Big tires/wheels (285/17) - problem using stock wheel as spare?

CactusJackSlade

Hey folks,

Somewhat new to the Sprinter scene... about 4 months ownership now.

My rig came with (4) big 285/17 tires and wheels (in addition to the stock alloy set of 5 wheels including spare).

The stock tire size is roughly 29.5" in diameter and the tires on the aftermarket wheels are more like 32" in diameter.

My concern would be using the stock tire/wheel as a spare because of the rather large differences in diameter. Would/could running a smaller tire for a spare hurt the drive train?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
It won't hurt the drivetrain as all the diffs are open. But, your ABS/ESP may go haywire and start braking that tire thinking that it's spinning given that it's rotating at a slower speed. You can fit a 33" tire in the spare tire holder (with a few small mods to the cage). Agile Offroad sells a spare tire kit for like $20. Definitely not advisable to drive with a 3" diameter discrepancy.

CactusJackSlade

Thanks Wrinkled Pants, especially for the tip on the Agile tire basket kit... That was one of my main issues is I did not want to have to carry the oversize spare in a different location.

It won't hurt the drivetrain as all the diffs are open. But, your ABS/ESP may go haywire and start braking that tire thinking that it's spinning given that it's rotating at a slower speed. You can fit a 33" tire in the spare tire holder (with a few small mods to the cage). Agile Offroad sells a spare tire kit for like $20. Definitely not advisable to drive with a 3" diameter discrepancy.

Montucky

I had read that the van will go into limp mode after a mile or so if one tire is dramatically different than the others. I've never been able to confirm this, but it did motivate me to get a matching size spare for my summer and winter setups so that I'm not stranded in the event I need to use the spare..

CactusJackSlade

I had read that the van will go into limp mode after a mile or so if one tire is dramatically different than the others. I've never been able to confirm this, but it did motivate me to get a matching size spare for my summer and winter setups so that I'm not stranded in the event I need to use the spare..
Limp mode, interesting and ugh?!

I just found out with a small modification I can fit a full size spare in the stock carrier.... I am ordering another wheel now!

Thanks All!

Given that most cars have a tiny rock tire as a spare that is significantly smaller than regular tires/wheels, I would think that it is not a problem as long as 1) you limit your speed and 2) you get the tire repaired soon.

I went with 5 matched tires 265/65-17 because I don't want to have to interrupt my adventures if I get a flat.
I also carry fix a flat just in case. (Yep, I've had two flats before I made it back to a tire shop.)

MotoXPress

Limp mode, interesting and ugh?!

I just found out with a small modification I can fit a full size spare in the stock carrier.... I am ordering another wheel now!

Thanks All!

Care to share your modification to fit the 285 - 17 in the spare tire location? Is yours a 70 or 75 profile tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CactusJackSlade

Care to share your modification to fit the 285 - 17 in the spare tire location? Is yours a 70 or 75 profile tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm now running 285/70/17's. I have a little less than 1/2" clearance on my front fender well.

I do not see it in the description, but somewhere I read it can take up to a 33" tire. I still need to confirm. It looks like you add some spacers to the rear "hinge" and then you apparently have to tweek the basket cage - I'm still awaiting clarification if it will work on Pre-2018 Sprinters:

https://agileoffroad.com/product/agile-oversized-spare-tire-basket-kit-sprinter/

Kauluwela

Mount a 255/85/R16 on the stock wheel and it will fit in the spare position/cage with no mods and will match the diameter of the 285/70/17.

That is an easy and safe fix to your problem.

Top Bottom