Feedback on Electrical Mods

Namaste!

Below are two mods I’ve been contemplating for quite awhile and have been dragging my feet as I would appreciate feedback/comments before making them. I am not an electrical expert and hope that I am not overlooking something that might cause damage or result in any unintended consequences. Knowledgeable feedback will certainly be appreciated!

Mod #1:

The Goal: In our PW there is often no need for the alternator to charge the house batteries while driving since the solar panels do a great job of keeping them at 100% state of charge (SOC). Hence, I would like to install a toggle switch that will allow me to manually de-energizie (i.e. turn off) the battery isolator solenoid and thus disconnect the house batteries from the alternator when they are at 100% SOC.

The Plan: Splice in a toggle switch between where the black ground wire connects to the small post on the solenoid and where it connects to ground (see figure 1, below). Turning the switch off would prevent the solenoid from energizing and thus prevent electrical connectivity between the chassis and house batteries. The toggle switch will be mounted on the base of the driver’s seat near the handbrake (next to where the Trik-L-Start is mounted).

Hopefully I’ll remember when on the road with the fridge operating on 12 volts to make sure the toggle switch is on or if I need the alternator to charge the house batteries!! Otherwise than that, I don’t see an issue with the plan.

Questions: Am I missing something? Are there any issues with the plan?

The attached picture is of Cole Hersee 24213 battery isolator solenoid. The pic was taken from Yahoo View/Navion group site, but it’s very similar to what I have under the driver’s seat in my 2006 Plateaus TS. The only difference is that in my rig there is only one large red house battery cable on the solenoid terminal on the right.

Mod #2:

The Goal: I would like to be able to use the house batteries to start the vehicle in the (hopefully unlikely!!) event the chassis battery goes dead.

The Plan: Connect a small wire (~12 gauge or so) to the big solenoid post on the right (where the big red cables from the house batteries attach in fig. 1) and connect it to one of the two posts on momentary on push button switch. From the other post on the switch a wire would run to the small post on the middle left of the solenoid (where the small yellow 12 volt wire connects). The push button switch would be mounted on the base of the driver’s seat. Depressing the switch with the engine off would use current from the house batteries to energize the solenoid and thus connect the house batteries with the chassis battery, therefore enabling the house batteries to start the vehicle if the chassis battery is dead. The switch would only be engaged long enough to start the vehicle.

Questions: Am I missing something? Are there any issues with the plan?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Attachments

Top Bottom