A roof rack for cost conscientious

Teutonic9

Great photo, thank you. Does the side height of the rack stick up even or above the roof ac? This question with the thought of putting canoes up there and I don't want them sitting on the AC of course. Too thoughts on putting in addl cross bars at the top rail height? Again, with thoughts of boats, or for that matter bike racks etc. Thanks!!
I believe the side rails were still slightly shorter than the height of the a/c unit. It would probably be tricky to put a canoe up there with the a/c unit.

Teutonic9

I retract the last post. My customer came by the shop today with the 144" that has the rooftop a/c. The Vantech rack sides are just barely taller than the rooftop a/c unit.

Are the cross bars movable front to back or are they in fixed positions? I also have rooftop A/c and would like to use the extra slats to make them closer together.
How did you attach the slats running front to rear?

Thanks Niel

Teutonic9

The cross bars have dedicated spots in the side rails. You could add spots but would have to cut areas in the side rails. The fore/aft pieces were installed with bolts/nuts and small pieces of flat aluminum to join them.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Are the cross bars movable front to back or are they in fixed positions? I also have rooftop A/c and would like to use the extra slats to make them closer together.
How did you attach the slats running front to rear?

Thanks Niel
I've been looking at the AluRack from Prime Design as better option for me since the cross bars can be located anywhere along the side rails to clear things on the roof.

https://www.primedesign.net/vehicle-product/sprinter/sprinter-alurack/

1jonhansen

I didn't have the factory rails so I knew I would have to drill my own holes either way. I decided to use unistrut/superstrut. It's used a lot in the in the industrial world for plumbing and electrical stuff... i guess. I spent $300 on the entire rack by buying it in 20 ft lengths:
2 13 ft lengths for the main rails
4 crossmembers that attach using unistrut brackets.

This holds my 300w solar panel and awning and it gives me universal adaptability in the future. I wanted to added Yakima crossbars and the brackets are only 5 bucks to attach round bars.

You can buy it in galvanized, stainless, and aluminum. White, Black and my ACME (Portland) has it in Forest Green! That would have been cool! Oh well.

It fits perfect in the factory roof channel.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I didn't have the factory rails so I knew I would have to drill my own holes either way. I decided to use unistrut/superstrut. It's used a lot in the in the industrial world for plumbing and electrical stuff... i guess. I spent $300 on the entire rack by buying it in 20 ft lengths:
2 13 ft lengths for the main rails
4 crossmembers that attach using unistrut brackets.

This holds my 300w solar panel and awning and it gives me universal adaptability in the future. I wanted to added Yakima crossbars and the brackets are only 5 bucks to attach round bars.

You can buy it in galvanized, stainless, and aluminum. White, Black and my ACME (Portland) has it in Forest Green! That would have been cool! Oh well.

It fits perfect in the factory roof channel.

Sounds very interesting to use Unistrut channels. Could you please post some pictures.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream

Island Jim

I just installed a Prime Design rear access ladder. I'm happy with the design, price, quality and ease of installation, no holes to drill, it clamps on to top and bottom of door. I am also looking at the rack they make, also seems like a quality product for a fair price, about $630. The rack has a full width roller across the back just what you need for loading kayaks!

sshankjr

I struggled to force myself to pay for a custom made aluminum roof rack. So I put on a Vantech H2 rack on my 4x4. I did modify it, though. Being manufactured as a construction/contractor type rack, it has enormous overhang on each side. So I shortened the cross bars about 8 inches. This will also allow for a Fiamma F45S to be reasonably flush with the side of the van when mounted to the side of the H2. I also left one crossbar out to make space for the roof vent. I hope this gives others an option instead of shelling out the big bucks.
This is GREAT! Been looking for exactly this kind of set up. I have a 2008 170/3500 with two fans on the roof. Curious about the total length? I've seen it listed as 123" (Vantech) and 173" on Amazon. I know there is also a 110" I need it to be 173 and from the looks of your pics on your rig, it looks to be that long. Just want to confirm.

Blathers

I know I am late to the game here, but thought I'd post in case it would be helpful to anyone down the line.

I bought VanTech's H2 for my 2013 3500 Sprinter 170. I have two fans on top - a Maxfann and a Fresair and was able to work around both - in fact, that is why I bought the H2. It is a really nice rack. I've seen videos, though, of people really frustrated with the install process…and have heard that not the right hardware always comes first time.

First, let me say that I did not do the install myself. Just can't.

Local mechanic did his best but did it incorrectly, only putting 1/4 of the rack on and leaving the rest in the box. Second installer, with bodywork expertise - did great. Box contained all of the necessary equipment and it goes around my two fans perfectly, which is exactly what I wanted!

Had a deck put on the back.

Hoping to install 600 watts of walkable solar on it next. If memory serves, I think the rack holds up to 750 lbs.

See picture.

Attachments

Iamghost

Great post!

I'm also curious about mounting - I just found this thread and checked out the website and see that the weight capacity is 750 pounds with just 4 feet/brackets. 250 pounds of additional capacity per additional pair of brackets.

I'm curious about the brackets - do they bolt through the roof? Does it require drilling through the roof? Any close ups or info on this would be great. My van's roof was damaged by the PO so the D/S channel has one large spot where the track isn't perfectly flat/straight - this rack may be perfect as it looks like you can choose where to position the mounts on the rack/roof.

Blathers

I will try to answer, but please bear in mind that I did not install this rack myself, but had it professionally done.

On my Sprinter, the roof RAILS had to be installed before the roof RACK could be installed. The roof rails required bolting through the roof (some Sprinters come with rails pre-installed from the factory; sounds like yours already has them.)

The H2 rack does not bolt through the roof. It bolts into the channels in the roof rails. There are special bolts that fit into the channels on the roof rails that allow you to attach things to them, including this rack.

I have a more recent picture of the rack that now has solar panels on it. We had a deck put on so we could install walkable solar panels so we can sit up on it and look at the stars on our upcoming cross-country trip!

I will try to get on a ladder to get a closer up shot of the attachment. Please feel free to remind me if I forget:)

Attachments

Top Bottom