Creating more storage space under rear couch/bed?

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
I covet the DIY camper van conversions with loads of storage under the bed.
Has anyone tried to elevate the rear bed?
Even 3 inches would allow a 12 inch box under the bed.
9 inches would be even better.
We never use it as a couch.
Any ideas?
Thanks

F. Allen Jones

I covet the DIY camper van conversions with loads of storage under the bed.
Has anyone tried to elevate the rear bed?
Even 3 inches would allow a 12 inch box under the bed.
9 inches would be even better.
We never use it as a couch.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Hi,
I have An 06/07 LTV Free Spirit which came new with a storage unit under the sofa bed.
It is 33 inches long by 25 inches wide by 12 1/2 inches deep. It is white plastic and
topped with a carpeted cover. There is no brand label or markings on the "tub".
Because we travel in some remote areas, it contains things
I hope I don't need; like jumper cables, new sewer line, extra water hose and 30 amp
extension shore line. Also tools, leveling planks, screen door and extra long TV cable etc.
don't quite fill it up. I carry two folding chairs in canvas cases under the sofa. I too
am very careful not to "stuff" anything under the sofa to "snag" the sofa/bed mechanism.
I don't know whether you have your spare tire mounted under the van where my storage unit
is. My spare is mounted on the rear hitch. It may require some extensive construction to
install the unit,but I think it would be well worth it. I enclose two pictures to show
the storage unit. If you are interested, I'm sure LT would sell you one.

Allen

Windrat

desperately in need of toy storage first tried building some steel frames to to raise the elelctric sofa to the level of the countertops which worked and the sofa could still rise and give us a tight table for two with the two side seats but after one trip my wife said lets just toast the sofa which is not really that comfortable to sleep on And build a plywood deck now I can store two road bikes one on either side two sets of golf clubs and folding four wheel carts two kite boards, my unicycle and a Clam pop up screen tent that goes up in 45 seconds plus room to spare. We invested in an 8 inch thick memory foam mattress and now we sleep really well. We sacrificed the inside table but it was pia to use anyway. We have done a few trips with this set up and never regret the change. we pull in to a campsite pop up the clam tent over the picnic table and we have a dry bug free living room in less than a minute the fine screen almost totally cuts the wind but we have a couple of side covers too if there is driving rain.
I am going to build a small table that will attach tot he dash so we can play crib etc sitting up front for rest stop over nights when we don't set up the screen tent

I used three sheets of 3/4 plywood most of two used for the bed deck added angel iron down the sides and built an open ended box with a vertical center support and a shelf for the screen tent I can take the bed out in about five minutes to provide a huge cargo space and everything fits snug and squeak free with out the need for screws to hold it in place .

Finding the down side to RVing is you tend to bring everything with you it gets insane :)

Gifu

Hey Windrat, can you post Picts of this rear bed? This is exactly what I want to do. Or maybe email me a few if it's easier?
B.sulli (at) gmail

Stepmal

Hello, I realize that your post is older, but I am interested in creating a raised bed for more storage underneath also. I am particularly interested in how you are able to remove your bed in ten minutes.
If you could post pictures and a description of your bed and construction and attachment methods it would really help me.
Thanks, Steve

Top Bottom