Simple temp. solar hook up

Deemers

I have 1 100 watt panel and a morningstar sunsaver 20L left over from a travel trailer that I never installed. My question is- can I hook this up to the factory aux battery on my 2019 2500? Im not sure if it will create problems when engine is running.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There should be no problem ... when the alternator is running, the solar controller will think the battery is fully charged.

If it supplies current during "alternator time", all it will accomplish is slightly off-loading the alternator.

Just hook it up, it should be fine. (as long as your panels don't use the vehicle frame for their negative feed to the controller. Once you're beyond the controller, the controler's output can use the frame for the negative run to the battery (but doesn't have to))

--dick

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
I have 1 100 watt panel and a morningstar sunsaver 20L left over from a travel trailer that I never installed. My question is- can I hook this up to the factory aux battery on my 2019 2500? Im not sure if it will create problems when engine is running.
I have an external solar blanket with its own regulator that I connect to the jump start post under the bonnet.

Beware that some solar regulators do not expect the higher voltage (15v) that the Sprinter 'smart' alternator produces and can cause the regulator to overheat and fail.

john61ct

Most controllers bundled with panels are just sub-par.

Seeing that a Victron MPPT can often be found delivered for under $100,

besides the greater conversion efficiency, user-custom setpoints and monitor / logging via smartphone

something like that is well worth the upgrade cost.

For those not familiar, a "solar blanket" is the flexible folding portable type, up to what 180W or so? Pricey too well over $1 a watt!

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Most controllers bundled with panels are just sub-par.

Seeing that a Victron MPPT can often be found delivered for under $100,

besides the greater conversion efficiency, user-custom setpoints and monitor / logging via smartphone

something like that is well worth the upgrade cost.

For those not familiar, a "solar blanket" is the flexible folding portable type, up to what 180W or so? Pricey too well over $1 a watt!
:shifty:

The OP asked a simple yes/no question, whereby the correct answer is yes and addresses his needs.

:idunno:

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
:shifty:

The OP asked a simple yes/no question, whereby the correct answer is yes and addresses his needs.

:idunno:
Having blown up two solar regulators one MPPT and on PWM before realizing the new normal for alternator output voltages, I would have to say that morning star would have to confirm what the specific regulator does with sustained 15v on the load side (as distinct from the solar panel side).

And yes the solar blanket is a more expensive panel but we have only in the last couple of years seen sub $1 per watt panels when I started with solar we justified $10 per watt on boats. The solar blanket wins hands down on portable storage and fits perfectly across the Sprinter windscreen.

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Having blown up two solar regulators one MPPT and on PWM before realizing the new normal for alternator output voltages, I would have to say that morning star would have to confirm what the specific regulator does with sustained 15v on the load side (as distinct from the solar panel side).

And yes the solar blanket is a more expensive panel but we have only in the last couple of years seen sub $1 per watt panels when I started with solar we justified $10 per watt on boats. The solar blanket wins hands down on portable storage and fits perfectly across the Sprinter windscreen.
The monkey is wearing purfume.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
This could be one of the reasons some of the isolation, controller/charger and inverter manufacturers stress in their manuals to attach their devices to the **battery**, not to the alternator itself. The battery acts as a rather substantial buffer (or capacitor, if you like that mental picture) to soak up transitory "noise" from external gadgets.

--dick

B

billintomahawk

Some controllers like mine on my 100W Chinese panel are fused internally so if you take them apart you can replace the fuse. I also fuse the output line from the panel to the house battery.

Usually when I blew up the controller I mixed up positive and negative feeds. My controller had no tolerance for that and blew the fuse.

This is the panel I have used for 5 years and the controller. It is extension corded into the house battery via a pigtail using household plugs, receptacle and a shop quality power tool cord.

Simple, effective and easily repositioned to follow the sun.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECO-100W-S...025415?hash=item5216929cc7:g:w1kAAOSwhFZdU6TR

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
This could be one of the reasons some of the isolation, controller/charger and inverter manufacturers stress in their manuals to attach their devices to the **battery**, not to the alternator itself. The battery acts as a rather substantial buffer (or capacitor, if you like that mental picture) to soak up transitory "noise" from external gadgets.

--dick
That may well be the case reducing the likelihood of a battery disconnect leaving the regulator as the alternator load.

In my case it was just the controller was not designed to accept 15v and it tried to sync the high battery voltage and overheated over a periods of hours of driving.

The problem was accepted by the manufacturer and they replaced my regulator and all the stock at the retailers to upgrade the firmware. I also installed an isolation switch on my DVSR so I could isolate house and start. 5 years later the new one still performs perfectly, regularly seeing 14.8v for extended periods.

The second was a different older cheaper brand PWM on my solar blanket so I just used the spare I had purchased from the old experience.

Last edited:

Deemers

Thanks for the info guys! with having to open my hood to hook up the portable panel to controller I installed and removed a fuse I wired inline worked awesome! 7 hours running D2 at night at 38 deg. voltage never dropped below 12.5 except on start up.

Top Bottom