Winnebago Revel

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
The Winnebago Travato came pretty close to meeting my needs but the quality of the Chrysler unit it is built on had me concerned. The Revel comes even closer to what I would want, with one glaring oversight--no shoulder belts for the rear passengers? Otherwise, I like the direction Winne is headed.

mrblah

I'm no fan if the big clunky straps that lifts the bed. I'm not a guy with big toys so that hability to raise the bed is lost on me and I wouldn't want to pay for it (and one less thing that can break...)

I don't understand why they put such small windows at the back... It needs to be about twice as big.

Offering some form of steel wheels and not alloys would be very smart (you can't bend back alloy wheels with a hammer...)

Other than that it's awesome!

Fresno

The bed storage on the ceiling is genius. The occasional times you help somebody move you will have a great tool.

Back windows are the stock Mercedes windows. The side bedroom windows are designed to insulate and open for cross ventilation.

The wheels in the brochure are the optional Method R17 alloy wheels. The stock wheels are steel MBZ R16s.

mrblah

The bed storage on the ceiling is genius. The occasional times you help somebody move you will have a great tool.

Back windows are the stock Mercedes windows. The side bedroom windows are designed to insulate and open for cross ventilation.

The wheels in the brochure are the optional Method R17 alloy wheels. The stock wheels are steel MBZ R16s.
1- I don't give 2 cents about moving someone if I'm droping 130k$ on an RV. I'll gladly pay my buddy 80$ so he rents a uhaul than have that contraption as my bed.

2- Still not big enough. I'd rather have some like those
Or something similar. Obviously it wouldn't fit the custom flares, but you get the idea. It's a small space and the easiest way to make it feel bigger is windows.

3- Good to know!

Paul_E_D

I bet you could stuff one in there at an angle. I wouldn't though. bikes smell up the house. Ok, maybe if picking up a new bike, but not on a regular basis. lol

Vanzer Pagen

Went to the L.A. RV show yesterday to see two things: The Sportsmobile Sprinter and the Winnie Revel. My thoughts on the Revel:
First, my van is about 30% done, currently sporting a Colorado Campervan pop top, Carefree(myass) awning, fully insulated interior (no finish panels), 2 CRL windows, skid plate, Method 17's with BFG 265 KO2's and upgraded speakers. That being said, walking up to the Revel with all of it's goodies my first impression was "It's Done!!!!" Ready to go, drive off into the sunset and comfortably hang for weeks on end. The show model had all the bells and whistles, including factory swivel seats, solar mit batts and inverter, Method wheels albeit 245 KO's (to preserve the stock speedo?),fully enclosed pooper, etc., etc. All those things can be seen on the interwebs... Again, first impression was for all the stuff it had it was a well thought-out design and covered most of the bases. I did some quick numbers in my head and for the $109K show price, it's hard to beat for a fully equipped 4x4 Sprinter Camper.

But after crawling around, I quickly came to the conclusion that doing any type of real "4 wheeling" in it will be really dicey. If you've ever looked under a regular motor home, the first thing you see is all that plumbing hanging down, the Revel is no different. Add a few batteries (cheapiie auto part store brand I might add) and the hydronic diesel heater, et al and there is a wealth of items for the rocks, ruts and other jagged things to pull off. Beyond snowy paved roads and well graded dirt ones, I would be extremely cautious taking it anywhere besides the aforementioned. I kept thinking of our recent jaunt to Coyote Flats and a big ''no way Jose" kept flashing in my head.
While honsettogawd 4wd roads might not be your cup of tea, I get a little personal satisfaction when the Rover/FJ/Jeep crowd asks in wonder "how did you get that thing up here!?!". Plus I don't like crowds, and two (vans) can be a crowd ;)
So, outside of true off road abilities ( and before you flame, allow me to say that I fully realize the factory 4x Sprinter will never get you where that above mentioned crowd CAN go if they so choose) there were a few other things that bugged:

Lay out is cramped. While they have a passenger seat "for two" in reality it will be for two very close adults on a very short trip or two small (under 7?) kids. Sleeping for more than a couple with possibly 2 kids is out of the question. With folding tables up, etc, getting around inside, especially getting into the fridge will be tough.

