No Power from Generator

Jim Scott

I recently purchased a Leisure Travel 2014.5 Serenity. While using it during the day at a local park when we tried to warm up some water for coffee with the micro-wave we discovered that although the generator started and ran fine, no electricity appears to be coming to the coach. The air conditioning and wall plugs also have no power. The trip reset at the generator has been reset, the breakers at the electrical have been flipped several times, still no power. Hooked into shore power everthing works. Any ideas out there?

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
There are some big breakers under the small couch behind the driver's seat and perhaps it tripped or broke. Check all the circuit breakers near the floor under that same small couch. Worst case the big switch box that is supposed to work when it senses generator power instead of electrical power, which also is in that same area, may have broken. Finally, call LTV and they may have much better ideas.

Jim Scott

Thanks, turns out there is a longer time delay, possibly because of the factory surge protector. Takes 2 to 2.5 minutes before connection is made. I'm used to more like 30 seconds in former RVs.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Hmm, I would have thought the factory surge protector would only protect outside electrical connections and not generator output. The generator output has many checks and balances already and there is low risk of surge or other power issues. I would look into rewiring this to exclude the generator myself. Waiting over 2 minutes to use the generator is not what I would be willing to do.

HarryN

Some load shedding / power management systems work this way. After you start the generator, they can take up to 5 minutes before connecting any loads at all, in order to give the generator time to warm up. A series of relays then click on one at a time to power each circuit, depending on the priority they are given and total power demand.

I am not sure about this specific coach, but this type of behavior is apparently becoming more typical in RV power systems.

Top Bottom