Considering buying a 2008 2500 170. Needs Swirl Valve Service

INeedHelp

Also, one van is a dually & one is not. IMO it shouldn't be a choice between one or the other. What are your needs?
I’m going to be doing a conversion for recreational use. Planning on driving it across North and South America, so I’ll definitely need something that will be reliable that won’t be over budget. These both fit the bill in terms of price and mileage. I’m just wondering if putting 5k into repairs will help the 2008 (108,000 miles) outperform the 2010 (172,000 miles). I’d really be hoping to spend less than the 5k to make it least adequate for a long distance trip though.

lindenengineering

This is a fairly common job!~
First contemplate a new cooler and seals sitting in the valley floor under the manifolds . Prone to leakage the seals are now purple.

Next getting the manifolds out means pulling the turbo!
If someone has been in there before and used steel bolts on the turbo Y pipe collector it's easier to pull the whole power pack and cut it all out with ease. I find about 30% of jobs are like these.
The EKAS linkage can be either worn by heat attack , broken mechanisms, suspect sensors or simply seized.
The manifolds come with an actuator pricing is about $1750 for both.
If you need just actuator and the lego block pivots, then budget about $200.
Gaskets and the spool connector between the manifolds add about $250.

Clean out with BG throttle body cleaner and plug the ports just aft of the valves . Use shop line to clean carbon.
Use a torque wrench in NM and new bronze bolts for the turbo.
Its advisable to pull and clean the EGR cooler and almost every one at 100,000 miles plus will be at least 50% plugged up.

This job is not for the feint hearted and even skilled mechanics have challenges with it.
There are some techniques to master such as getting the inlet manifolds in place without damaging the new linkage or misplacing the connector spool which will result in massive coolant leaks. When changing out the oil cooler you must be extremely careful with cleanliness as you can wreck an engine!
Dennis

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I’m going to be doing a conversion for recreational use. Planning on driving it across North and South America ...
Let's stop right there. If you ask me, an NCV3 Sprinter (2007 and newer) is the wrong vehicle for this job. If you like a Sprinter, I'd get an older one (the T1N). It's a bit simpler and less prone to leaving you stuck on the side of the road.

Really, I'd be unlikely to choose a Sprinter at all. I'd lean towards a gasoline powered Transit. Or I'd research vehicles originally sold in South America. Those would be easier to service in the less developed parts of South America.

INeedHelp

If you like a Sprinter, I'd get an older one (the T1N). It's a bit simpler and less prone to leaving you stuck on the side of the road.
I did just find a 2003 T1N for the same price as the 2008 with 162,000 miles on it. There’s not much info except that it’s a 158” wheel base, so it seems much smaller than the 170 HR. The body looks great though. Looks like it may have previously been a Penske or something like that.

Do you guys think that the T1N is more reliable, even at 14 years old?

lindenengineering

Let's stop right there. If you ask me, an NCV3 Sprinter (2007 and newer) is the wrong vehicle for this job. If you like a Sprinter, I'd get an older one (the T1N). It's a bit simpler and less prone to leaving you stuck on the side of the road.

Really, I'd be unlikely to choose a Sprinter at all. I'd lean towards a gasoline powered Transit. Or I'd research vehicles originally sold in South America. Those would be easier to service in the less developed parts of South America.
There is some merit to this post of Peter's here.
If you genuinely want to venture south of the border (and its not a pipe dream--fleet of fancy) then the older TIN Sprinter is the "van".
It's easy to fix (at least from my perspective) very reliable and has minimal pollution controls on it.
This factor alone by itself limits you really to roaming around North America only, when living the van life in a 2007 onwards 906 Sprinter ! Only made worse by Blurrtech models of post 2010 vintage !
I don't think North America was really ready in 2010 for this fiasco of a pollution control experimentation by MB foisted upon the public at large ! Let alone Mexico and Central America! :lol: A "catlick Irish benediction is required here just ("tinking about it" ) just thinking about it! Yah know Eli Wallach style playing Tuco !:crazy:
Spectacles, Testicles Wallet and Watch!
Just think you are in the back streets of Tegucigalpa, the "milandros" are closing in, and got the last of the 9 starts up yur shirt--AND it's no good screaming they will send some US Marines to get me outta here!--'Cos they couldnt fix it either! :laughing:
Like something out of a futuristic Sci Fi movie Beam me up Scotty or Manfred @ MB with yer SCN coding!:lol:

The exception has to be gasoline 906 Sprinter (2007 to 2009) which have a derivative of the 3.5 litre E class power plant in it known as the 272 unit under the hood.
No more complicated than the Ford Eco-Boost engine--not too difficult to work on!

I have quite a few customers who go well south of the border and return in TIN's unscathed! Less so with 906 models. Even fewer with Blurrtechs! (Una Carcacha--Coche Pichocha)--- Si Senorrrrr ! Don't forget to roll yur r's--it may be the only thing rolling in a Blurrtech Sprinter south of the border
Food for thought indeed !
Talk about needing a Fist Full of Dollars for the Grua!
Hasta la Proxima!
Dennis

Last edited:

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
I’m going to be doing a conversion for recreational use. Planning on driving it across North and South America
This is important information! For some reason people come to this forum giving few details, just saying they want to do a "conversion" and then ask for help.

Read up on Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), which is required by the 2007 and newer Sprinter and unavailable in most of Central and South America.

If your heart is set on the Sprinter (we understand..:lol:), consider a gasoline 07-09 model if you can find one. Worse mpg, but the lower maintenance costs may well make up for it..

These both fit the bill in terms of price and mileage.
IMO, mileage is pretty much irrelevant for Sprinters without considering state of maintenance.

I did just find a 2003 T1N for the same price as the 2008 with 162,000 miles on it. There’s not much info except that it’s a 158” wheel base, so it seems much smaller than the 170 HR.
Wheelbase is the distance between the axles, not the length of the vehicle. T1N is shorter inside. How tall are you?

Bottom line, you need to do more research before plunking down cash for a van.

Last edited:

SprinterHelp

2005 Dudge Sprinter 144
Hi everyone! New here and considering buying a 2008 2500 170 for a conversion.
It only has 108,000 miles and some rust. The main issue is that it needs swirl valve service. I'm not sure what that means, but from what I've read it looks like I'll need to replace the intake manifold. I'd be willing to do it myself (no experience in mechanics, but time and can read the internet). Just wondering what the communities thoughts were.

Where you at?

Top Bottom