Easy way to drain the T1N fuel tank

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
First if all, there's no *clean* way to do this, but this is the cleanest/easiest way I have tried yet.
I am replacing the in tank pump on a Sprinter and, of course, the owner just filled the tank! (It should be noted that this procedure only works on the '04-'06 models)
Here's the procedure:
Remove the fuel line on the fuel filter that comes from the fuel tank. It is the rubber line closest to the firewall. Get a container (I used a 5 gallon plastic fuel container) and place it between the drivers side front wheel and the transmission. Reach up with your hand and pull that loose fuel line down into the container. Turn the key to on, but not all the way to start. You should hear the fuel pump running and the container filling with fuel. Opening the fuel tank cap and putting your ear next to the hole allows you to hear the pump better.
The pump will run for 10-20 seconds and pump around half a gallon of fuel. When you hear the pump stop, turn the key to off and then back to run to run the pump again. Do this over and over until you have drained the tank.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Does this drain all fuel from the lowest point, or does it drain most from an upward tube until the level reaches the bottom of the tube, and leave dirt and water in the bottom?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I know it sucks the fuel up through a plastic screen on the end of a tube that comes down at an angle. I had to quit for the day once I finished pumping out the tank. I won't get to dropping the tank until early next week and I will let you know what I find.

mawsea

sprinter guru
My 2003 does not have the in-tank pump. I went down to the local auto parts store and bought a universal, inline, 12v diesel fuel pump and hooked it up to the inlet hose at the filter and sucked all 25 gallons out. I paid $55 for the pump but I see them on Amazon for around $25.

Wont draining it all the way will suck up a bunch of crud into the fuel pump??
Probably no more than when the tank gets low and stuff gets sloshed around.

The flow rates are not that great. The fuel pickup won't act like a shop vac hose.

vic

sebtown

When I mistakenly filled my Sprinter with gasoline last year I realized my mistake before I started the engine. I had it towed to a shop where they used a small electric pump attached to the inlet hose at the fuel filter and pumped the tank dry. Refilled with clean diesel and I have enjoyed over 10,000 trouble free miles since. I now double and triple check the pump before fueling. Best of all I was only charged $49 to pump the tank and even with the cost of the gasoline I was only out $100. Drilling a hole in the tank is a terrible idea in my opinion.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I'm pretty sure that the drilling a hole comment was a joke. And as far as if the pickup gets the fuel from the lowest point, I would say no. If you stick your head under the fuel tank, you will see a spot about in the middle that is a circle. The bottom of the fuel pump is sitting in that indent. That appears to be the lowest part of the fuel tank. However, the pickup for the pump is actually located about 6 inches off to the side of the actual pump (the black straw with the white tip in the photo).

Attachments

Skippy and Emu

Was shifting about a ton and a half of stuff to my country property. Stopped at a very small country service station to get fuel and one of their very nice ham and salad rolls.
Tank was about a quarter full, had just put in 57 litres when I realised I was filling with Petroleum instead of Diesel. I went inside the servo to pay for the fuel and ask for assistance. The Lady behind the counter, said it was a common problem and that she would get "Tony " who would know what to.
Tony had a quick look underneath and said, no drain plug, will have to siphon it. ( my sprinter does not have the pump in the tank )
I started the sprinter and drove it about 10metres off the forecourt. Switching the motor off immediately.
Tony supplied me with a length of garden hose and severel empty 20litre oil drums.
I managed to siphon out about 60 litres via the fuel filler, before the flow stopped. My calculations told me there was still a significant amount of fuel in the tank. I asked Tony if he had a trolley jack, so as to lift the whole rear end of the sprinter to make the fuel move towards the front of the tank. He fired up his forklift, and gently placed the forks under the towbar. No problem lifting the whole rear end ( even with the weight I had on board ), the rear tyres were about 8 inches off the ground. Magnificent, managed to siphon several more litres.
Removed the fork lift, started the motor and reversed back the 10 metres to the pump. Switched the motor off immediately. I filled the tank to the brim with fresh diesel . I estimate there may have been about 2 to 3 litres remaining in the tank. ( which would have been a mix of petroleum and diesel ).I paid for the fuel, and gave Tony $20 for his help. The sprinter started as per normal, I drove it off the forecourt and let it idle for a few minutes.
It never missed a beat, no coughing etc. Has been ok ever since.For peace of mind, I did change the fuel filter at the next service.

Top Bottom