Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
Islander56

Default 2014 144 in. cargo van sliding door step removal ?

Hi and thanks to anyone who could help me. I have been trying to figure out how to get the step plate ? off to change the chainwiring harness that goes back and forth with the door. It is a four cylinder model 2014 I am stuck I removed every fastener I can find still won't come up ?
Thanks
Bob
Islander56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
manwithgun

Default Re: 2014 144 in. cargo van sliding door step removal ?

Did you get the one imbedded in the plastic tread? You need to pry the plug out with a pick or small screwdriver. Thereís at least 1 centered on the 9th rib, a rounded diamond shape. And a round one on the back plate. Thereís likely more but thatís what I can remember.
Islander56 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #3
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

There are 4 (correction - 5) screws in the step tread hiding under extremely well camoflauged plugs. Look for a faint diamond outline to find the plugs. I mistook them for injection molding marks.

There’s a fifth (correction - a sixth) screw under another plug in the aft end of the step. If you have a trim piece covering the riser portion of the step (from the step tread to the main floor) you’ll need to remove that trim to expose the fifth screw.

(more correction) There's a 7th screw in the forward end of the step.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)

Last edited by ptheland; 07-14-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: missed a couple of screws
ptheland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
Islander56

Hi
And thank you for your reply. I just got off work and it is raining when it quits I am going to go get a small air grinder and clean the step off. I do fiberglass and paint on boats for a living and the step has a little stuff on it I will find the plugs if they are there. And let you know.
Thanks again
Bob
Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

The first photo in this post shows where the plugs are in the step. There is one more hidden by the paint can - it's right in line with the two visible holes next to the paint can, but slightly farther away.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=65

I also remembered that if you do have the trim piece on the step riser, there is a screw in that hidden behind the passenger side B pillar. So you have to remove the B pillar cover so that you can remove the step riser trim so that you can remove the step tread.

And there's a screw in the end of the step tread toward the forward end of the van.

To recap the screws - there are 7. One in the forward end (potentially hidden by the step riser trim), 5 in the tread (hidden very well under plugs in the tread) and one in the aft end (again hidden by the step riser trim and under a plug).

Lastly, the sliding door itself runs along a rail molded into the underside of the step tread. So once all of the screws are out, you'll have the sliding door pressing on the step tread. It's not too tough to maneuver it around. Make sure it all goes back correctly.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
ptheland is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptheland For This Useful Post:
Islander56 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
Islander56

Thumbs up Re: 2014 144 in. cargo van sliding door step removal ?

Hi
And thank you for your help I have the step loose they had them machine screws hid very well that and the resin and gel coat I have spilled on that step over the last couple years. I have the new part ordered 305.00 for the wire harness with the plastic chain protector. 25.00 for the plastic part the sliding door slides on. Plus a lot of cleaning to be done in that hole found screws, stir sticks etc. I have always cleaned it out with compressed air or a water hose. I am hoping not to need any other parts but who knows how that will go. I am also going to do a brake fluid change I have been reading here about that wow I had no idea brake fluid was such a technical thing. I am going to buy it when I go to the dealership to get the door parts and if their price is good let them do the brake fluid change.
Thanks again !
Bob