L Track Bed Idea

caseylentz

Hey Everybody! Just wanted to bounce a new Idea I had for a bed conversation.

I'm currently in the brainstorming phase for a bed in my 03 passenger.
I've got this idea of using 4 L Tracks. One on each side near the rear doors and one on each side near the sliding door. These 4 L tracks would then hold a tightly woven Cargo net horizontally that could be adjusted vertically to adjust the "bed" or "large firm hammock". Call it whatever you want ... This cargo net would be tightened by either ratchet straps or cam buckle to keep the surface taut. I then would put a mattress over for comfort.

Crazy idea .... :)

My question is what is the maximum lateral and vertical weight can the ribs hold ?

Has anyone done this before ?
If so can you provide any pictures, video, instructions, or insight of your build ?

Cheers,
Casey

Crazy idea .... :)

Maybe. I have no doubts about the strength of the Sprinter side walls as to holding downward loads. I'm not so certain about a significant load essentially trying to pull the sides together. Back near the doors is probably fine. My concern would be for the center section. Using the trimaran net method should be fine. Using a lesser number of straps will take a bunch of localized/concentrated pull.

It is going to take quite a bit of pull to maintain tautness on the bed support that you describe. Corsair and other multihull sailboats use a similar "trampoline" or net method to bridge the gaps between hulls. The support around the perimeter includes fairly closely spaced (3" or so?) fastening points with cord laced tightly.

Further down the page this site shows various net attachment methods.
http://www.atninc.com/atn-multihull-...quipment.shtml

I don't believe that ratchet straps will be part of the solution.

vic

Added:
Stretcher bars on the net sides could reduce the number of attachment points needed. That may be handier for an L-track design.

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Great pictures but at their large sizes difficult to see on this site. Reduction to 900 pixels max helps.

caseylentz

Not a cargo net bed setup, but used vertical l-track.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This looks like the outside van bed frame ? What did you use for the horizontal piece that fits into the L-track ? In your application it looks like there is no center mount to help support the bed. Is that the case ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always enjoy reading about new ideas for beds. I still have not built mine.

Having used a hammock outdoors, I know how hard it is to get the straps tight enough to keep it off the ground. Ratchet straps, prussiks, or some such is almost a requirement.

A hammock converts all the vertical load to both vertical and horizontal load at the attachment points. The amount of horizontal force depends on how much droop the hammock has. If the cross straps are put under tension with the hammock empty to reduce the droop, then the inward force on the walls in increased.

I'm sure the sprinter is designed to provide some resistance to inward force on the walls during a roll-over, but personally I would never add to it.

Most beds are designed so that the force is transferred to the walls in a downward direction to the floor/frame of the vehicle. This corresponds to the way a Sprinter is designed to be outfitted for service work.

The sprinter upfitter's information very specifically requires that shelves be vertically supported so that the load does not have a cantilevered force on the sidewalls of the van. The shelving has the vertical supports anchored to the wall and ceiling ribs for stability, but not to support the cargo weight on the shelves.

caseylentz

I always enjoy reading about new ideas for beds. I still have not built mine.

Having used a hammock outdoors, I know how hard it is to get the straps tight enough to keep it off the ground. Ratchet straps, prussiks, or some such is almost a requirement.

A hammock converts all the vertical load to both vertical and horizontal load at the attachment points. The amount of horizontal force depends on how much droop the hammock has. If the cross straps are put under tension with the hammock empty to reduce the droop, then the inward force on the walls in increased.

I'm sure the sprinter is designed to provide some resistance to inward force on the walls during a roll-over, but personally I would never add to it.

Most beds are designed so that the force is transferred to the walls in a downward direction to the floor/frame of the vehicle. This corresponds to the way a Sprinter is designed to be outfitted for service work.

The sprinter upfitter's information very specifically requires that shelves be vertically supported so that the load does not have a cantilevered force on the sidewalls of the van. The shelving has the vertical supports anchored to the wall and ceiling ribs for stability, but not to support the cargo weight on the shelves.

This is a very good point . Perhaps the tension on the hammock or Net needs to be stock and fit perfectly in the van for my idea

JFloFoto

This looks like the outside van bed frame ? What did you use for the horizontal piece that fits into the L-track ? In your application it looks like there is no center mount to help support the bed. Is that the case ?

It's a modified RB Components platform bed. I modified their package so I could sleep crossways. The horizontal bar is by RB as well. I machined a center support which hooks into my existing L-track for added support. See photo.

Eka

You could use removable cross bars at each end that takes up the tension load from side to side. A vertical beam of some sort can be floor mounted, with a cross bar at the ceiling to keep the tops spread apart. It then has the L-track mounted to it, and takes up the load instead of the wall. Ratchet straps can exert a very strong pull. I was also going to mention trampolines on catamarans, but they have been mentioned already.

You could use removable cross bars at each end that takes up the tension load from side to side...
:thumbup:

My thinking was along similar lines. Then I remembered that a mattress was mentioned. If a mattress is in the mix, and cross bars are included, why not just add a few more cross bars and a light slat bridging?

IF a tramp/net is really desired then using stretcher bars could work. My vision would be stretcher bars along the wall side to minimize the number of L-track attachment points necessary. The (slightly heavier duty) end stretcher bars could be hinged/locked to allow easier stowage.

The above said, I have slept on Corsair and other multi-hull tramps/nets. They can be very comfortable when they are the stiffer materials used for most racing designs. With stretcher bars and proper material a mattress may not be needed.

vic

P.S. - I agree that ratchet straps stretched across the walls may be able to deform the walls. I know that a stretcher bar frame tramp will not be a problem. That design will minimize the inward stress on the walls.

caseylentz

:thumbup:
IF a tramp/net is really desired then using stretcher bars could work. My vision would be stretcher bars along the wall side to minimize the number of L-track attachment points necessary. The (slightly heavier duty) end stretcher bars could be hinged/locked to allow easier stowage.

What are stretcher bars ? I've been googling but not seeing them. Can you point me in the right direction and provide a link ?

Cheers
Casey

What are stretcher bars ? ...
Stretcher bars are individual pieces. A continuous support is generally referred to as a frame.
Stretcher bars provide a support along the sides of the net/tramp/tarp. The stretcher bar is attached to the fabric. That allows fewer attachments to properly support/hang the bed or tarp.

Pipe berths use a form of stretcher bars.
Post #13 mentions stretcher bars.
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/88511-making-pipe-berths/

A link that mentions caravans.
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?17853-Pipe-Cot

vic

Dakine1

Not a cargo net bed setup, but used vertical l-track.

JFloFoto: This seems like something I have been looking to do. I wanted to have my bed adjustable for different applications. I wonder if I could do something like this but somehow spring the bed weight somehow and raise it during the day for use and storage below. Thanks for the ideas!

photuris

I have been considering doing something similar as a sleeping solution for my two boys (8 and 10 years old, neither weighs more than 70lbs).

Can I put an l-track on each wall and then using a ring type attachment hook up a carabiner and hang up two hammocks for them?

Top Bottom