Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
pworthington

Lightbulb Sprinter Electrician near Seattle

Hello All,

I'm looking for a good Sprinter electrician near Seattle. My electrical system is 90% there, but I want to improve the connection from my house batteries/ solenoid to the van for charging (while driving). Either an outfitter/upfitter, marine/RV electrician, or savvy person...I'm happy to connect and compensate for services!

Please let me know

Thanks in advance

pworthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
Sprinterbuild

Default Re: Sprinter Electrician near Seattle

Are you trying to charge off of the auxillary battery charger or a separate system? I would recommend putting in a positive disconnect switch just to keep things isolated. Even using the d+ circuit I was getting a pretty heavy 35 amp draw off my house batteries right after starting. New starting battery helped reduce that but I would still play it safe
Old 01-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
pworthington

I'm trying to charge my house batteries (two 6V AGMs) off my vehicle while driving. I know there are many ways to achieve this. You can tie directly to the alternator or take the excess power from starter battery.

House Batteries -> Solenoid -> Starter Battery/ or Alternator

I've seen a lot of wiring diagrams for Aux systems, but nothing that shows the actual connections to the vehicle.

I want to charge my Aux batteries while driving, but only if my starter battery is at 100%, and the draw stops once the Aux batteries are at 100%.

I may be overthinking this, but I want to make sure it's done correctly.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,534 Times in 6,188 Posts

What year is your Sprinter?

IF it's a T1N, and you don't have a roof-top AC, there's an unused spot on the Power Distribution Block that's hanging on the starter battery's positive post.
That's a handy spot to attach the Aux Bat feed (via a fuse in the block).

011MIDIfusesOffBattery.jpg

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 01-24-2017 at 06:01 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
pworthington (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
pworthington

That looks like a handy spot to tap into. My van is a 2016. Interestingly, the outfitter who originally hooked up the system plugged into fuse position #7 under my seat (which is also visible when removing the oustside cover). Funny thing...he never put a fuse in its slot. That can't be good!
Old 01-25-2017, 02:14 AM   #6
Lotus54

I just fitted am isolator to my Eurovan- ran a cable to the house battery from it.
Not a big deal.

Charges the house battery when the engine is running, will not discharge the vehicle battery. This one has a button that will Allow the house batter to assist for starting If the vehicle battery is low.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:17 AM   #7
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,534 Times in 6,188 Posts

Here is a photo from another thread of the positive mess on an NCV3 battery (plus some words and arrows)
If i were doing it, i would use a RED wire (the "universal" color for positive)

NCV3battery-AddWire.jpg

The silver box with the ?? on it is a pyro disconnect ... in the event of a crash that heavy black cable is automatically disconnected from the battery.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 01-25-2017 at 04:19 AM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
outbound (01-25-2017), pworthington (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:59 AM   #8
HarryN

In case you forgot, you asked the exact same question in a thread that you started in June. - Looking for a van up fitter.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=47837

I realize that you and the low - price up fitter that you hired didn't work out, but are you really going to seek out another lowest price bid again? It seems like after the postings that you made about the other person you hired to do work, the last thing that you would want is to go anywhere but a premium shop or a MB dealer.

There is something very unsettling about your approach to business and hiring people to work on your van.
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
pworthington

HarryN

You're right...I've been looking for someone in my area to help with electrical (which has already been installed, but not 100% correct). I do absolutely want to work with the best in my area on this. Learned my lesson the hard way, now I'm trying to surround myself with the best possible tech/ installer to help sort this. Not trying to cheap out, at all!
The Following User Says Thank You to pworthington For This Useful Post:
outbound (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
pworthington

Autostaretx

Thank you for the photo/ diagram! This is very helpful. Is there a specific spot the (+) should go onto the starter battery terminals? I see a few places it could attach.

Also, what is all this talk of the D+ terminal under the driver's seat? This sounds like a good way to charge the house batteries without connecting to the starter battery? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you again!

Last edited by pworthington; 01-25-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Tags
alternator, aux battery, electrician