Rooftop Air Conditioner General Info

I found this link on the Jayco Owners RV forum.

There have been quite a few threads here about roof leaks and Sprinter air conditioners. I'm certain that there are differences in design for A/C units installed in Sprinters. Some of the info in the overview about condensate drain design may be applicable among other bits. I think the guy does a nice job of overall description. vic

http://bryantrv.com/roofacleaks.html

SprinterWanted

Hi,

Do you know what the pros and cons are of the 02-03 Sprinter air conditioner design, vs. the 04-06 design with the separate unit on top?

Is one considered better than the other?

Does the 02-03 design cool as effectively?

Thanks

bc339

The 02-03 Sprinter rear air runs off the same compressor as the front.
The 04-06 Sprinter has a separate compressor for the front and rear. The rear a/c is driven by a single groove v belt.
The rear a/c can be run without the front running - not sure on the 02-03's.
On the 02-03 system goes down, you will have no a/c at all. If one system on the 04-06's goes down, you still have the other one.
There are 6 pounds of refrigerant in the rear a/c on the 04-06, I would guess at least the same if not more on the 02-03's.
On my experience, the rear a/c is kind of finicky. The belts for the rear a/c don't last - maybe about a year. The compressor will squeal on start up, but that is due to incorrect belt tension or the tensioner pulley. Too tight causes the squeal and can cause premature failure of the compressor clutch and tensioner pulley.
Harmonic balancer (vibration damper) require extra care and have a recommended replacement of 100,000 miles. The extra stress from the rear a/c pulley causes the rear ac pulley to separate from the balancer. They have been known to fail, and can cause crankshaft damage, which is really bad = an engine replacement.
The rear air on the 04+ does a very good job of cooling. On a hot day, it will cool down the passenger area in about 10- 20 minutes, then everybody starts complaining about how cold it is. Without it, it is an oven. The front a/c will take until fall to cool the back.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom