Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Skunkhome

I've seen tests run with meters and the Cummings quiet diesel was quieter than a gasoline unit which was in turn quieter than the LP version.

fourgonbound

Winnebago View 24J 2017
while they have slightly different tones they are pretty much equivalent in terms of overall sound level.

That’s how it felt like watching the video when he’s close to the rigs, so perhaps it’s more apples to apples than you think.

If you didn’t measure the dB level, I’m not sure you can really differentiate objectively being next to it.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
If you didn’t measure the dB level, I’m not sure you can really differentiate objectively being next to it.
Well if you test using different vehicles then you definitely can't differentiate objectively. :smilewink: And while it is nice to make an attempt at objectivity since the two gensets vary in intensity in different frequency ranges a dB meter may well indicate a preference for one or the other depending on how it is weighed and not necessarily reflect what a human experiences.

Regardless, if someone has actually listened to the two gensets side-by-side in a View/Navion then they may well have a valid opinion concerning any differences. But by viewing one YouTube video testing in different vehicles? Not so much.

Last edited:

fourgonbound

Winnebago View 24J 2017
While I agree the video is not a perfect case for comparison, it does show that the results are very close regardless of the vehicle. So does it mean the vehicle doesn't matter? I don't know. The diesel gen was on a View, so does it mean Winnebago does a better job at mounting the generators? Or does it mean the diesel gen is actually better at it?

And yeah, human experience is probably better, I still think a dB meter would be more objective since everyone's different and everyone's more sensitive to different frequencies.

If the sound is too loud, a few more dB may not be noticeable by human ear. But then yeah it doesn't matter since you can't tell the difference anyway.

brassarl

2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall
Hi, an additional consideration would be the smell. I was bummed when I found mine to have a propane, I sure wished it was diesel. I had a friend parked next to me with a View start up her genset, a diesel. It was then I realiized and was glad for propane. Perhaps I'm oversensitive to the diesel smell.

andrewj

I have the QD3200 in my unity. I have gone to several shops and it is hard to find service, so after some research i did track down the actual engine, which is made by Hatz. If you ask for Hatz parts you can find them. It is a simple air cooled engine, nothing fancy in a green onan box.

It is pretty loud and you cannot sleep inside with it going and the AC going.

The Hatz tech said they are cold blooded, and smoke until they warm up, and even then mine does have some visible exhaust. Kind of embarrassing, so i take a honda 2000 and shove it in the woods when i am with a big group.

So if you want to turn on for 10 minutes and toast some bagels, or microwave popcorn, the propane is a much better choice. If you want to run the generator for hours to keep the ac on for dogs or other long power needs, then the QD3200 if probably ok, as it does sip fuel.

If this ever dies, which the tech said doesn't happen, i will weld a custom tray and put my converted Honda propane 2000 on a slide out in the hole for making toast in the morning.

Top Bottom