Ontario DIY conversion insurance

FishHog

looking for recommendations. Currently with TD, and they bluntly said as soon as I modify my van they will no longer insure me.

Calling around but not having much luck as soon as I mention doing a conversion.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

FishHog

You may want to check out declared value insurance, where insurance value (and premiums) are based on an appraisal of the vehicle with all custom additions. I had to do that for a vehicle I modified as the “book” value didn’t approach my investment. RBC wouldn’t handle it so I went with Haggerty and was very pleased, not as expensive as I thought.

tester123

thanks for the tip.
Fishhog, trail talk, in the same boat as you in terms of insurance. Cooperators is, well, not being so cooperative so am hunting for other options.

If I may ask a few questions:
1. Were you able to get non commercial plates (blue plates) for your sprinters?
2. What insurance company did you end up going with fishhog?
3. (A bit personal, and will change based on driver) What sort of premium was hagerty quoting you trail talk? Just ballpark — like 2k, 5k or 10k? And do they know you intend to live in it full time ?

Thanks both

FishHog

I'm just finalizing with Cooperators as my current policies expire in a few weeks, and letting them run out. Current pricing is about $700, but will drop when I register it as an RV.
Mine has just standard passenger vehicle plates, not commercial.

What sort of premium was hagerty quoting you trail talk? Just ballpark — like 2k, 5k or 10k? And do they know you intend to live in it full time ?
Sorry for the late reply. The vehicle was a race car, not a Sprinter, so the premium wouldn't correlate. However, I plan on going the same route when we take possession of our NCV3 this fall.

Last edited:

Top Bottom