Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #11
manwithgun

Default Re: EGR Wire Issue? Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKs00 View Post
It was a harness problem as expected. The junction That I was looking for was in tact with no physical damage but as we followed the wire back to the CDI we found that the shared wire pin in the harness was bad (at the CDI Connector). If you put pressure on the CDI harness end with the scanner connected it caused about 15 other codes to appear. The other two sensors that share the same Wire with the EGR are the TPS and the oil pressure / level sensor. We replaced the engine harness and it resolved all of the codes that we had.

Thank you all for your contribution and helping us resolve the problem.
Success stories with a persistent and logical troubleshooting are always great to hear. The harness that I posted above is being disassembled to serve as a temporary jumper to 2 sensors to confirm a suspected continuity issue in my harness (most likely at the pin terminal). My initial remedy was to solder the wire to the terminal at both ends and "attempt" to preload the terminal contact surface. Worked for several months, but the issue has returned intermittently. Fuss with the connection points and the problem clears for another month, or maybe a week or a day... Replacing the harness seems like a no joy process, which is the primary reason for seeking a hack. I've only done it on a pulled motor during assembly. Do you have to remove the intakes, fuel rails, charge air tract, egr cooler? Curious how long it takes. And again, thank you for sharing the resolution.
HKs00 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
HKs00

Default Re: EGR Wire Issue? Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithgun View Post
Success stories with a persistent and logical troubleshooting are always great to hear. The harness that I posted above is being disassembled to serve as a temporary jumper to 2 sensors to confirm a suspected continuity issue in my harness (most likely at the pin terminal). My initial remedy was to solder the wire to the terminal at both ends and "attempt" to preload the terminal contact surface. Worked for several months, but the issue has returned intermittently. Fuss with the connection points and the problem clears for another month, or maybe a week or a day... Replacing the harness seems like a no joy process, which is the primary reason for seeking a hack. I've only done it on a pulled motor during assembly. Do you have to remove the intakes, fuel rails, charge air tract, egr cooler? Curious how long it takes. And again, thank you for sharing the resolution.
Honestly it is a involved process, but its not as bad as you would think. The intakes do not have to come off but I took them off since the van that I was working on had a slight oil cooler leak, and I figured it should get replaced since we are already in there. The biggest part of the job is taking the turbo off. If you are just doing the harness. The whole job took us about two days but we had a couple other problems that we fixed, and also waiting on a couple parts that we had to order set us back a little. The whole job can probably get done in a day. The TPS is somewhat a pain to get the connector off because they really don't leave you much room to get to it, and the portion of the harness that goes down to the Crank sensor and the Starter is a little tricky to get to, but everything else is somewhat accessible. The fuel rails, fuel filter/ housing, and the turbo have to be taken out. the rest you can somewhat loosen up and move out of the way to get to. For example the oil filter housing top bolts should be taken out, the starter and the ac compressor should be loosened and somewhat moved out of the way to get to the harness, but you don't have to take them out all the way. just be careful not to push the AC compressor too much so that you don't rupture a AC line. The New harness is set up in a nice way that when you place it down into the engine it somewhat wants to fall in place by itself so its really almost impossible to mess up putting it back together. Every time I have to take one of these vans apart I find it easiest to keep all the bolts with the components that they go to because a lot of the bolts look exactly the same, and it can get a little confusing. I have been working on a fleet of about 60 sprinters for about 5 years now, and I know my way around them somewhat really good, So if someone ever gets stuck on something feel free to message me and I don't mind chiming in on possible fixes. I have Vans from 08 all the way up to 2018, and we are waiting for the 2019s to come in April. We ordered 10, 2019s this year and we may consider buying some gas ones next year, but we are still debating on that. All in all the job looks a little intimidating, but since you said that you tried to fix the harness already shows you know your way around a wrench and you shouldn't have much trouble getting a new harness in.
HKs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HKs00 For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (03-12-2019), manwithgun (03-12-2019), sprint2freedom (08-10-2019)

Tags
egr valve, egr?