1st Test In Soft Sand

Ed463

I was pretty impressed:clapping:
Very little drama, the sand was VERY soft and deep enough for the sump guard to be grounded a lot of the time.
The traction control is very keen to intervene but switching off The ASR reduced that.
I didn't even deflate the tyres to my usual 14psi. And the best bit was the destination for a couple of nights.
Roll on the Sahara:bounce:

Attachments

Ed463

ED.
Where were those pictures taken, and what weight are you running? Eric.
I've never weighed it but the entire conversion was designed to be low weight.
Weight kills the drive train (sorry stating the obvious:rolleyes:)
And of course kills off road performance. I'd guess we're carrying 500kg including the camper conversion, water etc.
I have to say, although I've seen and used Sprinters off road in my old employment, I'm very impressed.

We tackled some pretty tricky tracks, including axle twisters which it doesn't like, but it's impressive.

We're in Portugal at the moment. Heading into Spain and the Morocco:clapping:

Ed463

Also, what size of tire? I am guessing 245 or 265x75?
245x75x16
Imho an ideal size, not too wide which doesn't work well in mud or sand due to, well a sort of bow wave in sand, and not enough "bite" in mud. Deflated they will be even better.
Optimal? Probably 235x85x16, but hey aesthetics count don't they:lol:

Ed463

ED.
Where were those pictures taken, and what weight are you running? Eric.
And of course Eric, there's sand, and then there's sand.
This was dry, deep, soft. But very course. So I guess plenty of grip from the side walls.
I don't know if you have the stuff called "fesh fesh" in Aus? Incredibly fine, dust really. Now that's a challenge, who knows how it will cope with that.
We'll find out in a few weeks.

Top Bottom