sewer hose replacement

mtnman

Can anyone tell me what is involved in replacing a broken sewer hose? I could really use some step by step instructions for a 2003 Free Spirit.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Can anyone tell me what is involved in replacing a broken sewer hose? I could really use some step by step instructions for a 2003 Free Spirit.
Clarification please.... are you talking the flexible drain pipe/hose from the blade valve's connection to the sewer dump? Or, the hard plastic piping between the grey/black water tanks and the blade valves????

The flex pipe is simple.... get a new one from Wally World, Camping World or an RV store.

The latter is more difficult.... and probably best done at an RV repair center.

(The Crow is holding his nose...)

mtnman

Clarification please.... are you talking the flexible drain pipe/hose from the blade valve's connection to the sewer dump? Or, the hard plastic piping between the grey/black water tanks and the blade valves????

The flex pipe is simple.... get a new one from Wally World, Camping World or an RV store.

The latter is more difficult.... and probably best done at an RV repair center.

(The Crow is holding his nose...)
It is the flex hose that gave out. How do I get it out of the hard plastic pipe?

beachbum57

2003 LTV Free Spirit
On my LTV, the plastic pipe is held up by two hooks and two large hose clamps. Loosen the hose clamps enough to unhook the plastic pipe and remove it. You will see where the sewer hose is connected to the valve. Just unscrew the hose and replace it. Put the hose into the pipe and reconnect the pipe.

Jay

I also replaced the hard PVC pipe that the flexible hose fits inside. Bought a new one from hardware store as mine had crushed a bit. The new pipe was thicker and stronger so a tight fit but easy to do. I had been worried more serious pipes had froze and broke when I had white plastic chunks fall out the back!
1) If your grey and black tanks are empty fill them with fresh water and flush both tanks out well. You will be more comfortable working under the van. :)
2) drive wheels onto a few 2" x 8" boards cut about 2' each to lift your van and make it easier to work under. I use at least two layers of the 2 x 8s under the rear tires. Place some scrap carpet to lay on and wear safety glasses to keep anything from falling into your eyes.
3) with a screwdriver or socket wrench loosen the hose clamps that hold the hard plastic pipe to your van.
4) twist the pipe with pressure to the rear and it should slip out even if tight.
5) now you may twist off (counter clockwise like a jar lid) 1/4 turn the fitting for the flexible hose and find a replacement which fits into the hard pipe.
6) If you bought a new hard plastic cover pipe cut it the same length as the old one and press on a threaded fitting to screw in the end cover. You might use plastic plumbing cement but I did not bother because it will not be under pressure.
7) slide the new hose onto a fitting that attaches to the van. It is a tight fit so twist in the direction that the metal wire 'screws on' and it will stretch tightly on then slide more on working bit by bit around the fitting.
8) twist the fitting onto the van hard pipes then slide the hard plastic cover over the hose.
9) re attach the hard plastic pipe hose cover with the hose clamps to the van.
10) trim any hose that does not squeeze into the plastic cover by cutting the hard wire first with wire cutters. I bought a heavy duty 15' or 20' hose at wally world I think which mostly fit.
11) push the hose into the plastic cover and screw on the end fitting.

Spend the next weekend on the beach or mountains. :)

Amboman

Once an on-board toilet is never twice an on-board toilet ,
luckily i learnt my lesson from a hire vehicle, now i just carry a 5 litre container.

Jay

Truth is it was ridiculously easy but I delayed the fix due to unwarranted apprehension because of the plastic chips I found in the pipe.
Once an on-board toilet is never twice an on-board toilet ,
luckily i learnt my lesson from a hire vehicle, now i just carry a 5 litre container.

Free Seeker

Our sewer hose is usually too short to hook up, so we hold and than dump. Any suggestions on how to get more hose in the hard plastic pipe holder? Ours might be 8' long!

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
There really isn't any way to get more in there. It's fully packed in there. Part of the problem is you really want to go sideways with the line, but you lose so much length inside the tube.

I was real concerned at first, but I really only have difficulty dumping at home. Commercial dumps are always close enough.

That being said, if you want more length, you are going to have to buy an additional hose (cheap) and find a place to store it (difficult). If you don't tow, you could probably put a square tube holder under the bumper.

mtnmasher

I replaced my OEM sewer hose with a "Camco 39631 RV HTS 20' Heavy-Duty Sewer Hose" and a "Camco 39543 Twist Connect Kit Sewer Fitting", both from Amazon. (Am I allowed to say that?) All 20 feet of the new hose fit into the tube without any problem, and it extends at least twice as far as the original.

To prevent the clamps from digging into the hose, I wrapped the hose with several layers of duct tape before putting the clamps on. Works like a champ!

I keep a spare 20' section of sewer hose in the hub of the continental spare, but haven't needed it since installing the new hose.

Top Bottom