Blooper Buildout

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Blooper Buildout Propane Locker

It's a window. You can see the back of it in the first photo in the post above, plexiglass held on with VHB tape. The tank has a built in float gauge and I wanted to be able to see the tank level without opening the door. Our Dometic chest fridge will sit on the floor behind the bench seat and block the propane locker door. Easy enough to move but the little window lets me see how much propane is left without any extra effort. The sink door has a perforated Penn Elcom dish as an air vent. https://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?PN=D2101-04&LG=EN

Here is a photo showing the view of the gauge through the window.

IMG_5979.jpg

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Thanks for the explanation.

I was just worried it may be a vent or open hole which is generally not a good idea in a gas locker. Glad to see you have it sealed.

Keith.

Cwhite87

Subscribed!....Your progress looks great, I love the cabinetry, that floor really pops! cant wait to hear updates. I do ask now that the galley is in. What is the over all depth. Also I dont know how tall you are. Im curious if its height being a little lower then the window would mess with your back.

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Thanks! The cabinet is 19" deep, 27" tall and 54" long. It is low for standing but the whole van is set up for outdoor camping. The inside kitchen is just the right height for sitting on the end of the bed and making coffee! There are two main reasons we did it this way, the passenger van interior window trim is a perfect solution. The factory passenger wall panels all end at a lip on the factory widow trim so we used that same point for our panels and cabinets.
IMG_6252.jpg

Here you can see how it will work from the end of the bed.
IMG_6228.jpg

The other reason is we want the Lagun table mount to be at a usable height. The plan is for the wife and I to sit at the bed end and the girl to sit on the chest fridge. The 27" counter height puts the table at around 30" off the floor.
We are using a folding boat table, that should get installed in the next few days and then I will know if all the plans come together! One odd thing is with our long 158" wheelbase and simple build we have a lot of space, we need a 32" long table to stretch from the bed seats to the fridge seat... I will post up when I get the table in. I don't remember seeing a folding boat table in anyone else's build though I'm sure they must be out there.
IMG_6234.jpg

The van is a box of compromise. Having all the windows drove our design process. We like how it is turning out.

Last edited:

Cwhite87

Thanks! The cabinet is 19" deep, 27" tall and 54" long. It is low for standing but the whole van is set up for outdoor camping. The inside kitchen is just the right height for sitting on the end of the bed and making coffee! There are two main reasons we did it this way, the passenger van interior window trim is a perfect solution. The factory passenger wall panels all end at a lip on the factory widow trim so we used that same point for our panels and cabinets.
View attachment 115808

Here you can see how it will work from the end of the bed.
View attachment 115809

The other reason is we want the Lagun table mount to be at a usable height. The plan is for the wife and I to sit at the bed end and the girl to sit on the chest fridge. The 27" counter height puts the table at around 30" off the floor.
We are using a folding boat table, that should get installed in the next few days and then I will know if all the plans come together! One odd thing is with our long 158" wheelbase and simple build we have a lot of space, we need a 32" long table to stretch from the bed seats to the fridge seat... I will post up when I get the table in. I don't remember seeing a folding boat table in anyone else's build though I'm sure they must be out there.
View attachment 115810

The van is a box of compromise. Having all the windows drove our design process. We like how it is turning out.
Its a beautiful design. I was just curious. As i not exactly sure how deep i wanna go with my build. As well as anxious to see the continuing process. Thank you for sharing

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Blooper Buildout Kitchen

When I looked around for the best price on a Lagun table mount I ended up in England at Marineteak.com, https://www.marineteak.co.uk/ . In addition to the best Lagun price they also sell table tops... I ordered a medium size folding sailboat table. Nice piece of teak with a raised lip called a fiddle around the edges when it is folded and flat when it is open. 31.5" long and 13.5" wide folded, 27.5 wide open. Scrubbed it with a stiff brush and strong laundry soap solution, let it dry then put two coats of Semco teak sealer on it.

IMG_6240.jpg

IMG_6239.jpg

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Blooper Buildout Kitchen

Mounted up in the van. We are going to try it out on some big trips in August and see how it works. We may dismount it and store it on the wall behind the sliding door opening. Probably use it more in the winter than the summer...

Getting very close to vacation, the drawers will have to wait till the Fall, we need to use this thing!

IMG_6264.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Blooper Buildout Kitchen

That's a sexy piece of hardwood there.
It's a heavy piece of hardwood!
The table with the Lagun base attached is 17.4 LB. The weight is one of the reasons we are thinking of routinely demounting it. I am going to make a shim out of UHMW plastic scrap or plywood to support the arm when in the stowed position and see if that helps keep it from beating itself to death on bumpy roads. That Lagun mount is strong...

Some field testing is scheduled for August.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You could take a router, and remove some of the back side thickness, but leave some ribs for strength, You could cut 2lbs that way maybe.

I would suggest a plastic bumpstop, and use a bungee cord to hold the table in the stowed position.

Assuming you want to use the table often, stowing gets quite tiresome with something over 10lbs and that long.

MsNomer

This may be the Sprinter conversion I like best of all. You guys have nice big windows that so many feel compelled to obstruct.

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Thanks MsNomer, I like your set up too.
I know there are as many ideas about the perfect van as there are van owners but we sure like the windows. We tend to camp out in the boonies, National Forests, BLM land and all the other public land out west. Seems a shame to not wake up to that.
When we do camp in "unofficial" places, operational security seems to be the key. No noise, no lights, just park up and sleep, get up real early and go.

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Blooper Buildout Curtains

Installed some curtains. Used shock cord and nylon cable clamps with black oxide screws and washers. Mounted an extra cable clamp and a short section of cord as tie backs. Made a cup of tea.

IMG_6298.jpg

IMG_6299.jpg

IMG_6300.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

Top Bottom