vent cover?

The standard inverter is rated at 1,000 W. Why did you option for 600 W inverter? Aren't higher rated inverters better than a lower rated one? (or am I showing my ignorance again?). If the two 6V batteries are rated at 220 amp hours and assuming 50% usage, 110 amp hours x 12 volts = 1,320 watts...is 1,000 watt inverter enough? As with solar panels and generators...this stuff is confusing.

Other than what you recommended, I plan on adding the following:

(1) Heating Pads for grey and black tanks
(2) Stabilizer Jacks (will increase GVW by approximately 85 lbs.)
(3) Wifi Amplifier
(4) Solar Panel (160W...probably only good as a "trickle charger.")
(5) Auto-starting generator switch (to save our two cats left in our van during our absence).

I am still debating whether nor not to order a diesel generator (weighs 27 lbs. more) in lieu of propane. Any thoughts on this?

Also, still debating on adding a macerator pump. The wife wants it, but I am leaning towards not adding this as an option. Any thoughts on this?

Also, anybody order extra seatbelt sets on these vans...or most of you traveling just as a couple with no additional passengers. Stock Platinum II only comes with two sets of seatbelts.

Also debating on Alcoa aluminum wheels. Are these worth it?
All of this info is current as of three years ago when we bought our coach -- options may have changed since then.

Standard house battery was a single 12v 100 ah battery. "second battery" option replaced that with dual 6v, 220 ah lifeline agm batteries for over twice as much capacity. We have used the additional run time on many occasions.

Now there may also be a lithium battery option, if so you should consider it. Lithiums while expensive nearly double useable capacity of an equivalent lead acid battery, and weigh about half as much.

Batteries are charged by driving from the alternator, shore power via battery charger, or generator via battery charger, or solar.

Inverter size is determined by how much current you need. To run microwave, coffee pots, etc. you need a big one, 2000 watt probably. We just use ours to charge our iThings, etc. so got the minimum size they offered at the time.

We like our manual awning, I think it was about $1600 installed. Comes with a detachable crank, you just crank it out, lower the support legs, and you are done. One less motor to die.

You can get a vent cover that works with the fantastic fans. The problem with the rain sensor is that someday either it or the lift motor will fail, and you will get wet. I just finished replacing a lift motor in our rear fan. Also it is nice to be able to crack them in a rainstorm and let in some fresh air, Without the vent cover you have to close them completely.

The 160W solar panel is good for more than a trickle charger, btw. If you camp in sunny places, it will go a long way toward keeping your batteries topped up. That's the one option we didn't get that I have since regretted passing over.

Tank heaters we got, but have only used once or twice. They run on 12v so if you don't have shore power will eat the batteries pretty fast.

Diesel vs LP generator is a hard choice. If you plan on running it a lot, the diesel makes sense, costs less to run, runs longer on the same amount of fuel, and requires less frequent rebuilds. But the initial cost is a lot more.

I didn't know CH offered auto-start option on generator. How does it work? If it is based on battery levels like the ones in class a motor homes, then it is only useful if you have a big enough inverter and battery bank to run the air conditioner from the inverter, starting the generator as needed to bring the batteries back up. With the stock batteries you might just as well run the generator all the time while you are running A/C away from shore power.

Not sure this is practical without lithium batteries and probably a second bank, as well.

Everybody I know who has had a macerator pump loves it right up until it quits, which they all do. Then they hate it. The stinky slinky has no moving parts to clog or fail. Dumping only takes a few minutes. I vote no macerator pump.

chromisdesigns

Hi there chromisdesigns.

It appears that you are the resident "guru" for this forum. Could I PM you to pick your brain so to speak? I have spoken to a Coach House representative (Jason) already to discuss what options to add, etc. We also do not need a TV (and other superfluous things during camping trips) and would like to know if price for those items were deducted.

The wife and I went to Portland (Oregon) RV Fair last weekend and that was the first time we had ever looked at some RVs in person. During the fair, we came to the conclusion that out of all the smaller motorized RVs (based on MB Sprinter chassis), Leisure Travel Van Unity 24TB looked the best. However, a total stranger that we spoke to at the fair told us to look into Coach House Platinum II before making our final decision. That advice led us to this forum. Unfortunately, there are not many (can't find any nearby online) Platinum IIs for sale in the Pacific Northwest for us to look at in person.

Thus, your input would be invaluable during our purchase process. Looks like you have had your van for around three years...any impressions you would like to share?
Yes, they adjust the price to reflect options added or deleted. We have the DRT model you are considering and love it.

Are you ever in the Monterey Bay area? You are welcome to come look at our rig and we can take it for a drive as well. Or we will be up your way later in the year after mud season is over.

RVNewbie

Yes, they adjust the price to reflect options added or deleted. We have the DRT model you are considering and love it.

Are you ever in the Monterey Bay area? You are welcome to come look at our rig and we can take it for a drive as well. Or we will be up your way later in the year after mud season is over.
Thank you so much for your kind comments and valuable information. I was in the Pebble Beach area last July but unfortunately do not have any plans at the moment.

There are couple of things that complicate our purchase; (1) since this is our first RV purchase we have much to learn and (2) we plan to take this RV back with us to Japan when we move back early next year (after touring the US for several months). Thus, I am not only learning things I never thought were necessary in regards to RVs, but also doing my due diligence in terms of what is important in getting the RV registered in Japan (as well as transport).

When will you be near Portland, Oregon? Would love to meet you at a campground nearby (or the coast) or you are welcome to swing by our house. CH has tried to contact an owner in Salem (about 35 minutes south of where I live), but no response so far.

BTW...how do you send a PM via this forum? Can't seem to find out how to do this...I guess I am a newbie in these forums as well.

RVNewbie

A few more questions if you don't mind.

(1) Do you have the 240 DRT or 241 XL DRT? In other words, one without the slide or one with the slide. Any rationale or impressions one way or another?

(2) Is the dinette area big enough for two average sized people to sit and work with laptops?

Thanks again!

chromisdesigns

A few more questions if you don't mind.

(1) Do you have the 240 DRT or 241 XL DRT? In other words, one without the slide or one with the slide. Any rationale or impressions one way or another?

(2) Is the dinette area big enough for two average sized people to sit and work with laptops?

Thanks again!
With the slide. Yes easily.

If you spend a lot of time inside the slide is a nice feature, it adds a lot of interior space.

Downside is it also adds a lot of weight, which subtracts from your carrying capacity. Still for two people I think it makes sense.

chromisdesigns

If you get one let me know and I will give you info on a company in the Midwest that makes ultra-light table tops. If you use the convertible dinette as a bed much, the Corian table is VERY heavy to take down and set up. We had them duplicate ours and I can now do it with one hand and no strains. Cheap, too --about $150 delivered.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Nice.... But does that AWACS antenna need to be so high??
Provides line of sight for distant TV stations - otherwise you are trying to receive through the A/C unit. I have noted this flaw in the View - the directional TV antenna is no higher than the coils on the Mach 8. I would think this would cause significant attenuation.

pierrem53

We just purchased a 2015 used platinum II 241xl DT.

Any help finding the HOUSE battery. Their is a battery in the engine compartment on the drivers side. Is that the only battery?

thanks for any help.

Pierre

Top Bottom