Sportsmobile Pop Top vs Colorado Campervan Pop Top Comparison

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I get this question a lot since I build a lot of these so I thought I would post some comparisons a there seems to be so much inaccurate information on the tops mainly because people have never seen them side by side, owned both, or its a sales person who is biased because its their job to represent their company. No problem with that, :D: just have to understand you are talking to a sales person likely rather than an installer/engineer when you talk to builders most of the time, they are just doing their job.

I have owned both, several times on my personal vans. To be fair both tops are nice...but they are VERY different each one has it's +/-'s. I personally like the CCV top because its way larger in every aspect (height, width, bed, windows), insulation option, and more larger windows, plus most importantly you can put a fan on it. However the SMB top is lower profile, opens up the entire van with out moving any panels, and has nicer interior finish.

SMB tends to be a bit less when spec'd the same, but make sure you are adding all the options to make it complete to compare true accurate prices. CCV's base price is everything all in (less top paint match if needed)

When I have had people see the tops side by side...they are blown away on the size difference inside, but its really in my opinion compromise between inside space, total height, fan option, and if you want the bed to totally lift up. Really not apples to apples.

Size Comparison (Photos cannot do justice to the difference inside)

SMB CCV Comparison.jpg

Comparison2.jpg

side by side cheerios.jpg

Rigidity in wind or safety is different (given the CCV top keep C pillar intact)

https://youtu.be/J9OdazVXKTs

Openings: (with panels removed or lifted)

SMB Opening.jpg

CCV Opening 2.jpg

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Some other comments as well regarding use. Shades are a bit different; CCV has a zippered black out...and its black vs SMB you get some light in. The zipper corners in CCV are curved which makes them a bit easier to unzip vs the angled ones in SMB. CCV has a rear window as well and an insulation winter option for their tops. Again the are both nice in their own way...very different. This size difference however is huge...almost anyone can sit up in the CCV top, no way you can do this in an SMB...its just a lot lower. The sleeping width as well with the SMB is much narrower, with larger people you tend to hit the support bars...those few inches make a big difference if you are large or like a lot of room for your bed. To be transparent I prefer the CCV for its size and the fan; however its these things that also make the SMB one more attractive for others...compact and low profile SMB top as well as cost tends to be a bit less if you are comparing apples to apples in options.

Farfrumwork

I think another point of interest to a lot of folks would be install timeline.

I have heard that some people's CCV top install was 3+weeks, with at least a few unhappy folks being strung out longer than that.

My SMB top was on in 3days, and has few, if any, cosmetic issues. My bed-linered, paint matched top with canvas was sitting in the bay when I dropped off the van in Austin. Perfect match to my Stone Grey van.

I know the CCV tops have some usability plusses (size of penthouse), but I much prefer the look of the lower profile SMB top (you can't see it all from close up to the van, and it still looks like a low-top - which I love)

Is it perfect... no. But it's pretty close. :cheers:

Attachments

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I think another point of interest to a lot of folks would be install timeline.

I have heard that some people's CCV top install was 3+weeks, with at least a few unhappy folks being strung out longer than that.

My SMB top was on in 3days, and has few, if any, cosmetic issues. My bed-linered, paint matched top with canvas was sitting in the bay when I dropped off the van in Austin. Perfect match to my Stone Grey van.

I know the CCV tops have some usability plusses (size of penthouse), but I much prefer the look of the lower profile SMB top (you can't see it all from close up to the van, and it still looks like a low-top - which I love)

Is it perfect... no. But it's pretty close. :cheers:
True for sure. However to many people I deal with focus on time rather than what they want in the end for a quality result with the functions they want, that is why I posted this. CCV generally turns top only installs around 5-8 days, way longer for sure. However if you are going to have something done, have it done right, the way you want it, by the choosing the right builder, part, or tool. I see a lot of mistakes in peoples builds because focus is on speed or to save a few dollars. Cutting corners in the long run usually ends up in a poor or sub par result. Do it right the first time if this is a long term investment is my advice. Don't cheap out in materials, labor, or using the right tools to do the job yourself. You made the right decision based on your needs, neither top is perfect...just different.

Farfrumwork

^^true

Although I think I spent more money and time with SMB, as CCV is 40mi away from me... Austin is 900+mi away :thinking::laughing:

At least we got a family vacation in Austin out of the adventure.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Bed Dimensions for Sprinter CCV top, they do a Pop Top on a high roof, I have driven the van; its similar to having a high Aluminess rack on top of your van, its pretty high to get into, but if you have a large family...its an option that would work.

Low roof bed dimensions: 54" x 80"

High roof bed dimensions: 45" x 80" (due to the taper of van)​

Low roof - floor to pop top when top down - 75"

Low roof - floor to bottom of bed boards - 66"

High roof - floor to pop top when top down - 87"

High roof - floor to bottom of bed boards - 78"

SMB Bed Size: The mattress is in a form of a "T" vs a rectangle, you do notice the width a lot if two full size adults are sleeping, just like the CCV high roof top 45" width is on the narrow side for larger people. My teenage girls really noticed the width and height difference big time when we used a SMB Sprinter Top on our last big trip. They really did not like the smaller size of the top...its a pretty big difference.

Sprinter 40″ (waist/leg width) 53″ (at shoulders, only, upper part of bed)

beez

Slamit,
Any chance you could post some exterior photos for comparison? Open and closed too?
Thanks for this informative thread!
Chris

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Some good pics for comparison of both tops up/down and compared to a high roof Sprinter.

With Tops Down
Side top down.jpg

side pic.jpg

Tops Up
CCV Side shot up.jpg

smb side shot up.jpg

Side by Side (high roof sprinter, low roof sprinter with CCV top, Promaster with CCV Top)
Van Height Comparison.jpg

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
And for other pics-

High Roof Sprinter Top up/down. (CCV)

high roof down.jpg

high roof up.jpg

Can see why I am an expert when it comes to these tops...built a lot of these weekender vans with pop tops. :D: I posted this thread as I get so many questions on these tops and there needed to be information to help compare that wasn't from the manufactures.

If this thread helps you ...take some time to post one of your own on something you learned working on your van...its a way you can give back to all the free information you have benefited from others. Spread the Aloha!:thumbup:

Top Bottom