Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 11-01-2016, 02:51 AM   #11
RonR
Recovering Sprinter Owner

Default Re: Underbody foam

Can you say more about where and why for the foam? Was it for sound, heat or just to cover other stuff under the conversion?
Thanx
Ron
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:28 AM   #12
ablock

Ron, LTV uses foam both under the body (for insulation and sound control, presumably) and to fill the excess space in cable holes from under the chassis to inside the body. In order to run new cables from the inverter compartment to the fuse panel and to bolt the battery carrier to the bottom of an exterior compartment, I had to remove some foam used for both applications. In both cases I found it fairly easy to remove, but I was surprised how easily the insulating foam flaked away from the bottom of the storage compartments — and how unevenly it was applied.
ablock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ablock For This Useful Post:
RonR (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #13
kernhend
2017 Unity MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablock View Post
Ron, LTV uses foam both under the body (for insulation and sound control, presumably) and to fill the excess space in cable holes from under the chassis to inside the body. In order to run new cables from the inverter compartment to the fuse panel and to bolt the battery carrier to the bottom of an exterior compartment, I had to remove some foam used for both applications. In both cases I found it fairly easy to remove, but I was surprised how easily the insulating foam flaked away from the bottom of the storage compartments — and how unevenly it was applied.
Generally, low density foam is easy to remove because it has little strength. A sharp putty knife with a stiff blade will usually do it. This would have been true even if the galvanized steel was epoxy coated an hour or so before the foam was sprayed onto the under body as the epoxy coating would have been only 2-3 mils thick (0.002-0.003 inches). You could have removed the foam down to the epoxy coating just as easily if the epoxy had not been used at all.
kernhend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #14
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,805 Times in 924 Posts

After one of my projects when I needed to redo the foam insulation, I bought a 6 pk of these spray foam nozzles, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRODUCT-...3D150999555557, that make the foam come out in a flat width. Used Great Stuff, trimmed it and sprayed Rustoleum Undercoating to make it dark. The nozzles make it lot easier to cover large flat spaces. The nozzles are easy to clean if you let GS dry and then just pulls out for reuse or to clean out when wet with WD-40. Here is a video on it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSTraveler For This Useful Post:
ablock (11-01-2016), kernhend (11-01-2016), MEKKMan (08-24-2019)

Tags
insulation