Intermittent whine under hood when engine off

Snowcreature

Hey guys - I have a 2017 144 4WD that I love. Only issue that has me baffled is that very rarely I'll discover that there's an intermittent whining sound from somewhere in the drivers side engine compartment - this is several hours after parking the van.

95% of the time this doesn't happen. I can't figure out any pattern for what triggers it. Van is at just under 5k miles.

Have tried searching online but no luck.

Posting a YouTube video just in case anyone knows what this is. (The picture doesn't show anything useful, just listen to the sound.)

https://youtu.be/Asvjzu6Wa1w

Any ideas much appreciated!

MTD

Don't have an answer but my van does something similar. When van is off, after some time. May not be the exact noise, but similar. 2016 170 4x4.

D

Deleted member 50714

Heard some chatter in the forum the EGR cycling makes a sound you described. My 2015 I4makes the sound but shortly after shut-down and stops.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMyerz

Mine has done it since new, and pretty sure it’s the EGR. If you look at the battery disconnect it warns to not disconnect until 10 minutes after shutoff so the emissions can cycle or it may cause damage. Your likely hearing it cycle.

D

Deleted member 50714

My apologies, I just saw the video and it doesn't sound anything like mine. :thinking:

bwd007

My main concern is why it lasts for so long. My 2013 144 does the same, and up to a few hours after parking the van. A few years ago I saved a recording of the whine and sent it to our Mercedes repair shop who sent it to someone higher up that said this was normal and part of the EGR cycle. I was/am concerned about why it lasts so long, but it doesn't happen too often and it doesn't run down the battery. If I restart the van and turn it off then it stops, but now I just let it go.

D

Deleted member 50714

Only a hypothesis. Perhaps, MB discovered cycling the EGR valve intermittently over a longer duration beneficial? Just a thought. As long as it's not draining the battery or contributing to performance issues, I would be inclined not to worry but still investigate out of curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowcreature

Ok glad it's not just me. For my own peace of mind I'll just assume it's the EGR doing what it's supposed to be doing. Sure is odd though, and like @bdw007 says, the odd part is how incredibly long it seems to go on...

JIB

That sounds a lot like my 05 Volvo XC90. There is a fan which dries out the HVAC system after shutdown to avoid mold, etc., build up. Check the manual to see if the sprinter does that too.

Jack, still don't own one, but on the hunt

so I am having the exact same issue. 2017 2500 6500 miles. Loud whine/beep identical to the OP's video. beep is about one second long, repeats every 15-20 seconds. Like others have said, my concern is why this lasts so long. Currently it is still beeping 2 hours after turning off. This is starting to get really annoying when working on or around the outside of the van. Anyone have additional thoughts or insight?

redrockmtb

My 2018 with 2k miles on it has been doing this from day 1. Dealer said I should bring it in but it sounds like this is a common issue.

update on mine:

Heading out on a long road trip and I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong, so I stopped by the dealer and had it checked out. Showed the techichan a video of the noise. he said it sounded like the AC compressor and that was normal. Of course it wouldn't make the whine at the dealership. just to be sure, he scanned the ecu and there were no codes present. so we will see.

chugachredbeard

My 2014 6 cylinder makes that exact noise as the first You Tube Video. When I first heard it we were deep in the Utah desert country camping and I thought the worst. But everything was fine no battery draw down. Makes people look when they walk by in a parking lot as the noise is going off.

Top Bottom