Building 170 Sprinter Camper Van. Which option should I choose?

SprinterMover

Hi, I was looking at the usual Sprinter RVs narrowing it down to a Winnebagoe View H. Only issue is they look cumbersome and have little ground clearance.

Then I came across several web pages showing how to build a Camper Van. Love this idea. Stealthy plain vanilla white.

question for you folks:
Is the extended version worth the extra 15"? Is there an issue with maneuverability, especially going offroad. For a 2-wheel drive vehicle. Nothing crazy offroad.

What year should I get? Interested in a 3-liter version. Are there any years to avoid?

I would like to use it for weeklong trips, carry 2 motorcycles, raised platform bed, kitchen, sink, solar panels.

thanks,

Mike

walsheesh

Hey Mike,
I just ordered a 4x4 last month, 170,cargo to convert to a camper. From what I gathered most like the stealth of a 144 but i was not willing to sacrifice the room. The 170 ext could have issues with rear end drag in some situations so I chose not to go that way. The clearance with the 4x4 will give me some added benefit with the 170 length. Hope I made the right decision!

vmcore

You have done what I am planing, 170 and 4x4 is must for base. Need that extra space, and 4x4 for as much off road as I can get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
Is the extended version worth the extra 15"? Is there an issue with maneuverability, especially going offroad. For a 2-wheel drive vehicle. Nothing crazy offroad.
One dealer I talked to when I was buying my 2015 170 4x4 said they've seen a couple of instances where folks with the 170 EXT version hit the bollards at the end of gas pump islands as they were pulling away. Apparently the rear swings out significantly further than the wheel track.

I've not had that kind of problem with my 170.

It's not got the exit clearance or high-centering capacity that a 144 would have, but (at least with the extra ~4" of 4x4 clearance) I've not had issues on any of the forest roads we've used so far, and we've seen some pretty major water bars and ruts.

There are loads of people that use the 2WD version to go offroad. For such a massive van, it does pretty well.

Top Bottom