Cutting into the passenger seat base

shiftingpassages

Hi everyone,

I’m currently storing a smallish auxiliary battery (that charges from a voltage sensitive relay off my my main battery) in the seat base of my passenger seat. My sprinter has the 3 seats in the front with the two passenger seats joined in a bench setup. Currently I have to remove a bunch of bolts in order to get to the battery (which I have to go get to often as it powers my amps and pedals for when I’m playing gigs). There is currently a small hole in the front of the seat base under the middle seat (but it is two small to utilise as an access). I was wondering if it would void the seats legality if I were to cut a hole in the side of the seat base that opens to the passenger door? If it were to compromise the safety or legality of the passenger seats I won’t do it and instead will continued to remove the seats every time I need to access the battery (several times a week).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Cheers

SP

shiftingpassages

Unfortunately, much of the time where I will be performing is often to far from my vehicle to run a lead. Hence I have to unplug the battery and bring the battery and inverter with me.

Sockeye770

It would take a brave person to say "yes", to cutting a large hole in the seat base.
Two quick fixes could be.

If your not carrying passengers, leave the seats removed until you do need to use the seats.
Depending on the type battery used, make an adjacent bracket/box to mount the battery in.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I agree with Sockeye, buy a dedicated battery mounting box (caravan dealers should stock them) and mount behind the passenger seat. You may have to extend the wiring but will then make life very much easier.

You may even be able to remove the battery box still containing the battery and carry it like a suitcase if you get ingenious!

Keith.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In Sprinters that come from MB with access panels for that area, the "hole" is surrounded by bent metal to increase the strength of the entire metal wall.

So you are correct/wise to ask about the loss of strength by simply cutting a hole.

What you could do is cut your hole, then surround it with a stiff frame (square aluminum or steel bar stock), with many attachment points (i.e. screws) to the sheet metal around the hole (or weld it, if steel). Such a frame would restore (or enhance) the strength of the pedestal's wall.

The "corners" of the hole should be "radiused" cuts instead of sharp angles ... in other words drill the corners first (half-inch diameter?) and then do the straight cuts between the 4 holes. The rounded corners help prevent tearing of the metal under severe stress.

--dick

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
In Sprinters that come from MB with access panels for that area, the "hole" is surrounded by bent metal to increase the strength of the entire metal wall.

So you are correct/wise to ask about the loss of strength by simply cutting a hole.

What you could do is cut your hole, then surround it with a stiff frame (square aluminum or steel bar stock), with many attachment points (i.e. screws) to the sheet metal around the hole (or weld it, if steel). Such a frame would restore (or enhance) the strength of the pedestal's wall.

The "corners" of the hole should be "radiused" cuts instead of sharp angles ... in other words drill the corners first (half-inch diameter?) and then do the straight cuts between the 4 holes. The rounded corners help prevent tearing of the metal under severe stress.

--dick
I would have the discussion with an engineer and ask if he would sign off on the modification it may save you a costly discussion with an insurance assessor later.

Top Bottom