Roof Leak

dtw56

We have a 2012 Plateau TS and recently, whenever it rains, the wall above the passenger wheel tire gets wet -- not the entire wall but just above wheel and close to the floor. I've caulked the seal around the A/C and put dicor leveling around the awning connections but it continues to leak.

Where it's parked the rear of the rig is slightly higher so I figure the leak has to be coming from the back half of the roof.

Any ideas on where the water could be coming in?

Thanks.

I believe you already got your answer from the PW owners group.
Check and reseal the window. A reputable auto glass or RV shop should be able to do this.

skipsteller

Hi DTW56,

If it was the window, OK. If not....

I have a 2016 Ascent. It leaked where the awning wires and awning "night light" wires go through the roof and was draining into the back cabinet (and then down on my head). The wires had been taped from where they come out of the awning enclosure and on down into the RV. They were not leaking where they were sealed going through the roof. Instead, the water was draining off the awning enclosure and down through the inside of the tape, between the wires, and draining out on the inside of the RV where the tape ended. It just happened that the wires were leaning against the cabinet so that the water dripped into the cabinet. Otherwise, I may have had a similar experience as you.

It was a pretty simple repair. I removed the sealer, removed the tape, spread the wires out a bit to get sealer around and between each of the wires where they go through the roof, and resealed them. Then, just to be sure the leak was fixed (and for future use), I got a carpet dryer blower and a plastic tube to pressurize the RV, and made a DIY manometer. With these, I checked the whole RV for leaks. None found!

Good luck with yours!
Skip

Westham

I believe you already got your answer from the PW owners group.
Check and reseal the window. A reputable auto glass or RV shop should be able to do this.
I have a 2008 PW Plateau TS which has a similar leak in heavy rains in CA (does not often rain here in Los Angeles) the van is parked mostly on my drive on a slight downwards slope, the rain water leaks at the bottom rear of the passenger side wheel arch, but the window wall of the inside of the coach never seems to feel wet? I drilled a small hole in the underside of the wheel well behind the mud flap to allow any water build up to escape.
I am unsure if it is the window leaking as I have put a lot of water onto the window via a garden hose without leaks showing, does anyone know of a reputable glass or RV repair shop in the Los Angeles area? Does anyone have any other any other suggestions?
Any help/advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

Top Bottom