Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
theOMsound

Question Floor Insulation

Hi there! A question about flooring....

We ripped of the old plywood in order to see what was under there so we can soundproof and insulate, as we're semi-converting our van into a touring setup - storage in the back with a row of seats just behind the driver row, and beds up top. We don't need the craziest insulation since most of the time we won't be sleeping in it, so there you go.

My question is, what do you suggest for sound proofing and insulation materials, and should we keep the metal risers in there? I know there are lots of threads on converting and insulating, but I haven't seen any info about having a raised floor at all. I heard from a few people that the extra height would be good so we can insulate below and let the floor "breathe" to avoid moisture problems down the line. Is it worth it?

Since we're also installing a seat, maybe taking out the old aluminium bracing is better anyway so the seat height isn't weird?

Any thoughts, experience, or opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Orion
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 6.19.38 PM.png (348.0 KB, 136 views)
theOMsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,881 Times in 9,436 Posts
Default Re: Floor Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOMsound View Post

Since we're also installing a seat, maybe taking out the old aluminium bracing is better anyway so the seat height isn't weird?

Any thoughts, experience, or opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Orion
The aluminum bracing isn't OEM. Keeping it in place may add complexity to seat anchoring.

Others will have better input than I do as to insulation and such for the floor.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
theOMsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
The aluminum bracing isn't OEM. Keeping it in place may add complexity to seat anchoring.

Others will have better input than I do as to insulation and such for the floor.

vic
I was wondering if it was or not. Definitely would have to remove at least a small section for the seat bracket. Thanks for the input Vic!
-Orion
Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
pbansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOMsound View Post
My question is, what do you suggest for sound proofing and insulation materials, and should we keep the metal risers in there? I know there are lots of threads on converting and insulating, but I haven't seen any info about having a raised floor at all. I heard from a few people that the extra height would be good so we can insulate below and let the floor "breathe" to avoid moisture problems down the line. Is it worth it?
Orion
I bought a Sportsmobile conversion that has a plywood floor glued down to the sheetmetal. I added a 1/2" layer of polyiso insulation (a Johns Manville product sold by Lowe's) with a 1/2" layer of ACX plywood over that. Looks like you could keep the aluminum grid and fill between the pieces with polyiso.

Here's mine:

BTW - you can do the floor of a 144 with two sheets of the polyiso if you're careful!
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
theOMsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbansen View Post
I bought a Sportsmobile conversion that has a plywood floor glued down to the sheetmetal. I added a 1/2" layer of polyiso insulation (a Johns Manville product sold by Lowe's) with a 1/2" layer of ACX plywood over that. Looks like you could keep the aluminum grid and fill between the pieces with polyiso.

Here's mine:

BTW - you can do the floor of a 144 with two sheets of the polyiso if you're careful!
That settles it! I'm ripping out the extra risers today. Seems like I'm one of the only ones with that so I'll join the crew without.

Thanks!

Tags
bench, conversion, floor, insulation, seat bracket