Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
MechTek

Question EGR Troubles

Greetings all,
I'm new to the forum, but have already found it to be an awesome resource. I have a 2008 3500 dually and have always had one issue or another with it. That being said, it has been the best work vehicle I have ever owned. I own a commercial refrigeration company and currently have 3 sprinters. My 2008 is the oldest.
After reading the posts about EGR cooler cleaning I took the initiative to do the job myself with amazing results in drive-ability and pickup. The cooler was completely sooted up. I put a very bright flashlight at one end and was not able to see any light at the other end. After removing the cooler I submerged it in a 5 gallon bucket of warm water with a half gallon of green clean. I had to change the water 4 times over the course of 1 1/2 hours because of how filthy it was, and then used 2 cans of carb cleaner to finish the job. When I was done, however, it looked brand new. I also cleaned the sensor as it was also sooted badly.
The results were pretty amazing. The Sprinter drove 95% better and the pickup was like new. The only issue I still have is a shudder in the engine when it is driving. If I tap the accelerator lightly it goes away. Am wondering if this may indicate a problem with the EGR valve itself, or if it may be some other issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
MechTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008, cleaning, egr cooler, egr valve