Espar 7 day timer is a pain to program, so I added a remote

cian128

My old car had remote start but I didn’t want to go attacking my harness and deal with skreem, wait to start etc etc

The Espar gets the cabin and engine warm but preset only works for 3 days and have to remember to set it.

I bought one of these

Mini Relay Wireless Switch 12V 433Mhz Remote Control Relay Switch, Secure 1-Channel Micro Receiver with Transmitter System in Latched Mode DC 3.7V 5V 6V 7V 9V 12V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZQMQDZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CPsjEb9FNDBRQ

It would be possible to get a 10A version of this, but this would be up to you to remember to switch it off! I didn’t want to chance a pocket dial and run the battery flat. So I ordered this

Timer Relay, DROK Time Delay Relay DC 5V 12V 24V Delay Controller Board Delay-off Cycle Timer 0.01s-9999mins Trigger Delay Switching Relay Module with LCD Display Support Micro USB 5V Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFT2WDS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dSsjEb6ZDA647

To support a timeout.

I configured the modules as follows

RF: Momentary

This is set by soldering two pad together and sends a pulse whenever A is pressed. B does nothing

Timer: P3 mode

This starts timer on pulse, and a second pulse cancels. Timeout also cancels the output.

Wiring

I spliced into + (red) and - (brown) And cut the yellow at the 7 day timer

RF module

+ wired to +
- wired to -
Com wired to +
NO wired to timer signal high

Timer module

+ wired to +
- wired to -
Input reference wired to -
Input high from RF NO
Output COM wired to yellow leaving console
Output NC wired to yellow coming from 7 day time
Output NO wired to + (this wire match factory gauge)

I wired this at my bench as a subassembly with main + and - wires leaving and splicing in easily. Cutting the yellow wire and fed right into screw terminals of the output relay.

In normal state the 7 day timer is in control through the NC contacts. When the timer is triggered by the RF module, it isolates the 7 day timer and connects the trigger to +. No back driving the 7 day timer.

Install

Pry the 7 day timer up and disconnect.
Pry shifter trim up
Unscrew one on left side under trim piece
Unscrew one under 7 day timer
Unscrew two underneath I think to remove the larger console piece

This gives lots of room too work. Lots of slack in the wires. I used VHB and stuck my subassembly to the side of the shifter bracket and reassembled. I did hot glue some wire loom over the programming buttons to prevent accidental pressing after I set it to 60 minutes.

I have not tested range but it works from my kitchen which is all that I need. I press the button when I make coffee, shower and by the time I get to work the cycle is complete.

Uses a few mA at rest and additional 50 mA when engaged

Attachments

JFloFoto

I also hooked up a RF remote to my Heater Booster. Depending on range or the mood it's in, it may or may not fire it up. Been trying to figure out a way to wire an indicator light from the module to the top of the dash so I can look out from the house to make sure it's on. As you know wiring up these RF remotes takes some magic to figure out as the instructions are garbage.

Any suggestions?

cian128

I also hooked up a RF remote to my Heater Booster. Depending on range or the mood it's in, it may or may not fire it up. Been trying to figure out a way to wire an indicator light from the module to the top of the dash so I can look out from the house to make sure it's on. As you know wiring up these RF remotes takes some magic to figure out as the instructions are garbage.

Any suggestions?
The espar doesn’t fire up? Or the RF fails to get the signal and doesn’t turn on ?

If it’s the RF, could easily add a 12v led to the output and run that to the dash.

If it’s the espar, not sure if there is any indication that it is running.

Or buy expensive two way viper that will report if it got the signal

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Nice work in finding remote relay which will send a pulse type signal :thumbup:

Idea... it is nice to have some of the other technology available with the 7dt, especially the fault code reading available if you’ve wired that up.. if you send a negative pulse signal to pin 7 on the 7dt it will activate it.

Top Bottom