Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:10 AM   #11
owner

Thanked 1,073 Times in 757 Posts
Default Re: Engine Coolant Water Heater vs 12V Water Heater

I use the factory espar behind the headlight, and run a 60 plate FPHE in the engine bay, to a Duoetto 10l mains/12v cylinder in the back. I don't have the 12v hooked up. I have a tap which drains the duetto back into the fresh tank, so I can flush in hot water from the fphe. I find that this setup covers me for all of my camping needs, whether it be a short stop after driving - heated from engine, dry camping - heated from eapar, or "wet" camping - heated by mains power. Cabin heating using the stock espar system. This also has the benefit of not intruding too much into the stock cooling system. I plumbed the FPHE inline into the heater hose return line.

http://www.ausj.com.au/water-heaters...ct-detail.aspx

Last edited by owner; 07-17-2016 at 03:20 AM.
owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,788 Times in 4,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swelldaddyo View Post
Great writeup thread Midwestdrifter! I combed through your post and find some info on your isotemp setup, but still have some questions.

How has that vacuum isolator performed for you? I've never installed anything like that. Is there a specific vacuum port you recommend tapping into? Like you I'm planning on a fairly long run from the engine bay to isotemp, you mentioned that you are using the pump from the d5 to push that coolant to your isotemp. What are your thoughts on locating the isotemp approximately 10 feet from the engine without an auxiliary pump? Thanks for any insights you have!
No problems to date. Its a fairly cheap part, so I grabbed a spare. On the T1N there is a vacuum line from the brake booster to the recirculate actuator. I teed into that line. I have a vaccum control valve connected to a switch on the dash which lets me turn the bypass on/off.

The D5s coolant pump only runs when the D5 is active. The engine auxilliary coolant pump (plus the main engine water pump) provides ample coolant circulation, even with the added line length. If you needed extra flow, it would be easy to trigger the espars coolant pump with DPST relay.

Overall I have not had any issues with the isotemp being so far away. Adding a second pump would not be very difficult if needed.

My only concern at this point is cab heater output, as the plumbing method has the heater core flow going through the isotemp (or bypass valve) first. So there is some extra heat loss through the lines. I have not driven in sub zero weather to test though. Worst case scenario, I can activated the D5 to provide plenty of extra heat though.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:15 AM   #13
rino.bou

This setup seem to be very interesting.
But is there enough clearance to replace the head lamp?
rino.bou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:15 AM   #14
quiverkiller

I'd like to use the isotherm slim square for hot water, running the engine coolant line back to the cargo area where the heater will be. Where can I find instructions on how to properly tap into the coolant lines.

I plan on a webasto or espar for cabin heat, but that will be independent of this water heater. I have a 144 so no room for the dual top, and no need to preheat the engine.

Thanks
quiverkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,638 Posts

I have Isotemp/D5 for water heating and like it a lot. For an additional $700 you could add 4kW Eberspacher Hydronic II D4S heater in lieu of connecting to engine coolant, it would eliminate running long coolant hoses. http://www.heatso.com/eberspacher-hy...er-4kw-diesel/

My advice for connecting to engine’s coolant would be:
- Locate the marine heater reasonably close to the engine.
- Insulate coolant lines if run inside the van, good for winter but no so for summer.

George.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:56 AM   #16
Thanasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by owner View Post
I use the factory espar behind the headlight, and run a 60 plate FPHE in the engine bay, to a Duoetto 10l mains/12v cylinder in the back. I don't have the 12v hooked up. I have a tap which drains the duetto back into the fresh tank, so I can flush in hot water from the fphe. I find that this setup covers me for all of my camping needs, whether it be a short stop after driving - heated from engine, dry camping - heated from eapar, or "wet" camping - heated by mains power. Cabin heating using the stock espar system. This also has the benefit of not intruding too much into the stock cooling system. I plumbed the FPHE inline into the heater hose return line.

http://www.ausj.com.au/water-heaters...ct-detail.aspx
I like the simplicity of your solution, and I am tempted to adopt it.
I have a couple of questions:
1.Whereabouts in the engine bay you have installed the heat exchanger ( I assume your FPHE looks something like this:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PP2NKV/ref=biss_dp_t_asn)
2. Did you route the hoses from the FPHE to the Duietto through holes you drilled in the firewall or externally under the van.
If you have a writeup on this or photos, do you mind sharing?
Thanks in advance,
Thanasis

Tags
12v, coolant, diesel, heater, hot water