T1N Cargo Compartment Ceiling Light Assemblies

bobinyelm

Since new, the switch-wheels in my 2005 T1N factory ceiling light fixtures (MB Part# 901 820 01 01) have a tendency to pop up and into the light assemblies when operated, no matter how careful I, or my wife is, when using them.

I noticed that the black plastic thumb wheels have white plastic bits in them where they sit against the projection of the white plastic lens (which acts like an axle for the thumb wheel to rotate on). The "axle" projection on the lens only sticks into the wheel perhaps 1/16" or about 1.5mm or less (which is why the wheels are so easily pushed up and out of place when activated).

Too often, when the wheels dislodge, the contacts on the wheel short against the upper copper plated portion, blowing the fuse, or the pieces end up on top of the head liner. (I need to put insulating sleeves over the copper portion.)

I am starting to think that the white plastic bits inside the black wheels are actually part of the "axles" which were broken upon factory assembly of the light assemblies, but having none to compare mine to, I am at a loss to know.

If someone could tell me how they are SUPPOSED to be, I could make a decision what to do as to replace all of them if mine were always broken, and aren't supposed to be fragile (about $70) or find alternate assemblies that would be more robust (if they are meant to be that fragile).

Bob

sailquik

Hi Bob,
If the light fixtures are the same as the one up in the overhead in the cab, there was a recall in
about 2006 on the overhead cab fixtures.
The dealer where I bought my 2006 T1N shipped me a complete new fixture a week after I bought the Sprinter.
The axles in the new fixture were mcdh more robust and had far more length of engagement,
so it completely solved the problem.
Might want to check if there any way you can still get the improved fixtures from Dodge or
Freightliner.
Hope this helps,
Roger

bobinyelm

Yes, they are all the same (except for the one just above the mirror, which is a quality type with a slide-switch), and they are crap (at least the ones in my van are).

It must have been a silent recall, because the ONLY one I ever got was for the tire valve stems.

Anyone else get notified?

Thanks!

Bob

bc339

Several years ago, there was a recall for the rear light assembly on models equipped with rear air. Has your recall been completed? If not and yours needs it, there's a new light at no expense
I had the same thing happen - broke just like yours - within the first year we got our Sprinter, then the recall was released, after I bought a new light assy, of course. Since I replaced them, they haven't broken.

Here's the recall info: NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 07V299000
Recall Date:
2007-07-13
Summary:
ON CERTAIN TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH REAR AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM, THE INTERIOR LAMP IS EQUIPPED WITH AN 18W LAMP AND A SCATTERING LENS. IN EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID CONDITIONS, THE COMBINATION OF HEAT AND HUMIDITY, AND THE HEAT FROM THE LAMP DUE TO EXTREME LONG TERM OPERATION, CAN DISTORT THE SCATTERING LENS.

Consequences:
THE SWITCHING CONTACTS OF THE LAMP MAY CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT OF THE REAR LAMP INCREASING THE RISK OF A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE REAR INTERIOR LAMPS FREE OF CHARGE WITH A MODIFIED VERSION WHICH IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE IMPACTS OF HEAT AND HUMIDITY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 17, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER MANUFACTURING INTERNATIONAL AT 1-843-695-5041.

Component Affected:
INTERIOR LIGHTING

Potential Cars Affected:

Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER MANUFACTURING INTL

Hope the images help.

Bruce

Attachments

Top Bottom