Bed lift is cool, they use the euro-lift(?) brand, it works nicely and the bed is actually comfortable (yes, I tried it). Personally I don't like the looks of the side pop outs, but for this athwart ship bed app they're necessary; having windows on them is a nice touch. At one time I toyed with putting a HappiJack lift bed in a tall roof to achieve the same end as the Winnie, but here's the rub: If you pile a bunch of gear under the bed that's tall enough to require raising the bed, you'll need to unload said stuff to sleep. Kinda PITA if the weather is bad. The storage area under the bed (when it's down) is big enough for a couple of mountain bikes, and maybe some inflatable kayaks or SUP's (all I need). And using the bed lift to help a buddy move? Um, NO ;) But maybe carrying a half sheet of plywood for house projects or other taller stuff, but I can't see getting motos in there. Plus I agree with the other poster on carrying gas powered gear in a "living" space; that's why we have trailers! There are some rather bulky plastic side trim panels in the storage area and the sales dude mentioned they could be removed for more space; hmmm?
The Winnie is equipped with the diesel hydronic heating system and they ran it everywhere, including the tankage so the vehicle is ready for winter. Nice. There's a Coleman aux A/C unit on the roof, but the battery/inverter isn't big enough to power it for more than about 10 minutes. Hot Summer ready? Not so much. There's a MaxxFan deluxe and plenty of screened windows with reflective shades built in, so ambient cooling looks good. There's a spot on the roof for a small genset, so adding that you could use the A/C. The spot could also work for stinky stuff like a BBQ or firepit.
Induction cook top is OK for heating stuff and it boils water fast! But for cooking real meals you'll use up real power and you'll need a second burner for any type of two pot food; I would prolly add a portable butane unit to the galley. (Besides riding and drinking, eating is in my top 5 things to do when traveling).
You can't get the truck with the optional HID headlights, so if you need brightness a secondary off-road LED set up would be good. Add that to the skid plate list.
The spare is the factory steel wheel with factory tire, useless IMHO but I suppose it would get you out of a jam. Add an Aluminess type bumper and you free up space under the truck for more batteries(?) and could add a storage box on the back. You would lose the ability to exit from the back in an emergency though, unless you were parked and had swung the carriers out of the way.
It's a tall roof. for some, not an issue but I still prefer the look of the shorty, even though my CCV popper makes it kinda but not quite like a tall. And it will be called an "RV". For some not an issue but I'm not ready for that yet. When I get that, I politely correct the name caller with "ahem, it's a VAN".
And while Winnie can put the lift bed in their unit for pennies on my pop top dollar, I have a bigger bed in a bigger space that's better ventilated and has a way better view! And I don't have to leave my stuff out in the rain...
Interior decor is not my taste. The bright green in the videos supposedly looks better in person, the show unit had a grey driftwood pattern that was better but still lacked the warmth I prefer.
One of the bennies of seeing it at that show was the factory product manager was there. While I watched and listened, a gal hit him with a barrage of pointed questions and he came back with very straight forward answers (unlike sales people). The only answer I'll call "BS" on was the mileage; he stated 17-20. From personal experience I know mine is 17 -18 on a good day and with all the stuff on top and inside the Winnie I would be happy with 15.

So would I? Mebbe. Still mulling. I did ask if you could get it without the cheesy graphics and answer was "yes, no charge". It does come in my favorite color. But I'd be adding bigger tires, and it would go straight to Van Compass for shocks and a lift kit. And some lights. But Tam (other half) like our van and pointed out that there was very little room in the Winnie if any for 3 dog beds. So I just got full approval to go full time on finishing ours. "If we get ours done and it doesn't meet our needs we'll rethink the Winnie" was the consensus.

