Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 12-01-2017, 02:44 AM   #61
thebitmaster

Default Re: 2007 Short Wheelbase High Top Urban Stealth Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinterKing View Post
Thanks very much.

There are two models. One has an external compressor that you can place where it's convenient - next to, above, below?

The other is internal. It's where it is. Sounds like you have the one that's internal, built in.

Good feedback, though. Glad you are happy with yours. I'm going to make my final decision here in the next few weeks.
Sure. I didn't realize the external one was an option. For built-ins , I can see why being able to put it somewhere more easily serviceable would be a great idea.

Now that I've proven I can live in it for months, my next step is to modularize the major features, and then set up a loadout for festival rentals. I live in Austin, and people here make a lot of money renting out tiny houses, grandma apartments, and airstream trailers for things like SXSW, Austin City Limits, Formula 1, etc.
thebitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #62
SprinterKing

I was wrong.

The 115 does not come with an "external cooling unit" option.

Their smaller version does.

I like that the 115's door can lock so that it doesnt swing open. That's a nice selling point.
SprinterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #63
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic adventure View Post
No bulkhead/partition? I have the Ranger Design sliding bulkhead. I love it.
Privacy curtain is aft of the slider door.

There are two curtains that can be insulated. No insulation in summer, with insulation in winter. They make an enclosed insulated tent from top of sleeping platform to ceiling and from front and back edge of the platform. Sleeping platform has 3 layers. Top plywood, niddle 1" polyiso and bottom indoor/outdoor carpet. Should have some data on temperature difference between inside and outside the tent soon.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #64
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinterKing View Post
Thanks very much.

There are two models. One has an external compressor that you can place where it's convenient - next to, above, below?

The other is internal. It's where it is. Sounds like you have the one that's internal, built in.

Good feedback, though. Glad you are happy with yours. I'm going to make my final decision here in the next few weeks.
I have the C85i which is the smaller cousin of the C115. I'm very happy with it, build quality and operation is excellent but I did change out the fan (Luc started a thread here about that) to quiet it down which helped immensely. The compressor is now the loudest thing and it's a very tolerable soft whirr, whereas before I could hear the fan running from the next room of my house!

In retrospect the extra inch of depth required by the C115 probably would have been worth the added space, but I'm not too worried about living with a slightly smaller fridge. It's still quite a big larger than the little ones, and I suspect if it were much bigger things would just get lost in the back.

What I really like about the Vitrifrigo is the full width freezer up top. It's big enough to be functional! I did modify it to add a quarter inch of height so I could fit a pint of ice cream vertically. I put some in my van back in August and it's still frozen.

I also recommend pulling the plastic cover off the mechanical thermostat in the back and tucking a wad of thinsulate scraps in there, to soften and quiet down the clicking significantly.

Be sure to plan for airflow into the left side (looking into the fridge) and out the rear bottom. It doesn't get too hot but if you were to leave it blocked off it would probably tank the cooling efficiency in hot weather.

(Edit: this is the fan I used)
sprint2freedom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxx fan, solar power, stealth camper