SprinterShift keeps dropping into neutral

rooferboy

after a new duel mass flywheel, new shift sprint pump, new ecu (got stolen) new transducer and various other things started droping into N BADLY, when it puts itself into manual from A, and you put it in Neutral it keeps flashing between 1,2 and N, so far spent £2,500 and still same problem

Sjoberg

Sweden
Re: sprinter keeps droping into neutral

I dont know if this will help, but we have a sprint shift at my work and it was starting to drop out of A to N alot.
When i try to put in A from N it worked sometimes direct but more often not, sometimes it took like a minute or so to get it into A.
When i stopped in a roadcross it put in N by itself often and there i stand like a minute or so and try to get a gear in.
My dealer said: its the hydraulic pump or the electric relay for the pump, both were changed and it did not make any difference at all.
Then (finally) we checked with the dignostic-computor and we found that the hydraulic-pressure in the gearchangesystem was going up and down all the time. It should be something about 40 bar if i remember correct and the pressure in ours was going up to 80 bar, then falling down to around 15 bar and was doing this repetidly. You could hear this by the sound from the pump, our pump was working, building up pressure and then it took just about 30 seconds and the pump started again.

I am not at all certain that this is the problem with your sprinter but maybe it something to look at beceause when you say "keeps droping into neutral" i say "I Now the feeling"

This is what was wrong in our sprinter, an accumulator for the hydraulicpressure. It is placed on the right side of the gearbox. The price for it was similar to the price for the pump. It was easy to replace and i got an short instruction how to fill up the hydraulic fluid again. Picture

The picture was to big to upload but i hope this will work.

rooferboy

Cheers, just waiting for the mechanic to come round, i dont know if you had this problem but this all seems to start the same way, it was driving fine the other day in A, doing about 20mph, then it went to change gear and just reved up as though it had missed a gear and went straight into N, this did the same thing just after the new clutch was fitted, but ten times worse now, i was just sitting outside put it in A, then into N, FLASHED A BIT, but heard a strange clicking coming from the new pump or box. this vehicle seems to go wrong every week

rooferboy

sprinter sprint shift

Mechanic just finished after all the new parts fitted £0,000s spent new valve body fitted as valves on old one was getting stuck, had to hit it with a hammer to release valves, i wonder if this has always bben there.

Daintree

Every time i stopped my sprint shift would drop out of A and go into N. After spending hours one day trapped in crawling traffic and having press the brake each time i had to place it back into A for it to drop back into N when i moved forward a few meters,it gave me plenty of time to think about a solution.
I located the problem to a faulty door light switch.The switch was corroded and making poor contact. This switch acts as a safety mechanism so if you exit the vehicle while its in A, it automatically drops into N instead of driving off.I replaced the switch in the drivers door and also the passengers door for good measure.Problem solved.
A few months later i had difficulty getting the sprint shift from N into A. I rectified that problem by replacing the brake pedal switch as it was jamming when i applied the brake.Even though i was pressing the brake my brake lights weren't turning on.It was an intermittent fault. It's located in a very tight spot on top of the brake pedal.
A month later the van broke down in heavy traffic on a major highway. It was towed back home. The problem was that the sprint shift won't go into A no matter what i tried.I feared the worst, but it turned out to be the hydraulic pump relay, that's situated under the passenger seat(difficult location),it was burnt out.
One day the sprint shift was acting very strange. It was in A but as i was driving it was hopping in an out of any gear that took its fancy.This happened a few times over the next week. The only thing i could find wrong was low level of hydraulic fluid in the pump. I topped it up and everything seemed to be okay.
I wish Mercedes Benz placed all the fuses and relays in one easy accessible location instead of the many hidden inaccessible locations as at present. I might ask Santa!

Daintree

Their is good chance the Brake Light (pedal) Switch can be repaired without replacing it. Just squirt WD-40 or similar onto the Brake Light Switch while pumping the brake. This should free up the rusty spring and remove any sand clogging the Switch. If not it might be time for a replacement. :cheers:

Top Bottom