‘Stan’ - 2007 515 Build

Snoops

Hi there, just a quick introduction - I have just bought a 2007 515 with 61,000KM on the clock (Yes, that’s right - not a typo) - It was the old Engineering Solutions Van for Loctite here in Australia for 12 years and has recently been replaced with a new one. Only went out for training sessions with customers, to shows, etc. Have been on the lookout for something to convert into a camper and this fits the bill very well.

Has a custom body on the back, with doors side and rear with pull out steps, 3KVA Honda gen, AC and some benches and drawers. Best part is we can use it almost as is and build as we go.

Needs some windows and roof hatch before we go anywhere but once that is done, we will do a bit at a time and I’ll post progress reports. Joined up here as it’s my first Sprinter and I’m bound to need some guidance and advice from you fine folk here.

He is a little heavy at the moment but there is enough to play with to start, but could need a GVM upgrade down the track but that’s for a different day and conversation.

A couple of pics to get started - a shot of when it was new and a couple of how it looks now. Overall it’s in great condition and drives very well. Can’t wait to get stuck in!

Cheers - Snoops.

Attachments

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Welcome aboard. You should look into the early X15 engines. They have a known issue with distorting the main bearing caps over time.

Snoops

Thanks, yep - done my research on this and happy to take a punt on this as it only has a genuine 61,000KM on it (verified) although the whole thing is heavy so not ideal for this engine no. The body can always come off and drop onto another cab chassis should this one self destruct but I’m hoping with the low KM on it and the low KM I will also be doing in it, that it should last me a few years. :thumbup:

Will be fitting an oil pressure gauge first thing as low oil pressure when hot is the first sign of trouble.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I will be curious what the empty weight is when youve got the interior worked out. I would guess there is a lot of unnecessary weight in the flooring, walls etc.

Snoops

Thanks - yes, I’m the same. Still going through it to work out how much of a diet I can put it on, but will make it work one way or another. Will keep this thread updated as I do things which may be a bit slow to start with as I have another project I need to finish first, but when this came along I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Its a nice looking box, that's for sure. Pretty sure the chassis is good for about 5,100kg, and was likely down rated for licensing reasons. You may find that your near the rear axle limit depending on the weight distribution Front/rear.

Snoops

With me in it as it currently sits (I'm quite a large lad) front axle is at 1,680Kg (Limit of 1,850Kg) and rear is 2,580Kg (Limit is 3,200Kg) so plenty up my sleeve over each axle, particularly the rear, however current GVM is limited to 4,490Kg while the axle totals are over 5,000Kg, so I'm quite close to the current legal limit. Yes, I think this was done for licencing but I have a truck licence so I may look at a GVM upgrade at some stage - should be easy as the axles are capable of this, and I know of others that have had this done - it depends on how what I can remove, and what I add - if I don't need it, I won't be bothering, but you know what it's like - easy to keep adding stuff that adds up really quick, but first job will be diet, windows and roof vent, then re weigh and see what I have to play with. Heaviest item will be water tank - would ideally like 100 litres, but that alone will push me close as it sits, let alone the bed and other stuff. I could ditch the genset to start with as I can free camp easily with 12 volts - I have a lithium and solar setup to go on it similar to what I fitted to my caravan which runs everything with ease, even through a Victorian Winter. Genset would be nice for the AC on a hot day and to run a kettle (and maybe the GF's hair dryer) but doubtful I'd use it for too much more, so quite a big heavy bit of kit for something that may not be used much, but given it's so well installed I would like to keep it if I can.

Snoops

Have thought about that. :) Given that I live in Victoria, there aren't really many times I'd actually need it to be honest. Only when it gets above 35 or so when I'm camping do I start to feel hot. If I'm near a river, then even at 40 it's fine, but will see - I will be filling the rook with solar regardless - It won't add too much weight and spaced off the rook it will give even more protection from the sun.

Snoops

Have started some preliminary investigation and the fitout of the back is like brick outhouse and weighs about the same. The bench top is 2” thick and weighed 80Kg! There’s a lot of timber behind the cupboards too so I’ll have to strip everything out and build it a bit more light weight. I think there is plenty of places to put it on a diet.

Snoops

Been a while, but thought I'd drop back and give an update - due to CV19 stuff, not much has been happening but we have got Stan to a point where he is usable and we went out for 4 night recently for a trial run - at a Showgrounds with Power, but still haven't finished the 12 volt system yet. All lighting and 12 volt wiring is done and operating, but just running off 1 x 100Ah battery at the moment with no solar, etc yet.

Works great, and drives great too. We did run it over a weigh bridge on the way and he is a little heavy and we still need to add some stuff so I'm chatting to an Engineer at the moment re a GVM upgrade - axles are good for 5000Kg and the axle loading was fine front to rear so a good start. Engineer seems to think it will be easy enough - he's asked me to look into if there were 2 GVM options for this model and year - like there currently is on the 515 (4490 or 5000) - I'll start a thread on this elsewhere to see if anyone here knows.

Will post some pics when I get a moment. :)

cweinlich

Hi @Snoops

I am keen to hear how your GVM upgrade when last year. I am in the final stages of converting a 316 (3550kg GVM) into a camper and keen to hear your experience and if you needed to upgrade any brake pads, springs, etc. to get the GVM upgrade. If you have any recommended engineers, feel free to share.

Thanks,
Chris

Top Bottom