Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:29 AM   #11
julie777
Julie

Default Re: Flooring-to insulate or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Floor insulation needs to be thicker than ceiling for aircon.

t.
I disagree. For air conditioning you will likely be dealing with massive heating from the sun. If the inside of the van is 80 degrees and the outside is 100 degrees you will have a 20 degree gradient at the floor. However, the roof and sides of the van are mostly affected by radiant heat which is much different than the conductive heat gain from the floor. Radiant heat is what causes vehicles to hit 140 degrees inside on a 90 degree day. That is why parking in the shade is so effective. It takes a lot of insulation to counter the sun's heat.
Kevsuda (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
Aggie
2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal

So far discussion relates to winter insulation and noise. I wonder if floor insulation would also help with reducing inside temps in the summer after / during a long day drive. I sense heat continuing to rise from the floor for a long time after stopping, possibly as the exhaust system emits heat as it and surrounding components cool ?
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:52 AM   #13
bcman

Hein,

My understanding of your post is that the plastic strips are needed to space the floor off the sheet metal and keep the Thinsulate from getting crushed. Is this correct?
Old 03-01-2019, 01:41 AM   #14
Shawn182

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie777 View Post
I disagree. For air conditioning you will likely be dealing with massive heating from the sun.
In that scenario you also have to factor in the immense heat that is trapped in the asphalt and concrete that is under the van from the sun. All that trapped heat rises right into he floor of the van as well as the rays from above.

I too was debating on floor insulation as my objective was more to keep cool in summer vs warm in winter and once that was pointed out to me and I did my homework I realized how important a good floor insulation was.
Shawn182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:14 AM   #15
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,971 Times in 1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcman View Post
Hein,

My understanding of your post is that the plastic strips are needed to space the floor off the sheet metal and keep the Thinsulate from getting crushed. Is this correct?
Thank you for asking for clarification.

It's necessary in the Transit because there are no ribs close enough to the wall so the floor is essentially cantilevered in those areas. The Thinsulate AU4002-5 does appear to resist compression and support weight quite well. Any structures sitting on the floor should have furring strips underneath. It will be fine to let the Thinsulate carry the load of people, pets and gear over the rest of the floor. I was skeptical at first but our experience with the Transit has shown us that Thinsulate(TM) AU4002-5 is a viable solution for floor insulation. Definitely very quiet.

If you are worried about too much deflection then we would recommend using minicell foam which we have been using for years. We just ordered a huge stack of it to replenish our stock.

All the best,
Hein

Tags
conversion, floor, insulation