Gear oil change in pictures

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
Gear box oil change in pictures

To change the gearbox oil "manual transmission" first locate the filler bolt 1st pic "top left side" then the drain bolt 2nd pic"bottom beside cross member" remember to clean around the filler bolt so as not to get any dirt "crap" in there.

drive around the block "you now have an excuse to pass the hot new chick down the road" :drool: drain out the old oil now that its warm and lose "great in the cold weather" leave it to drain and when your finished your pintcoffee put the bolt plug back in and fill the box with your new oil to just bottom of the filler hole put the filler bolt on and thats it.

the drain bolt had some shavings on see pic:laughing: grind em till you find em has consequences:bash:

max..........:popcorn:

Attachments

Last edited:

sixtiesplus

Great pictures, husband now fired up to have a go himself, approx how much oil did you need? Hopefully shouldn't have too much of that 'hedgehog' stuff!! Thanks again, cheers

maxextz

Great pictures, husband now fired up to have a go himself, approx how much oil did you need? Hopefully shouldn't have too much of that 'hedgehog' stuff!! Thanks again, cheers
get 2 litres mine used about 1.8 its a 20 minute job:smilewink:

max........:popcorn:

maxextz

update on oil change

well i messed up with the oil i used 85w90 for the gearbox and in the manual it says"the type of oil has changed during production to 75w85" so after buying the oil then seeing this i said there might not be much of a difference,
i was wrong the oil takes a long time"as much as the engine gets to optimum temps" to start working i noticed that gear change was very hard with the shifter having to be forced into its position until the oil heated up then it was nice and smooth.
the next day the same thing happened :professor:so make sure you get the proper oil for it depending also on what part of the world you are in.

so another oil change coming up.

max........:snore:

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Well Max I thought you were doing the diff, after all Manual trans , the only oil I put in is Manual-A MB A001 989 26 03 10 Yes there is a trap with hypiod Gear oils ,Dot oils, and most important engine oil! as the spick's&speck's are consistently changing, It's a hard call when the variants for what seems the right oil! differ in standards, in each others countries.
Do not pass Go do not collect $200 go directly to jail.:rant:
PS you may need to flush the oil as mixing may have some similar effect, a tad down the the track latter-on.
Richard

sixtiesplus

Thanks again gentlemen, am hoping the MB agent in Cairns, Noth Queensland, will know the correct oil type for our neck of the woods, it being a tad warmer up here than both of your climates. It would be handy if we had a manual, but can't seem to find one for our CDI313 2003 manual gear, they all seem to deal with the sprintshift!!!! Love this site, full of cheerful assistance. Cheers

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi sixtiesplus go to your MB agent and order the number above if not in stock MB A 00 1 989 26 03 10
Its a very clear lemon oil , the indicator for dirty oil is when it turns dark grey, and it's no longer clear, means as a rule of thumb to change it.
some dealers are hell bent on supplying alternative oils which is fair enough but watch out for the massive mark-ups.
Max did learn to read the manual in the end.
Richard

maxextz

update:rolleyes:

well after that little episode i got the right oil and measured the other stuff and it was just 2 litres same as i was refilling so i let it drain for about 2 hours so the only remaining oil would have been clinging to the gear and teeth so i reckon 2 litres verses whats left a flush wont be necessary:smilewink:, as the saying goes "the proof is in the pudding" i drove about 80 city miles today and it seems fine especially first thing when the box was cold:thumbup:.

max.......:smirk:

Attachments

maxextz

hi paul:cheers: i think 60k but its the first time i done mine:wtf: my mileage was about 135k:shifty:
if your going to do yours make sure to get the right oil not like me.:bash:
max........:popcorn:

maxextz

Any recommendations for super dooper oil or just any old thing thats the right viscosity? :drool:
"well i messed up with the oil i used 85w90 for the gearbox and in the manual it says"the type of oil has changed during production to 75w85"

get as near to 75w85 i always use castrol, or get mobil but its very expensive.
max.......:popcorn:

Another great thread Max.....just found this doing a search for 'gearbox oil' as my manual changing has also gone incredibly stiff!

I actually changed the box oil (and the diff oil also) when i 1st got the van about 3 years ago, but looking back at my receipts, the oil i used was 75/90 (would that make a huge difference being 90 instead of 85)? Wasnt aware then that it had to be the exact grade.

Trying to find some info on flushing the box too tho while im at it. What can i use as a flushing fluid before i replace the oil? Doesnt seem to be readily available from any of my local motor factors!

maxextz

great to see you back mark:cheers: i hope your keeping well.

once you have the correct oil just drain it and fill up with the right stuff.you wont need to flush it,i left mine draining for over an hour and it was back to normal the next day.
max.........:smilewink:

:edit 2 hours draining.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
update on oil change

well i messed up with the oil i used 85w90 for the gearbox and in the manual it says"the type of oil has changed during production to 75w85" ............
i was wrong the oil takes a long time"as much as the engine gets to optimum temps" to start working i noticed that gear change was very hard with the shifter having to be forced into its position until the oil heated up then it was nice and smooth....
Max, you'd posted that in August, I'm surprised that the one step up in the oil's weight made that much of a difference in the summer?

.................Meanwhile, I'm still looking for my manual gearbox:smilewink:

maxextz

i think mark only found this thread yesterday:hmmm:.i couldn't believe that the slight difference in oil could make such a big difference but it did.
if the weather was cold id say gear change would have been very difficult until things got warmed up a shade.

forget about your manual gearbox its not coming:lol:.you boys just love your auto-trannys:bash:

max.............:popcorn:

Well, got oil changed over this evening!
I got the Castrol 75/85 fully synth.
The old oil was pretty dark (dark greyish), and absolutely stank!!!!
Took her for a test drive afterwards. Does feel better, gear change is a lot easier. Still dont feel quite right to me tho. But at least its acceptable now.
While i was there, i gave the linkages a good lubricating too.
Cheers for the guide Max:cheers:

Top Bottom