Storage

Hardride

We are considering downsizing and have been looking at the Pleasure Way TS and FL. While there a lot of things that I really like about the PW like the preceded build quality, LI batteries, auto get start, comfort of the beds, I am really curious how existing get by with so little storage in the back of the coach. Of all the B's we looked at, the PW has the lease amount of storage. One sales man suggested a "pod" of the trailer hitch. How do you fit two chairs, a barbecue, and other items in the back? However, If we were going to add length to the vehicle with a "pod" we might as well get the longer MB sprinter with about 15 more inches of storage. Additionally, we want the hitch for a foldaway bike rack. Additionally can anyone comment on the seemingly small fresh water tank (24 gallons) and black thank (12 gallons). No problem if you are in a campground with hookups, but what about dry camping?

Appreciate any advice from your own experience.

Thanks.

skipsteller

Hi Hardride,

We have a 2016 PW Ascent.

There's room under the back seat for 2 sets of stacking levelers, sewer hose leveler, sewer hose 90 deg., main power cord with tester,
water hose with pressure reg., two light weight fold up chairs, the fix-a-flat kit, and a few small misc. items. We also have the spare tire carrier, but everything is readily accessible through the passenger side rear door.

We store a rolled-up "welcome" mat against the outside wall of the bathroom so it doesn't interfere with normal use of the bathroom. We have one set of ceiling (under cabinet) hooks for a fishing rod, two ceiling (under cabinet)paper towel holders, and one tissue box holder on the wall above the microwave.

We removed the table and bed support slats from behind the drivers seat since we don't use them, and replaced them with a 12 ft telescoping ladder and leaf blower for maintenance and to blow off leaves before retracting the awning. We use a 13 gal trash bag with one of the draw straps hung over the drivers head rest for daily trash.

We store bottled water and sodas between the rear seat and side seats while traveling and move them to the front seats/floor while camping.

We store sleeping bags, blankets, and pillows on the back seat while traveling. That leave plenty of space in the overhead cabinets for cloths and jackets, etc. We put light weight food (boxes, etc.) in the overhead cabinets above the sink/stove area, and the heavy food (cans, etc.) in the lower cabinets.

If you don't mind giving up the space while traveling, you could store a small BBQ in the aisle or in the bathroom, but I think I would opt for a small storage rack/bin on the back of the RV.

If I recall correctly, the tanks are 20 fresh, 15 gray, and 10 black. We're usually in a park and use their shower, but otherwise, the on-board tanks are adequate for 2-3 days before we have to use the hookups to refill or dump.

Hope this helps!
Skip

Rock Doc

Hardride,

We have a 2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS. Although there are some compromises that must be made in what and how much we can carry, we’ve been satisfied. We don’t carry a BBQ, but do fine with the kitchen in the coach. For extra storage, I added four large hooks on the back side of the rear overhead cabinet (the side next to the rear doors), and we hang backpacks from there, which adds a lot for our storage. (I also hang a folding rocker chair from those hooks.) I also am able to store the more-than-enough tools I carry, an air compressor for the tires, hoses, 30 amp power cable, folding shovel, etc. beneath the rear sofa/bed. We carry a Reflectix windshield shade behind the driver seat along with a squeegee and window cleaner fluid.

We have found the fresh, gray and black tanks to be good or about 3 days dry camping as well, so that’s been adequate for us. We divvy up the inside storage for other things like clothing, foodstuffs, pots, pans, dishes, souvenir storage, etc. (You have to pick and choose what’s important enough to you to take along.)

However, if you’re determined to take along larger items, like loungers or BBQs, you will need to look to a hitch-mounted carrier. (You’ll never go wrong having the hitch. It’s like the Subaru ads from 40 years ago—better to have and not need than need and not have.)

In the end, it’s about what priorities you have and the compromises you're willing to make to satisfy those priorities. If you want more storage, you’re going to have to compromise nimbleness for a larger vehicle. If you want the nimbleness of a smaller coach, you’re going to have to compromise to less storage. Unless you can build in a Mary Poppins carpet bag, you can’t have both. (And if you do figure that one out, please let me know!!)

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS on 2013 Sprinter 3500 chassis

Top Bottom