Floor Insulation

theOMsound

Hi there! A question about flooring....

We ripped of the old plywood in order to see what was under there so we can soundproof and insulate, as we're semi-converting our van into a touring setup - storage in the back with a row of seats just behind the driver row, and beds up top. We don't need the craziest insulation since most of the time we won't be sleeping in it, so there you go.

My question is, what do you suggest for sound proofing and insulation materials, and should we keep the metal risers in there? I know there are lots of threads on converting and insulating, but I haven't seen any info about having a raised floor at all. I heard from a few people that the extra height would be good so we can insulate below and let the floor "breathe" to avoid moisture problems down the line. Is it worth it?

Since we're also installing a seat, maybe taking out the old aluminium bracing is better anyway so the seat height isn't weird?

Any thoughts, experience, or opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Orion

Attachments

Since we're also installing a seat, maybe taking out the old aluminium bracing is better anyway so the seat height isn't weird?

Any thoughts, experience, or opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Orion
The aluminum bracing isn't OEM. Keeping it in place may add complexity to seat anchoring.

Others will have better input than I do as to insulation and such for the floor.

vic

theOMsound

The aluminum bracing isn't OEM. Keeping it in place may add complexity to seat anchoring.

Others will have better input than I do as to insulation and such for the floor.

vic
I was wondering if it was or not. Definitely would have to remove at least a small section for the seat bracket. Thanks for the input Vic!
-Orion

pbansen

My question is, what do you suggest for sound proofing and insulation materials, and should we keep the metal risers in there? I know there are lots of threads on converting and insulating, but I haven't seen any info about having a raised floor at all. I heard from a few people that the extra height would be good so we can insulate below and let the floor "breathe" to avoid moisture problems down the line. Is it worth it?
Orion
I bought a Sportsmobile conversion that has a plywood floor glued down to the sheetmetal. I added a 1/2" layer of polyiso insulation (a Johns Manville product sold by Lowe's) with a 1/2" layer of ACX plywood over that. Looks like you could keep the aluminum grid and fill between the pieces with polyiso.

Here's mine:

BTW - you can do the floor of a 144 with two sheets of the polyiso if you're careful!

theOMsound

I bought a Sportsmobile conversion that has a plywood floor glued down to the sheetmetal. I added a 1/2" layer of polyiso insulation (a Johns Manville product sold by Lowe's) with a 1/2" layer of ACX plywood over that. Looks like you could keep the aluminum grid and fill between the pieces with polyiso.

Here's mine:

BTW - you can do the floor of a 144 with two sheets of the polyiso if you're careful!
That settles it! I'm ripping out the extra risers today. Seems like I'm one of the only ones with that so I'll join the crew without.

Thanks!

Top Bottom