Gas mileage

davidleeott

I am looking at Sprinter vans for camping and traveling and having a hard time finding gas mileage data on 2500 Dodge Sprinters and Mercedes Sprinters all models. Could anyone who has one tell what you get for gas mileage in town and on the road? Thanks.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
I notice that over 50 views have occured on this question with no replies. I think that's because there's no good answer for it. The most lead footed driver in a heavy conversion plowing along at 80 MPH might see around 14 MPG. At the other end of the spectrum is my 06 van empty, right after I bought it in Albuquerque NM. While enjoying the scenic route home to CA I had multiple tanks over 28 MPG.

Gary

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I am looking at Sprinter vans for camping and traveling and having a hard time finding gas mileage data on 2500 Dodge Sprinters and Mercedes Sprinters all models. Could anyone who has one tell what you get for gas mileage in town and on the road? Thanks.
You will not find mileage data from the manufactures since it is not required in the USA.

All you can get is information from those of us who drive Sprinters.

I can't speak to a 2500 Sprinter, but my fully loaded to near max weight, 2013 3500 Sprinter RV gets 18-20 mpg on diesel when highway driving at 65 mph. Around town in stop and go situations the mileage drops to about 16 mpg.

Hope this helps,

Moji

Hi,
We own a 2016 Sprinter Crew Van that we have converted to a travel van. We have a Dometic 15,000 btu Brisk Air II, 4.0 kw Cummins Onan generator, pure sine wave inverter. We created storage in the back by raising the standard u shaped seating/bed (74" x 69") up 16" so there is storage under the seats, in both boxes of the seat and a huge storage area in the back. We put in and take out the bench seat that comes standard with the crew van as needs dictate. We put sound proofing and insulation everywhere, mounted a 40" Samsung hi def tv, focal speakers everywhere, Pioneer Avic 6200 receiver, flooring and wall covering. We started seriously driving the Sprinter, our LLM, in May 2017. We have traveled cross country twice and now have 45,000 miles of mixed highway and city driving. We have averaged 20.2 mpg overall. On the open road with cruise control on the flatter sections, driving 65 mph, we have averaged as high as 26 mpg; though more normally 23 mpg.

One of the best items purchased for the LLM is Verizon HumX. For the price of an additional line on our wireless account, our LLM is internet capable. TMobile has their version also (SyncUp), though we had mixed results with their wireless capabilities (for both phone and internet) from Ft Worth, TX to Little Rock, AR, to Nashville, TN to Lexington, KY to Ithaca, NY. No problems with the Verizon system, though I believe the TMobile SyncUp has more capabilities.

Per many of your recommendations, we upgraded to Koni struts and shocks and a larger Hellwig anti sway bar. We still have some bounce in the back. I am not interested in spending the $8200-$10,500 for a VR or Glide Rite air bag system. However, I have been told that if I change the springs in the back to a 4 or 7 leaf spring configuration, my ride will dramatically improve. Has anyone done this with the improved results that have been presented to me?

Thanks again for such a wonderful website.

Last edited:

TDfanman

2005 2500 cargo, high top not "super high top". Usually lightly loaded and I get 21-22 MPG. Does not vary much, but even my local driving is largely freeway. I usually drive 70-80 depending on speed limits.

Larry M

We have a 2005, 2500 Class B with 158” wb, 19-22 mpg. The lower side is probably more city driving.

flyag1

MPG in a Sprinter is very much speed dependent: 55 mph maybe I'll get 30 MPG, if driving on the governor about 83 mph in my van the milage drops off to 14 mpg.

This is a 170" window van hitting the scales @ 8,500#. V6 Flat ground or hill don't seem to make a difference, you lose climbing and gain descending.

D

Deleted member 50714

MPG in a Sprinter is very much speed dependent: 55 mph maybe I'll get 30 MPG, if driving on the governor about 83 mph in my van the milage drops off to 14 mpg.

This is a 170" window van hitting the scales @ 8,500#. V6 Flat ground or hill don't seem to make a difference, you lose climbing and gain descending.
55 MPH appears optimal for fuel economy. Higher speed, increased wind resistance more fuel.

Sad that's about 80% of every gallon of fuel burned is waste heat, enough to heat a five bedroom home.

Top Bottom