will bad nox sensors cause damage to engine if driven beyond ltd starts?

rollerbearing

Poking around on Ebay I see there are sellers with exactly that - sensor heads with waterproof wire connectors meant to be spliced on to the CAN Bus interface box in place of a bad sensor.

Not saying this is a good idea at all - probably best to invest the money on proper Gen 5 sensors - BUT if it saves a vacation or a long tow maybe it would make good temporary sense.

Just don't know how the Sprinter Computer will respond to a formerly labelled "Bad" sensor coming on-line in a functional state again.

Last edited:

4wheels

You will see a dramatic increase in oil consumption only when the valve completely fails. The valve does leak oil with time and without failing completely. What I wrote in my post above is based on my experience and tests that i did.

On my 2008 3.0 L Sprinter I have replaced the PCV valve at 113k for the first time and the compressor side of the turbo was wet with oil along with the resonator and intercooler, and intercooler hoses. After I cleaned everything I did change the PCV valve and for a period of about 35k I did not have any oil whatsoever in any of the hoses, compressor or resonator. I was also loosing about 1/2-3/4 of a quart of oil between changes before I did change the PCV valve.

Since the 113K I have been changing the PCV valve every time I change the fuel filter, 40-45k. No more oil loss or oil anywhere in the hoses or compressor, or intercooler. Now at almost 400k, still no oil anywhere... So it makes a difference.
I had to dig out this thread
I recently replaced PCV valve on my 2014 v6 with over 300k . Out of curiosity and because of Dima74's post.
My turbo hose does not sweat anymore !!!
See screenshot picture from our beloved SD europarts . It looks kinda funny now..
Yes , they could be right about it , but after replacing PCV valve I just don't see any sweating on turbo hose anymore.
I got PCV valve from dealer , it was like $170 , after 30% discount
I see now that ID parts sells just the seal for like $40+ ( see picture)
Thanks goes to Dima74
And happy Sprintering !

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Mikefh

I bought a 2012 3500 Sportsmobile conversion 2 years ago with 31k, now have 55k, used for vacation travel. I have had an ECL for a while, and finally bought Torque code reader. It is showing a P2202 NOx sensor failure. When I graph the pre and post NOx sensors, the post is showing no output, pre is 2k. I visually checked the wiring by the cat and it appears okay. Is no output a typical failure? Does this seem like wiring, or a sensor failure?
I have read a lot of posts on here, and it seems that different years have different reqmts, such as some allow Xentry to adapt, others have to go to a dealer. Some years seem to allow replacement of a single sensor, others require both. Any experience or thoughts on splicing in a replacement sensor head?

gordita30

I posted a "Blurr the Blurrtech" post to enable owners like yourself to carry on driving their Sprinters when a count down occurs, and its inconvenient to cut short a trip. Saves you from languishing in a dealer chocolate box waiting room, watching mindless soap operas or some political pundit spurting off about some boring subject by the likes of Fox News or CNN.
When of course you could be scudding about enjoying the open road in your van.

Ostensibly the idea is to get you home, dump the van for repairs and reinstate your emission system at your convenience both in time and when the budget allows.

Really, although I shouldn't state the obvious you should be squirreling away a few dollars (10 Bucks) every week to cover unexpected repair emergencies like this.
Then you can simply dump it at the nearest MB dealer, and tell them (local dealer) to fix the bloody thing--Then No worries ! Life made simple with no brain damage

Now to reinforce you MUST NOT disconnect the FORWARD NOx sensor at the socket. The system is quite clever , and total disconnection will make it freak out!
Rather you unscrew the sensor from the exhaust pipe and tie it up with zip tie.
Leave the open threaded port OPEN this allows fresh air into the SCR bazooka tube and fools the rear sensor which is left UNTOUCHED.
You won't know that there is an escape of gas at idle nor scudding down the road at speed

The count down light will remain of course ,but the count down proper will stay at say three starts left.
In some cases depending upon the fault it might even go out leaving the CEL on.

Of course to reiterate again, this is not a permanent fix , so I hope you will make the endeavor to fix it when the cash allows.
Think of kids with asthma in your area and their lost school time if that is any incentive.

All the best to you in Kansas and I will know if NOx is drifting into our Colorful and picturesque Rocky Mountain high lovely crisp climate. We are owed that much at least!. :thumbup:
Dennis

'

gordita30

I posted a "Blurr the Blurrtech" post to enable owners like yourself to carry on driving their Sprinters when a count down occurs, and its inconvenient to cut short a trip. Saves you from languishing in a dealer chocolate box waiting room, watching mindless soap operas or some political pundit spurting off about some boring subject by the likes of Fox News or CNN.
When of course you could be scudding about enjoying the open road in your van.

Ostensibly the idea is to get you home, dump the van for repairs and reinstate your emission system at your convenience both in time and when the budget allows.

Really, although I shouldn't state the obvious you should be squirreling away a few dollars (10 Bucks) every week to cover unexpected repair emergencies like this.
Then you can simply dump it at the nearest MB dealer, and tell them (local dealer) to fix the bloody thing--Then No worries ! Life made simple with no brain damage

Now to reinforce you MUST NOT disconnect the FORWARD NOx sensor at the socket. The system is quite clever , and total disconnection will make it freak out!
Rather you unscrew the sensor from the exhaust pipe and tie it up with zip tie.
Leave the open threaded port OPEN this allows fresh air into the SCR bazooka tube and fools the rear sensor which is left UNTOUCHED.
You won't know that there is an escape of gas at idle nor scudding down the road at speed

The count down light will remain of course ,but the count down proper will stay at say three starts left.
In some cases depending upon the fault it might even go out leaving the CEL on.

Of course to reiterate again, this is not a permanent fix , so I hope you will make the endeavor to fix it when the cash allows.
Think of kids with asthma in your area and their lost school time if that is any incentive.

All the best to you in Kansas and I will know if NOx is drifting into our Colorful and picturesque Rocky Mountain high lovely crisp climate. We are owed that much at least!. :thumbup:
Dennis

'
Where can I read this post, I want to be proactive in case my sprinter goes I to countdown.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)

Search is your friend.

gordita30

Search is your friend.
Lol, thanks.

Top Bottom