Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
AndrewFromIdaho

Default WiFi Hotspot Mounting Locations and Wiring

I just picked up a 4G WiFi hotspot that I'd like to mount in my mostly-stock NCV3 Passenger.

I'm looking for feedback on where to mount it, and how to wire it for power.

The hotspot is a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100, currently on ATT's network. It's pretty similar to every other hotspot out there, runs of an internal battery, charges over USB.

I'd like to mount it semi-permanently, so that it lives in the van, but can be easily removed if I need to take it into a coffee shop, hotel room or wherever. I was thinking maybe velcro. I'd also like to put it someplace that if I decide to add an external antenna down the road (it has a couple ports), that's an easy option.

As far as power goes, I have the factory aux battery. Ideally, I was imagining wiring it in a way that it powered itself off that battery, but with a low voltage cutoff so that if I happen to leave the van sitting for too long, it won't damage that battery.

Any suggestions on mounting locations and wiring configurations?

And sorry for posting a decidedly non-RV build in the RV section, I just figured more people here would have experience with WiFi hotspots.
AndrewFromIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,784 Times in 2,029 Posts
Default Re: WiFi Hotspot Mounting Locations and Wiring

Is this application in a metal van body or a composite body?

If it is the former, the metal van walls acts like a shield and you must place this LTE Router as close to a window as possible to receive a proper signal. If it has a port for an external antenna, get one and place that in the window or rooftop.
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,518 Times in 6,176 Posts

What model year Sprinter?

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
JFloFoto

I mounted mine near rear view mirror. Power comes from tap in console. Antenna is flat square to the right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
JFloFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFloFoto For This Useful Post:
AndrewFromIdaho (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
AndrewFromIdaho

Thanks for the replies. It's a 2017, with a factory metal body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFloFoto View Post
I mounted mine near rear view mirror. Power comes from tap in console. Antenna is flat square to the right.
Did you have a chance to test performance with and without the antenna? Notice a significant difference?

Does tapping into the console mean that your Hotspot is on/charging when the van is running/has the key in, and off when it's off?
AndrewFromIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
JFloFoto

The Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 Connectors definitely improves reception over the hotspot alone. It can also be directional when needed by just releasing the suction cups.

The tap from the console is only live with key-in (ignition power). However, I ran a second switch-controlled direct power source from my aux battery for when we're boondocking.
JFloFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFloFoto For This Useful Post:
AndrewFromIdaho (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 PM   #7
SpamVan

I mount mine to the back of the passenger's seat platform... I have a wire running from the main battery to the passenger side where my 5-in-1 Alpine amp is, and then I've piggybacked that 12v to a Cradlepoint IBR900 (with a fuse). I also have a Weboost mounted next to it, with a 12V plug running under the footmat to the outlet under the driver seat. Seems to work well so far, lets me wire antennas near the windshield.
https://imgur.com/a/G92JCK7
SpamVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpamVan For This Useful Post:
AndrewFromIdaho (02-03-2019)

Tags
aux battery, wifi, wiring