2019 Roambuilt Roof Rack

Great. So I should expect to receive mine soon.
To be honest I don’t mind waiting for a good product. Heck it took me 12 months to find and buy my 2019 4x4.

Chad
If you are monitoring this thread I am waiting for you guys to come out with a front and rear bumpers that is compatible with the parking sensors and adaptive cruise control!

linacre

Darth Vander
Okay so I ordered a set of Roambuilt side steps / running boards for my 2019 170 MB high roof - I have reached out to Chad but no response yet - I did not get a packing list or any sort of instructions
The box was severely damaged when I received it so a packing slip would be nice - I received the two side steps, three braces, long metal reinforced rubber strip and a bag of rivnuts, bolts and washers - Can anyone here confirm if that is everything ? And does anyone have any pic's from underneath of a set that are mounted up or did anyone get any instructions they could share ? I am sure we can figure it out but would be nice to have any other info
Thanks
Steve
I've found that RoamBuilt being very unresponsive, I've tried to confirm something with them and no answer after initial exchange. Then I'm working with one of their dealers in WA state, and they can't get the answer either....

Any opinions on Aluminess side steps? I've found the Roam ones good looking but these Nerf bars too: https://www.aluminess.com/mercedes/sprinter-nerf-bars/

Thanks!

steved57

So I heard back from Roambuilt and they confirmed I received all the pieces (nothing missing) and the rubber strip he thinks the trucking company must have stuck it there from another broken up shipment of some sort

There are no directions per say but said it is as per Chad pretty self explanatory and since then I have been under the van looking and does look pretty easy - looks like will get around to mounting them next week and once I do I'll post some photos

FlaJoe

I’m waiting for a Roambuilt front bumper For my 2019 too and also a rear tire, box, and bike rack system. If not them possibly Owl, but not crazy about that 1Up bike system. Those Ebikes can get heavy.

Mr Makai

I’m waiting for a Roambuilt front bumper For my 2019 too and also a rear tire, box, and bike rack system. If not them possibly Owl, but not crazy about that 1Up bike system. Those Ebikes can get heavy.
Not a fan of Owls super high or vertical 1UP configuration. That said I am a HUGE fan of 1UP racks. When used normally they are the best.

I use one on my van and love it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Onefin

Not a fan of Owls super high or vertical 1UP configuration. That said I am a HUGE fan of 1UP racks. When used normally they are the best.

I use one on my van and love it.

I do agree that 1Up makes the best bikes racks on the market.
Standard Hitch or one of the Owl setups for mounting ....the 1up stuff is bomber.
So much better than Yakima or Thule for not much more money.

Owl Vans carriers solve the problem of needing to swing the "normal" hitch mount 1Up racks out of the way every time you want to open the rear doors....bikes stay on rack and you just open and close the door (gently, but) normally....

The height on the horizontal bike mount is unavoidable as they are designed to have a spare on the drivers side and the bike and box carrier on the passenger side....the bike trays need to clear the spare.

Sherpa and vertical 1up solves the height problem.

Nice to have options......

Mr Makai

I do agree that 1Up makes the best bikes racks on the market.

Standard Hitch or one of the Owl setups for mounting ....the 1up stuff is bomber.

So much better than Yakima or Thule for not much more money.

Owl Vans carriers solve the problem of needing to swing the "normal" hitch mount 1Up racks out of the way every time you want to open the rear doors....bikes stay on rack and you just open and close the door (gently, but) normally....

The height on the horizontal bike mount is unavoidable as they are designed to have a spare on the drivers side and the bike and box carrier on the passenger side....the bike trays need to clear the spare.

Sherpa and vertical 1up solves the height problem.

Nice to have options......
I ordered 270 doors and want them to work. It's very handy when I'm towing our boat.

Spare is underneath.

Rack is in the hitch.

So far this has met my needs.

If I'm traveling or stopping for a post ride libation I put the bikes inside

FlaJoe

I’ve spec’d the following in my black blue 2019 144 high roof:

1. Roambuilt shadow rack with single lite bar. Sticking with Momentum’s recommendation and not going with two light bars. Likely would have if they had one for fog. I like their wiring for side lighting, etc. I looked at round but agree with the comments that the 2019 has more modern lines. I find the bar cleaner and fits in the radius and space that drops forward nicely.

2. Looking for fog lights on a brush guard type front bumper. Will have a 12 ton hidden winch system. awaiting what Roambuilt comes up with but VC is backup plan. I’m hoping to get them away from the center of the grill.

3. Awaiting Roambuilt rear and front bumper systems and the are working on a modular rear tire, bike, and box system. Owl is likely the backup.

4. Roambuilt mil spec front skid plate in bronze color with matching MB star. VC skid plates behind and rear.

5. 17’ Roambuilt Trail Ready with bulls matching the bronze color. 275/70/17 BF tires.

6. Agile blacked out grill and 28 spare fuel tank in tire well. Looks like I am going with the Agile upgraded rip with strut upgrade. This versus VC was my toughest decision and I went back to Agile once the tire size became smaller than originally desired.

