16inch wheels in T1N. What mods required?

kayakkingoz

I have to get some body work done to repair cutouts from Ambo conversion.
What wheel arch mods are required to be able to fit 16inch wheels without any probs.
I may as well get this done now while van is stripped out & getting other work done anyway. During ambo conversion they have cut into the right hand wheel arch & have taken away a fair chuck of the arch space.
Thanks. Dave

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Nothing special is needed. If you stick with the stock 16" tire size, it's just a simple swap. At least on the US spec models. I assume the AU models can't be that much different.

Eric Experience

Dave.
If you want to run 235x85x16 then you have to cut about 35 to 40mm our of the very bottom of each wheel arch. what i do is mount a small grinder on a bar which is then pivoted on the top wheel stud at each wheel. Cut the outer skin but leave the inner in place. Then rework the inner to the new shape of the outer and weld it on. bog the outside then rust treat the inside of the weld. Eric.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
There's a whole thread on it here...
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23924

To run the NAFTA stock size 225/75R16 there is no bodywork mods required. Just the mud flaps will need some rework at the rear, and the spare wheel carrier will need to be cut n shut. its all in that thread.

You cant legally run erics 235 size tyres on a non-4wd sprinter in VIC at least. They are too big for the +15mm diameter limitation, even using the NAFTA size as a stock base. Even the NAFTA size is more than 15mm bigger OD than the Oz stock 225/70R15, but my argument is that it is the stock size for T1N (somewhere in the world). There is no such argument available for the 235 size.

Simple_One

2005 Sprinter 316 CDI 4x4
I'm just curious what people have ended up running as 16 inch rims. I've been keeping an eye out for a while now but haven't seen any suitable second hand ones (that are a direct bolt on anyway). Have bought new rims or come up with something else. I remember Eric mentioning the Fiat van rims but from memory the center of the wheel needed to be bored out?

I was interested in running 235/85R16's on my 4x4.

EDIT: Here's a good thread on the 16's including the Fiat Ducato option:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23924&page=6

Last edited:

Top Bottom