DPF issue.

daddypine

Daddypine
Hi again,

The vehicle is a 2008 Cdi 313 panel van conversion to a motorhome.

Having now learned from you guys that starting my vehicle once a month during a winter layup is not a good idea, I am still faced with the amber engine light flashing, which started while moving the vehicle during a blizzard.

I purchased an icarsoft MBii and initially it was throwing up the codes P2455 and P1955, with an occasional P1405.

I had little choice but to take the vehicle on a 850 mile trip, and lived in the hope maybe things would come good but alas no.

The vehicle ran most of the time with a lack of power but would maintain 75mph on fairly level highway all be it fairly slow to get it there, and down to 4th gear on motorway hills.

From a warm start up on two occasions during the trip, the flashing light changed to constant, during which time the engine ran as normal with normal power. On stopping the engine to park up, the vehicle went back to it's semi limp mode state again.

Having familiarised myself with the MBii a little more, I found a page suggesting the last re-gen was 29,000 km's ago. Does this indicate a fault on the re-gen side as well as possibly being a DPF issue or, does it suggest a re-gen has not been needed.

Would love to get things back to normal again if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
regards, Paul.

D

Deleted member 50714

I am still learning but based on your practice of warm-up idling, age and performance of vehicle and codes, I am "guessing" you have a clogged DPF and EGR issues. Perhaps other members will chime in.

Unfortunately, due to the complexity of modern vehicle's, especially Mercedes, it would be best to have your vehicle scanned by a Mercedes diagnostic system. Otherwise you will be guessing and wasting money.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p2455

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/topic135536.aspx

http://www.carobdcode.com/p1405-mercedes-benz-egr-temperature-incorrect

Last edited by a moderator:

daddypine

Daddypine
Hi,
I forgot to mention, not sure if it has any relevance but we had a new EGR fitted last year.

Regards, Paul.

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
I did a short stint working at Melbourne airport servicing aircraft refueling trucks, all of the trucks are only ever driven very short distances at very low speed.
Those vehicles fitted with DPF's were constantly going into limp mode due to clogged DPF's.

Different ideas were tried to get them unclogged, the Isuzu trucks had a burn off facility built in, the truck would sit there for ages doing its thing of revving up and spewing all manner of sh1t everywhere.

The Toyotas that didnt have the inbuilt burn off facility were put through a burn off via a scanner.

All of the trucks would return to clogged/limp mode within days of the burn off.

The solution, remove the DPF and manually wash it, every conceivable solution was tried.
What worked best? Hot soapy water.

It becomes tedious to have to do this but it was the only way to keep the trucks operating. :idunno:

daddypine

Daddypine
Hi all,
Just wanted to report I managed to fix the issue with the light on the dash and the DPF codes.

I took a punt and swapped the exhaust pressure switch, I figured for £25.00, and looking like a very likely candidate, it was worth a try....................It worked. I used the MB11 to turn off the dash light and bingo, back to full power again. Been on a 750 mile round trip to Cornwall and she never missed a beat.

Thanks to all for your input. :smilewink:

lindenengineering

This reinforces my posts that many serious faults created essentially start with a simple overlooked /ignored 25 Dollar or Quid sensor !
Well done!~
I hope you stopped for a pint of scrump in my old part of the world going down to Cornwall!:smilewink:
Dennis

Top Bottom