While under your van... Need pic of Spare Tire front hanger please

Another joy of being one of the first to work on the new model....

I need someone to please share a picture of the FRONT of their spare tire hanger so I can see how it is attached to the van frame cross bar.

***background***

my van was not delivered with a spare tire hanger or spare tire. I went to the dealer and he looked up all the parts for me. Schematic attached. A couple of the parts were not available for delivery at all including some kind of "strap" noted as item #150 in this diagram

today I went to install the assembly and I have no clue how the setup attaches to the bar. It seems it needs to hang "down" for the tire width to fit.

This is the frame with the two hanging parts in place:

and this is where it is supposed to attach. The cross beam is wide and sealed, there is no way I can reach inside of it to get to the back of a bolt from the other side.

For reference, this is the rear hanging adjusters that catch the rear end of the frame and pull it up to the van.

I need help trying to figure out how to hang the FRONT on the van's frame.

Can someone share pictures of what this looks like please?

Crap. I've just moved from getting a wrench and bolting it on to needing to talk to a welding fabricator. Hmmm. I could put a huge water tank in the same spot if I have to start welding there... Have to think about that one now. thank you.

D

Deleted member 50714

Chris, please don't be hasty. Before you progress further, familiarize yourself with BEG. Now, let's brainstorm solutions.

D

Deleted member 50714

Chris, please don't be hasty. Before you progress further, familiarize yourself with BEG. Now, let's brainstorm solutions.

https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-us/tech-info/beg

One possible solution is high tensile steel blind rivets. Four, 3/16 or 1/4 should work. Whatever size you're comfortable. I guess remove or sand smooth the undercoating to provide flat surface. Standard practice in aerospace is apply anti-corrosion compound to mating (fey) surfaces prior to assembly.

Another is stitch welding but confer with BEG.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

dynaco1

kenjachris,

I'm confused. Are you telling us that your 2019 2500 was delivered without a spare wheel/tire and bracket mounted beneath floor and just forward of rear bumper?

If so, it is standard equipment R65 (spare wheel bracket below frame) and R87 (spare wheel)

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
If you have a 170 van this is an opportunity to fabricate some custom steel brackets that hold both the spare tire and a water or gray tank. I modified mine to support a 16 gallon gray water tank. I used 5/16 rivnuts on the forward mounts to the crossmember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@dynaco1, Yes. The van was spec'd by an upfitter with the spare tire deleted and a whole bunch of other odd changes. Then the van was dealer traded in transit to the dealer I purchased it from. I wanted a low roof crew but they don't make that any more so I started with a low roof cargo that had all factory windows installed.

So the item that is missing is the towers welded to the cross member. I could just bolt right through the frame but I need to get down ~5 inches or so for oversized tires and its going to push forward every time i hit the brakes so it should be strong.

Wyuna

Id just be welding up an external tire mount on the rear door, then you won't have any issue with oversized tire spare.

Plus you can fit a decent sized water tank under there, where the factory tire area is.

HarryN

Id just be welding up an external tire mount on the rear door, then you won't have any issue with oversized tire spare.

Plus you can fit a decent sized water tank under there, where the factory tire area is.
You can also just buy a rear tire carrier from people that make them and save a lot of headache.

Today I had to go to RB components to pick up my interior door panels. they had a van in production that also had the spare tire delete on it. This is how they handle mounting oversized spare tires. Seems simple enough.

HeyYou

2019 VS30 144; learning by my mistakes
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone here can help with measurements for the spare tire hanger column. Having hangers fabricated is still cheaper than hanging the spare on the back door. Does anyone have the dimensions that they can share? I attached the picture from earlier in the thread. How far down does the hanger extend and where are the bold hole placements?

Cheers

Attachments

Jbeauv

I just received my Agile Off-road Large tire spare Hager kit. A picture of the instructions attachedIMG_0456.jpeg

Top Bottom