Conked out!

fisjon

Hi guys,
I am in the process of building a camper in a 1996 2.9/5cylinder.
Just went out to get some ply linings from Wickes. Got half a mile down the road when the motor just cut out. The EDC light came on and the glow plug light flashed a couple of times.

I gave the motor a minute to calm down and restarted, ran the engine at slightly fast tickover to warm up a bit and it missed a beat or two several times with both lights flicking on and off.
Eventually the EDC light stayed on so headed for home and got back safe.

Previously I have replaced the glow plug unit and the ignition switch as the glow plug light failed to show and the engine would not start. It has been ok up to now but a few days ago I noted that the glow plug light started to fail to show on the occasional cold start so I had to switch the ignition several times before it lit up. Are there any relays that operate this unit that could be faulty?

One other thing is that I let a garage change my oil and filters about six weeks ago!!! Could there be a connection (or lack of one):hmmm:

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
I was interested how ECU codes are implemented on the 1990s vans so took a look around. I found one post that says you can only read codes with MB star. I was kind of hoping it would display codes by a flashing a dash light when you turn on and off the ignition a few times in succession. Some other cars of that era work this way (Subaru and VW come to mind).

Here is another post about the EDC light: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10754

fisjon

thanks for that guys, I can see it is not an easy fix (solenoid failure or the like) My only compensation on this is that to get to the Merc dealer it is all downhill!

fisjon

Problem solved!
When I bought the van I really did not take much notice of the fact that it came with a 70amp car battery.
I have now fitter a new 100amp, much larger battery and everything works ok.
The glow plug light comes on straight away on turn of the key and the EDC light went out 30 seconds after startup with the new battery.

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Your old battery must have been dodgy, larger capacitance wouldnt make any difference.
Or, you had a loose battery terminal.

fisjon

Latest on the Saga!
Cold this morning, went to start the sprinter and no glow plug light. Turned ignition on and off several times and still no joy. Lights bright, engine will turn over but no point in trying to start it as we all know they wont start without the juice being warmed up.

Friend of mine had a look, (he has a diesel Alfa and just changed his glow plugs) he spotted a join in one of the glow plug wires and a melty looking wire on another plug.

I have purchased a set of glow plugs and I am looking for a replacement wiring harness. No luck on the harness just yet. Waiting for the Merc dealer to get back to me.

Will let you know how it goes..........................:yell:

fisjon

Update
New glow plugs
New air temp gauge (found bad connection here, now fixed)
Charged battery now reading 13.56 volts
No glow plug light on dash no start (engine turns but no start)
Any help appreciated
thanks!

fisjon

Update
When turning ignition switch there is no click on the fuel stop solenoid.
When I put a live cable to the solenoid it clicks, the glow plugs light up and the engine starts straight away. When I remove the jump cable the engine stops.

Tested the cable to the solenoid from the connector just before the ECU and it is good.

The question is, where is the fault?

Any ideas!

fisjon

Faulty fuel stop or ECU?

POSTED IN THE USA AND MOVED HERE AFTER GETTING A GOOD RESPONSE, THERE IS ALWAYS ONE WHO KNOWS BETTER.......................

Been having a few issues with the T1N 2,9/5

Intermittent starting and one cut out roll to a halt on the highway.

Done lots of checking, replaced air temp gauge, (looked tatty) and done some wiring checks. Fitted new glow plugs. No start!

Got a mate to sit in driver seat while I carried out checks and noticed that there was no audible click on the fuel stop solenoid when ignition switched on.

Used a jump lead from solenoid to positive on battery and the solenoid clicked, the glow plug light came on and the engine started up. Remove jump lead and engine stops.

Tested fuel stop solenoid cable all way to the connector in the bag by the ECU and it is good, but solenoid not being energised on ignition.

Where is the fault? ECU? Sensors not energising the ECU? Confused!!:hmmm:

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Sounds like a failed relay.

Do you have wiring diagrams for your Sprinter?

You did say it was a 1996 2.9 litre 5 cylinder didn't you?

Keith.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Re: Faulty fuel stop or ECU?

It is not necessarily a bad ECU, for the ECU has to get a good signal from all critical sensors before the ECU will allow power to solenoid for a start. An engine diagnosis scan with a Sprinter compatible scanner is needed to find the sensor detecting something wrong.

Been having a few issues with the T1N 2,9/5

I assume that is a 2.9L 5 cylinder? That is an older engine that we don't have in NAFTA land. A live data scan tool may help.

Where is the fault? ECU? Sensors not energising the ECU? Confused!!:hmmm:
I can't add anything specific. You tested the wires good to the stop solenoid that you jumper 12 volt power to. My thinking is that when doing that you are back feeding 12 volts to where it should be, but isn't (glow plug circuit comes alive).

Have you carefully checked all the fuses? There could be one that is loose in the holder. Add a fuse/stack units have a history of creating problems, not that you have one of those. Harnesses are known to chafe. Connectors can become loose. I suppose it could be ignition switch or relay related. (Wiggle some relays? The NAS aka NAFTA T1N's have an ECU relay in Fuse Block #1 which can be swapped with adjacent relays.) Those are suggestions only. Not a diagnosis.

Good luck.

vic

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Well I am familiar with the build spec of these engines but before we go any further I need to know if the FIE system is a rotary Bosch distributor style injection pump with electric add on through the governor case , or an in line jerk style pump with electronic control box at on the side of the pump cam box?

Dennis
Mechanic

fisjon

Hi Dennis,
I really would not know how to identify the type of pump but I can describe it.
The pump looks cylindrical near the front of the engine where it takes it's drive from. There is a square section further back. There are five high pressure pipes at the back, above that is the stop solenoid, on the outer casing (facing away from the engine) is a flat black connector/cover attached with four screws and a thick cable. On top of the pump is a fuel return pipe. Does that help?
john
PS. Thanks to Aqua Puttana and Nelson Sprinter for your input, it all makes sense.

fisjon

Sounds like a failed relay.

Do you have wiring diagrams for your Sprinter?

You did say it was a 1996 2.9 litre 5 cylinder didn't you?

Keith.
Hi Keith,
I have removed and checked all the relays that I can find and they all energise and when energised the activated contact all show a complete circuit.
I cant find any reference to what these relays do, the Haynes manual is quite useless in this respect.
john

fisjon

Taken the sprinter to a Bosch diagnostics service dealer in Cardiff. !!
They took 2 hrs to diagnose what I told them was wrong with the van. Then they lifted four codes relating to the sensors and one saying that Block 15 had a power source failure.
Does anyone have any idea what or where Block 15 is. The Bosch people don't have a clue. Van still there while they trawl through the cables but I will have to put a stop to that Monday as I can check through the wiring myself. I thought these people were clever and able. Looks like it is not the case.

Last edited:

fisjon

Oooh! did I speak too soon? I certainly did!
The garage just rang to say van is fixed.
There was a break in the wiring under the van just before where it goes up into the van under the seats. There is a braided earth wire that comes out of the loom and is attached to the under-body. This earth wire chaffs on the loom and over time has cut straight through the wire going to the relay (known as Block 15) under the driving seat. This relay energizes the part of the circuit that operates the fuel stop valve.
If you are having electrical gremlins of any kind then I would check this out as a potential source of the problem. This earth cable could cut through any one of many cables that are bundled in this loom.

Top Bottom