So, all that being said, one of the big things for some will be the lead time. Sales types and Winne factory dude all said 2-2 1/2 months! (if you order today ;) If you've read the horror stories in the 'how long did you wait" thread and other places in the forum, this could be huge. I'll add the number thing back as wel. Winnie works with economy of scale which is why they can get units and your local dealer can't, and how they can put together so many goodies in the package at such a relatively low price. Anther thing that came up was the tax incentives. I guess you can deduct 3 years of interest as it's considered a second home, and if you get a loan at 5+ % (standard RV rate?) that could be attractive. But MB gave me a little over 1% so no biggie. At some point I hope to make my truck part of my business do I'll deduct the whole dam thing!

OK, hope all that helps. Before you flame, I will add that all of this is IN MY HUMBLE OPINION! So take it with a double IPA or a damfine Islay, whatever suits your taste.
And Have a Great Weekend... Get out there!!!

Last edited:

Fresno

@Vanzer Great review. I'm awaiting deliver around 11/20 - 11/30 so I have lost all objectivity at this point. You have "touched" one, I have not. However from photos I agree with you, underbody protection and a lift are necessary to really go off road. Are you doing the Van Compass works Lift/skid protection pkg?

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Good post on your opinion. Great points on ground clearance on equipment hung under the floor. You could also consider a second 220 amp alternator to power the A/C roof unit but then you would need to idle the 3.0 BlueTec and that is a no no unless you install an idle kit or engine oil heater.

How would a 170 inch 4x4 gas engine Sprinter or Transit fair? Then you could also install a gas genset to power AC and induction cook top? Sorry I know this is a Sprinter site.
I own a 2016 Sprinter 3.0 BlueTec Winnie View and I am not sold on the limitations of the idling issues. If you could idle with a second. 220 amp alternator I would not need a genset and would want a second 100 liter fuel tank.

roadracer

I'm coming from a vanagon westy and have been shopping for it's replacement for a couple years. I think the Revel is as close to the right vehicle as I've seen, but it's not perfect. I also went to the LA RV show to check it out (and the leisure vans serenity).

They really nailed the layout. I've never seen any other short sprinter that fits a bed, storage and bench seat into the same design in a way that seems useful and practical.

Regarding the windows. Initially I was of a similar mind and thought I would prefer the CR Lawrence style windows, but I actually think what Winnebago did is better. The reason it's better is that you can open the whole freaking window instead of just tip out a little corner of it. The shades and screen integration are also super nice.

I'm over 6' tall, so a sideways bed has been a challenge for me. I'm happy to say I fit on the revel bed, even lying on my stomach. I don't personally care that much about the lifting/lowering, but the bed is very stable and I don't think it's a detriment at all. I'd be happy to have it.

My three biggest concerns are (in order):

build quality - The door to the bathroom/closet is pretty janky. In the demo RV the latch was broken. Opening it was weird and tricky to get it to fold up. I think they should have put the hinge in the middle on the other side. The table behind the driver's seat was also pretty loose and wobbly. The push out knobs on the cupboards and drawers also appear to be knock-offs of the real thing and are not quite as nice. Sink faucet is "ok", but none of the gear is super impressive.

induction burner - I don't cook a *ton*, but it's starts to give me anxiety to know the power is coupled. I'd prefer if it was a diesel cooktop that I knew would run forever. Maybe if I knew more about how long that thing would last I would feel better.

Storage - particularly in the kitchen I found the layout a little lacking. Three small drawers that don't seem they would hold much and the "pantry" cupboard would really benefit from being the pull out style like on most RVs.

The under vehicle situation is not perfect, but I don't think you can do much better if you plan on putting batteries, water tanks and waste tanks underneath the vehicle. My biggest complaint would be the side steps. They kinda pitch them as combo steps/rock sliders, but that's a joke. The steps have big brackets underneath them to mount that would get mashed immediately if you got near a rock. I can live with ground clearance thats better than any non-custom RV.

