Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
DirtDogg

Default Platform Panel Bed feedback

Hi There,

After about 3 weeks, our panel bed is installed. The design is similar to what others have done.

The bed rails rails are bent from 11 gauge steel (.120) with three panels built from 1'X1' steel tube also 11 gauge steel covered with 1/2 plywood.

The bed rails are installed with (4) 5/16 plus nuts on each side on the interior pliers. I also added another additional rectangle cross member on the front edge of the bed with 1 additional 5/16'' plus nut. In total, the bed rails are held by (5) 5/16 plusnuts with 1'' SS hex bolts.

Here is the issue, each bed panel with the plywood is probably is probably 40 lbs each. Add another 350 lbs for two people and mattress, the bed rails are holding up almost 400 lbs.

I'm building a sleeping platform for my daughter underneath so safety is paramount. would you have concerns about the weight of the bed? Will there be significant weight savings with aluminum panels?

Thanks.

DirtDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtDogg For This Useful Post:
Xcountry41 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
Shawn182

Default Re: Platform Panel Bed feedback

I like it...planning something similar.

Are you getting any flex using only 1" stock for the span?
Shawn182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
markxengineering

Is the total weight of the frame plus the plywood 40 pounds? That sounds reasonable to me, but I may not have understood what you wrote.
My aluminum bed frame + platform is about 28 pounds; the difference is negligible in the grand scheme of a build.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 11,183 Times in 7,178 Posts

The fastenings/support to the wall are more than adequate. You will not crash down onto your child even if you're in the process of attempting to create a sibling.

If there is any deflection in the tubing/decking assembly it will not be noticed once the mattress is in place.

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
RVCuisineScene

I built a somewhat temporary bed frame using ATV ramps which are made out of aluminum and are rated at 700lbs each, they are very light weight, and are supported using 2x4 framing which is tied into the frame of the van, I used 3/8" AC plywood over the ramps with a 10" thick memory foam mattress on top, our daughter has her "room" below. We've been using the van for the past several months. At some point I will get rid of the wood and use steel angle supports to support the ATV ramps. Pics are on my blog at http://kitchenhui.com/road-trip/
RVCuisineScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 11,183 Times in 7,178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCuisineScene View Post
... At some point I will get rid of the wood and use steel angle supports ...
Why?

I hacked up some scrap 2x4's for side supports. They've been working flawlessly for us for over 10 years now.

Our Loft Bed
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...8591#post38591

The 2x4's are fastened using a number of #14 sheet metal screws. No rattles from the bed.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
DirtDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineering View Post
Is the total weight of the frame plus the plywood 40 pounds? That sounds reasonable to me, but I may not have understood what you wrote.
My aluminum bed frame + platform is about 28 pounds; the difference is negligible in the grand scheme of a build.
I weighed everything over the weekend. The panel by itself is 20 lbs. Again its 11 gauge steel 1x1 tubing. The plywood adds another 15 lbs. So in total its 35 lbs. I would not go thinner than 1/2 in plywood. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
DirtDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
The fastenings/support to the wall are more than adequate. You will not crash down onto your child even if you're in the process of attempting to create a sibling.

If there is any deflection in the tubing/decking assembly it will not be noticed once the mattress is in place.

Thanks for the feed back! I told my wife two is the limit for us
Old 07-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
DirtDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCuisineScene View Post
I built a somewhat temporary bed frame using ATV ramps which are made out of aluminum and are rated at 700lbs each, they are very light weight, and are supported using 2x4 framing which is tied into the frame of the van, I used 3/8" AC plywood over the ramps with a 10" thick memory foam mattress on top, our daughter has her "room" below. We've been using the van for the past several months. At some point I will get rid of the wood and use steel angle supports to support the ATV ramps. Pics are on my blog at http://kitchenhui.com/road-trip/
Thanks for sharing. Cool website.