Engine Replacement

gnubeardo

Hello All,

I own a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 with 245,000 miles that needs a new engine. According to my mechanic a connecting rod broke while he was test driving it attempting to diagnose my LHM issue. He quoted me 12,000 to get it replaced with a used motor and that is well above my budget. I have some questions regarding getting an engine and getting it installed.

I live on the North Shore in Massachusetts and I’m looking for mechanic recommendations. I’ve located at least one person willing to do the work (Catalano Auto Repair in Needham), but he is having trouble finding a suitable engine in this area and also seems hesitant about finding additional problems and blowing my time and money budget. I’ve also been talking to Tony at Reliable Diesel Service but he’s still looking for an engine for me as well.

I’m thinking my best option might be to get a rebuilt engine because it will make the van easier to resell and give me piece of mind. Does anyone have experience with http://sprinterengines.com/ ? Any other recommendations on sourcing a good used or rebuilt engine?

Additionally I’m wondering what other parts I should get done while the engine is out. I plan on definitely doing my engine mounts. My mechanic says my turbo is in good working condition. The van has a new exhaust and the transmission had a flush recently. Turbo hoses have also been done. Anything else that should be replaced while I’m in there which won’t be easy to do later?

Thanks for reading, thanks for your time
-Erik

lindenengineering

The quotation you got will most certainly be for a Jasper engine plus all the accessories as additional parts.
Bare engine $7700 plus extras like FIE and labor --hanging parts (6 hours) and actual RnR (12 hours )

The cost determination is what needs to be replaced & that which is damaged beyond reclamation .
As a benchmark such re-builds come out to be about $6500 as a crate engine if a major parts has to be replaced like ahead or a block.
Does that fit your budget or do you have to go used take out?
Dennis

Hello All,

I own a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 with 245,000 miles that needs a new engine. According to my mechanic a connecting rod broke while he was test driving it attempting to diagnose my LHM issue.
-Erik
Was his idea of testing a Baja 1000 run???

As always, what Dennis said. :thumbup:

Be certain to stay with shops/mechanics that have some real Sprinter experience. The T1N trucks aren't necessarily that exotic, but they do have some special needs when re-insalling an engine.

Good luck.
vic

D

Deleted member 50714

Yup, definitely make sure it's a shop specializing in European vehicles, ideally Sprinter's and especially for engine swap, which will require expensive diagnostic/testing equipment. Not to mention the knowledge and skill of reading engine data. Curious, how do you know the rod is broken??? Ask your mechanic what diagnostic tool is he using???

gnubeardo

Thanks for your replies,

Dennis - Yes the quote I got was from the Burlington Mercedes dealership. That is where I've been going because I feel I can trust the tech there, Carl. He was driving the van on the Mass Pike and I don't think he was doing anything too crazy. $6500 does fit my budget and I was actually thinking it might be closer to 7 or 8k. Do you know anything about sprinterengines.com or is there another place I can get a motor with a warranty for less than $7700?

Vic - My first question to all the places I called was "Do you work on Sprinters?", but no one really had a resounding yes, that's why I was asking for mechanic recommendations. I do feel comfortable with the one place I found, Catalano, after speaking to the head mechanic, but if there was a more suitable place I would definitely take the recommendation.

Bobnoxious - I only spoke to the service writer regarding the diagnostic method used to determine the rod is broken, but I was told he "just knew". I went and grabbed things out of the van and I took a look under the hood and under the car and it appeared that nothing was taken apart so I don't think any formal diagnostic had taken place... I'm a little concerned about this, I will call Monday and ask to speak to Carl and see if he can give me more information...

Thanks again for your replies.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Ahhh... the good old days ... when a broken rod on a VW (or Porsche) flat-four would be obvious by the hole punched through the block and the pool of oil (if you stopped quickly enough).

Plus the fact that *sometimes* you could just tape a sheet of plywood over the hole, add some oil, and drive (gently) home (or to a more convenient service location).

--dick

Jad_vanlife

Ahhh... the good old days ... when a broken rod on a VW (or Porsche) flat-four would be obvious by the hole punched through the block and the pool of oil (if you stopped quickly enough).

Plus the fact that *sometimes* you could just tape a sheet of plywood over the hole, add some oil, and drive (gently) home (or to a more convenient service location).

--dick
What?!

Top Bottom