The roof rack ladder thing looks cool, but I wouldn't use it and would prefer a more streamlined setup to avoid road noise, etc.

I also think the design could just be a little simpler. I don't ever see myself using that outdoor table thing off the kitchen pod or the tracks for the ipad mount, etc.

For $110k, I don't think you can beat it without doing the work yourself. When you add in service and resale, I think it's a really solid offering.

Besides upsizing to a leisure van serenity, the other thing I'm considering is asking one of the name brand builders to take a stab at copying the layout of the revel, but using nicer materials and higher quality construction. I'm assuming that would end up north of $150k, though, and I have a hard time thing it would be worth it.

I'm going to wait until I see what the 2019 sprinter has going for it before I make a decision, though. I'm curious to see if there are new powertrain options and I would desperately love to have full adaptive cruise control on my next van. My g-wagen has it and I can't live without it anymore.

Vanzer Pagen

@Vanzer Great review. I'm awaiting deliver around 11/20 - 11/30 so I have lost all objectivity at this point. You have "touched" one, I have not. However from photos I agree with you, underbody protection and a lift are necessary to really go off road. Are you doing the Van Compass works Lift/skid protection pkg?
Have not done the Van Compass suspension thing yet, but I do have their skid plate. Current ground clearance seems to be OK, got the truck back to the South Lake overlook on west side of Coyote Flats Ridge. Lots of deep ruts, boulders, etc. My wife seemed to think we spent more time on 3 wheels than 4.
But I have yet to hang anything underneath. Their shocks get good reviews and I'm considering them.
No comment on the idle with big alternator thing. So far we plan our travels around the seasons; looking forward to some sweet Sedona singletrack after a late season trip to Downieville.

Back to figuring out how to best use the mass loaded vinyl on the floor...

err

Very interesting discussion and huge thanks to Vanzer Pagen for the thorough review. Sounds like Winnie is mainly going after the crowd that primarily drives on road with occasional forays in snow and sand. It still sounds like a pretty nice setup but it's rather unfortunate to hear that there's a bunch of breakable stuff hanging down below the van. I feel like ground clearance and lack of protection is one of the biggest shortcomings of the Sprinter 4x4 and I'm not even a hardcore offload guy. I've been turned around on logging roads and desert double-track more than once because I was either gonna high-center or risk puncturing my fuel tank. It makes sense (to me) that they're not catering to this use but it would be nice if they tucked everything up neatly.

I'm sure Winnie is keeping an eye on these discussions. I know that I would seriously consider their package on my next van at around that asking price if I didn't have to undo a bunch of their work. Other than that, I like it. 144 high roof is where it's at for me. It rains too much in this neck of the woods to want to deal with a pop-top and the 170 won't fit in the places I venture to on a regular basis. I like the idea of the bed moving out of the way but agree that if you over-fill your van and then have to unload to sleep, that's no good.

I just went to 255/85/r16's yesterday (up from 265/75/r16 Duratracs) and am scheduled in at Van Compass for their lift and Fox shock package in hopes of being able to get my van in and out of more places unscathed. If I could grab a Winnie and just bolt on the tire, protection, and suspension upgrades to actually go off road, it could be a sweet setup.

theDangerz

http://www.ZENVANZ.com
Interesting indeed!

I can say as a guy wrapping up his own build (and looking into ways to save money as Im finally caving to the pressure to build a few vans for others) that I'd be really worried about where they cut corners.

- They give ample conversation to the ability to use this van in the winter without tanks freezing, but they still hang AGM batteries outside where you'll do severe damage or kill them in freezing temps... to say nothing for why they're still using AGM batteries to begin with.

- Battery bank seems light for the load (induction, fridge etc), and 200W of solar isnt likely to top you off, at least not for multiple days offgrid/off shore in a row. One gourmet meal and you're driving laps just to get a reading light before bed.

- In a video I watched they show having to turn on a mascerator pump every time you run the water simply to get it to drain to the opposite side if the vehicle. Insanely loud and makes me wonder how well planned other hidden components are.

