Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:31 AM   #1
caseylentz

Question L Track Bed Idea

Hey Everybody! Just wanted to bounce a new Idea I had for a bed conversation.

I'm currently in the brainstorming phase for a bed in my 03 passenger.
I've got this idea of using 4 L Tracks. One on each side near the rear doors and one on each side near the sliding door. These 4 L tracks would then hold a tightly woven Cargo net horizontally that could be adjusted vertically to adjust the "bed" or "large firm hammock". Call it whatever you want ... This cargo net would be tightened by either ratchet straps or cam buckle to keep the surface taut. I then would put a mattress over for comfort.

Crazy idea .... :)

My question is what is the maximum lateral and vertical weight can the ribs hold ?

Has anyone done this before ?
If so can you provide any pictures, video, instructions, or insight of your build ?

Cheers,
Casey
caseylentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:12 AM   #2
DieselFumes
2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew

Default Re: L Track Bed Idea

https://shop.cavevan.com/collections...ts/van-hammock

I have no affiliation to Cole (who's also a forum member), just posting something that sounds like what you're looking for.
caseylentz (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 03:35 AM   #3
caseylentz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFumes View Post
https://shop.cavevan.com/collections...ts/van-hammock

I have no affiliation to Cole (who's also a forum member), just posting something that sounds like what you're looking for.

Looks like downward pull on horizontal track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,638 Posts

I would look at maximum load on the roof as a limiting factor. I regards to a hammock attached to side walls I would suggest to calculate line tension versus weight and sag, you could have some mighty forces pulling walls inward - http://www.balancecommunity.com/know...ion-calculator

George.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12345678.jpg (91.5 KB, 262 views)

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,861 Times in 9,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseylentz View Post
Crazy idea .... :)

Maybe. I have no doubts about the strength of the Sprinter side walls as to holding downward loads. I'm not so certain about a significant load essentially trying to pull the sides together. Back near the doors is probably fine. My concern would be for the center section. Using the trimaran net method should be fine. Using a lesser number of straps will take a bunch of localized/concentrated pull.

It is going to take quite a bit of pull to maintain tautness on the bed support that you describe. Corsair and other multihull sailboats use a similar "trampoline" or net method to bridge the gaps between hulls. The support around the perimeter includes fairly closely spaced (3" or so?) fastening points with cord laced tightly.

Further down the page this site shows various net attachment methods.
http://www.atninc.com/atn-multihull-...quipment.shtml

I don't believe that ratchet straps will be part of the solution.

vic

Added:
Stretcher bars on the net sides could reduce the number of attachment points needed. That may be handier for an L-track design.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 10-08-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
JFloFoto

Not a cargo net bed setup, but used vertical l-track.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
JFloFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFloFoto For This Useful Post:
caseylentz (10-08-2017), Dakine1 (10-09-2017), life_goes_on (05-03-2018), Mendobob (10-10-2017), mtbkers (01-10-2018)
Old 10-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,638 Posts

Great pictures but at their large sizes difficult to see on this site. Reduction to 900 pixels max helps.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
caseylentz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFloFoto View Post
Not a cargo net bed setup, but used vertical l-track.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This looks like the outside van bed frame ? What did you use for the horizontal piece that fits into the L-track ? In your application it looks like there is no center mount to help support the bed. Is that the case ?

Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
julie777
Julie

I always enjoy reading about new ideas for beds. I still have not built mine.

Having used a hammock outdoors, I know how hard it is to get the straps tight enough to keep it off the ground. Ratchet straps, prussiks, or some such is almost a requirement.

A hammock converts all the vertical load to both vertical and horizontal load at the attachment points. The amount of horizontal force depends on how much droop the hammock has. If the cross straps are put under tension with the hammock empty to reduce the droop, then the inward force on the walls in increased.

I'm sure the sprinter is designed to provide some resistance to inward force on the walls during a roll-over, but personally I would never add to it.

Most beds are designed so that the force is transferred to the walls in a downward direction to the floor/frame of the vehicle. This corresponds to the way a Sprinter is designed to be outfitted for service work.

The sprinter upfitter's information very specifically requires that shelves be vertically supported so that the load does not have a cantilevered force on the sidewalls of the van. The shelving has the vertical supports anchored to the wall and ceiling ribs for stability, but not to support the cargo weight on the shelves.
caseylentz (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
caseylentz

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie777 View Post
I always enjoy reading about new ideas for beds. I still have not built mine.

Having used a hammock outdoors, I know how hard it is to get the straps tight enough to keep it off the ground. Ratchet straps, prussiks, or some such is almost a requirement.

A hammock converts all the vertical load to both vertical and horizontal load at the attachment points. The amount of horizontal force depends on how much droop the hammock has. If the cross straps are put under tension with the hammock empty to reduce the droop, then the inward force on the walls in increased.

I'm sure the sprinter is designed to provide some resistance to inward force on the walls during a roll-over, but personally I would never add to it.

Most beds are designed so that the force is transferred to the walls in a downward direction to the floor/frame of the vehicle. This corresponds to the way a Sprinter is designed to be outfitted for service work.

The sprinter upfitter's information very specifically requires that shelves be vertically supported so that the load does not have a cantilevered force on the sidewalls of the van. The shelving has the vertical supports anchored to the wall and ceiling ribs for stability, but not to support the cargo weight on the shelves.

This is a very good point . Perhaps the tension on the hammock or Net needs to be stock and fit perfectly in the van for my idea

Tags
bed, conversion, passenger