7. Went with ARB hidden door steps.

8. Doing flarespace.

wquek

Work in progress
I’ve spec’d the following in my black blue 2019 144 high roof:

1. Roambuilt shadow rack with single lite bar. Sticking with Momentum’s recommendation and not going with two light bars. Likely would have if they had one for fog. I like their wiring for side lighting, etc. I looked at round but agree with the comments that the 2019 has more modern lines. I find the bar cleaner and fits in the radius and space that drops forward nicely.

2. Looking for fog lights on a brush guard type front bumper. Will have a 12 ton hidden winch system. awaiting what Roambuilt comes up with but VC is backup plan. I’m hoping to get them away from the center of the grill.

3. Awaiting Roambuilt rear and front bumper systems and the are working on a modular rear tire, bike, and box system. Owl is likely the backup.

4. Roambuilt mil spec front skid plate in bronze color with matching MB star. VC skid plates behind and rear.

5. 17’ Roambuilt Trail Ready with bulls matching the bronze color. 275/70/17 BF tires.

6. Agile blacked out grill and 28 spare fuel tank in tire well. Looks like I am going with the Agile upgraded rip with strut upgrade. This versus VC was my toughest decision and I went back to Agile once the tire size became smaller than originally desired.

7. Went with ARB hidden door steps.

8. Doing flarespace.

Looks like an awesome plan, Joe. I have their roof rack and side ladder. Also waiting to see what they can come up with for the front brush bar and rear storage solution. Cec mentioned that they ordered a shop van for R&D so hopefully they will have something to order over the next few months. John at Owl is willing to do some custom work so that is my backup plan as well if you have something in mind that they don’t currently manufacture.

I went with the VC setup as it’s a no brainer for me. Rob and Mark are fantastic people so I know I can’t go wrong with customer service. They have many years of experience in the industry developing suspension parts for jeeps before moving onto vans and I trust what they have to say.

Do you have any photos of your build yet? We met Brian and Brianna last year at NWOR and immediately fell in love with their build quality and design sense. I think they are possibly the best van builder out there. My wife bought a lottery ticket the other day and she said if we win it, our van would be going to them right away. Very happy to see you are going with them. We will live vicariously through you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlaJoe

Cool, glad to here. I do like working with Brian. They care and don’t skimp! The VC Stage 6 was the direction I was going until the smaller tires had me retreat to Agile. Mark is a great guy! I am going to visit in March and will post pics. Here is a couple after the Line-x was added to hood, bumpers and side panels:

Attachments

Last edited:
I ordered 270 doors and want them to work. It's very handy when I'm towing our boat.

Spare is underneath.

Rack is in the hitch.

So far this has met my needs.

If I'm traveling or stopping for a post ride libation I put the bikes inside

Mr Makai,

Can you provide some details about that interior bike rack.
Slides out?
How heavy is it?
How doe you mount it to the van? Easily removable?
thanks

Mr Makai

Mr Makai,

Can you provide some details about that interior bike rack.

Slides out?

How heavy is it?

How doe you mount it to the van? Easily removable?

thanks
It is Bedslide pick up bed slide. It bolts to the floor, not easily removable.

I will have a bed over it soon so it there to make gear access in the garage easier.

The bike mounts are 80/20 adapters I made that tie into the track on the Bedslide.

keepmoving

Cool, glad to here. I do like working with Brian. They care and don’t skimp! The VC Stage 6 was the direction I was going until the smaller tires had me retreat to Agile. Mark is a great guy! I am going to visit in March and will post pics. Here is a couple after the Line-x was added to hood, bumpers and side panels:
Your are still going to get about 2" of lift with the Agile kit. You could do a Stage 4 kit to correct the rear in sag after the conversion so the smaller tires stay deeper in the wheel arches :)

I did just get an email from a German company that claims they can re-calibrate the speedo for larger tires on the VS30. We will see if they are able to give me a unit to test.

- Mark

wquek

Work in progress
Does the Agile system extend further to retain suspension droop? The VC body lift retains factory geometry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your are still going to get about 2" of lift with the Agile kit. You could do a Stage 4 kit to correct the rear in sag after the conversion so the smaller tires stay deeper in the wheel arches :)

I did just get an email from a German company that claims they can re-calibrate the speedo for larger tires on the VS30. We will see if they are able to give me a unit to test.

- Mark
Mark - What did you find out about the re-calibration?

keepmoving

Mark - What did you find out about the re-calibration?
I don't want to hijack this thread too much.. The speed re-calibration will take place near the gauge cluster. It will probably be too far downstream to correct for the distronic vs. tire size issue, but we may get lucky. I also think Midwestdrifter could cook something up, he created a can-bus hack for his 2wd to 4wd conversion to allow for low range operation. He was able to fool transmission speed sensor when the van shifts into low range.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/sprinter-4wd-conversion-idea-gmt-800-ifs.201465/

FloJoe - Do you have any update on the availability of the RoamBuilt front and rear bumpers for your build? Do you know if they have now solved the parking sensor / Active Cruise issue? If they have not solved it, what is your alternative?

Top Bottom