- The bath/closet baffles me... how is storage useful if I have to move it all every night when the wife needs the loo?

- Where's the storage? Raising bed looks cool... but essentially means no storage for anything else.

- And I will never understand how all of these rv brands get away with still using pressboard in a campervan. Am I the only one who has opened up the inside of a 30-40 year old camper to see the horrors beneath?? :eek:

I know... i'm a tough critic- I know too much about what's actually needed, and I often forget not everyone lives in their van full time or needs/plans to be offgrid for months at a time or in subzero temps. I get it.

I'm still intrigued...but mostly in how they can make these for so cheap. I've been trimming our spreadsheet for days and I don't even see how they're affording to buy all the components (even with the corners cut)... I guess thats the buying power of being winnebago!!

I had to laugh out loud at a quote I saw on another forum:
"If IKEA sold a Sprinter this is what I would expect." :lol:

Went and saw one at the Pomona RV show. I was on the cusp of stopping my build and getting it but the quality if the build was very underwhelming. That indoor shower / bathroom thing is barely usable. The bed is super slick! But sits so low that you can't even fit bikes underneath. Back to the drawing board for me.

Vanzer Pagen

"I'm still intrigued...but mostly in how they can make these for so cheap. I've been trimming our spreadsheet for days and I don't even see how they're affording to buy all the components (even with the corners cut)... I guess thats the buying power of being winnebago!!

"If IKEA sold a Sprinter this is what I would expect."
theDangerz

Pretty much sums it up: cheap materials, economy of scale and quick design to make it hit a price point. I'd use that bed in a conversion though.
As for batteries, still scratching my head why folks are so enamored with LifePo. Makes sense if you really do live in your van, getting 2000 cycles means you could wear them down everyday for about 8 years, as long as the monitors hold up. But the new super cycle AGMs are very promising and all that extra money buys a lot of fuel :) The NAPA AGM's on the Winnie wouldn't hold up very long IMHO.

"I'm still intrigued...but mostly in how they can make these for so cheap. I've been trimming our spreadsheet for days and I don't even see how they're affording to buy all the components (even with the corners cut)... I guess thats the buying power of being winnebago!!

"If IKEA sold a Sprinter this is what I would expect."
theDangerz

Pretty much sums it up: cheap materials, economy of scale and quick design to make it hit a price point. I'd use that bed in a conversion though.
As for batteries, still scratching my head why folks are so enamored with LifePo. Makes sense if you really do live in your van, getting 2000 cycles means you could wear them down everyday for about 8 years, as long as the monitors hold up. But the new super cycle AGMs are very promising and all that extra money buys a lot of fuel :) The NAPA AGM's on the Winnie wouldn't hold up very long IMHO.
Depth of discharge! I have a large draw 12V AC unit so that explains why I have a ridiculous amp hour battery capacity (600Ah!). I can run my AC unit for 12 hours straight at full load!

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
……………………………………….
I'm still intrigued...but mostly in how they can make these for so cheap. I've been trimming our spreadsheet for days and I don't even see how they're affording to buy all the components (even with the corners cut)... I guess thats the buying power of being winnebago!!
"If IKEA sold a Sprinter this is what I would expect." :lol:
Interesting, my materials for conversion were $22-23K, so, excluding my design and labor it was around $65K plus after selling passenger seats.

A very well-equipped Marco Polo on Vito/Metris costs £53K with VAT which is about $56K without VAT, granted it doesn’t have Lithium Batteries which would be utterly unacceptable in NA market - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...v-class-marco-polo-luxury-camper-van-fulfill/

VW California is £41K which would be $43K without VAT - https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/models/california.html

Yes, apples and oranges, but really, in regards to manufacturing cost difference not much, Sprinter is more expensive but pop-roof is expensive as well.
So praising Winnebago for low cost at $135K plus whatever discounts is just not computing in my head.

George.

Top Bottom